Hayes and Harlington

Rail station, existing between 1868 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.91.245.237 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Rail station · Hayes and Harlington · UB3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
September
7
2013
Up freight west of Hayes & Harlington

Hayes and Harlington is a railway station in the London Borough of Hillingdon.

The station is on Isambard Kingdom Brunel's former Great Western Main Line running out of London Paddington to the Thames Valley, Bristol, South Wales and the West Country.

The line was opened on 4 June 1838, initially running to a temporary Maidenhead station to allow completion of the famous brick arch bridge over the River Thames just west of the station. The station at Hayes opened in 1868.

From 1 March 1883, the station (then named Hayes) was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor. The service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885.

Hayes is the location of the junction for the Heathrow Airport branch and is a station on Crossrail.

The film 'Trains at Hayes Station' showing trains passing through the station with stereophonic sound was filmed from the roof of the defunct Aeolian pianola factory just north of the station. The factory had been purchased by HMV when the pianola company had collapsed owing to fraud and technological obsolescence. The film is almost the first demonstration of stereophonic sound to accompany moving pictures, an invention of Alan Blumlein.



Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


VIEW THE HAYES AND HARLINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAYES AND HARLINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAYES AND HARLINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAYES AND HARLINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HAYES AND HARLINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Hayes and Harlington

Hayes and Harlington is a railway station in the London Borough of Hillingdon.

The station is on Isambard Kingdom Brunel's former Great Western Main Line running out of London Paddington to the Thames Valley, Bristol, South Wales and the West Country.

The line was opened on 4 June 1838, initially running to a temporary Maidenhead station to allow completion of the famous brick arch bridge over the River Thames just west of the station. The station at Hayes opened in 1868.

From 1 March 1883, the station (then named Hayes) was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor. The service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885.

Hayes is the location of the junction for the Heathrow Airport branch and is a station on Crossrail.

The film 'Trains at Hayes Station' showing trains passing through the station with stereophonic sound was filmed from the roof of the defunct Aeolian pianola factory just north of the station. The factory had been purchased by HMV when the pianola company had collapsed owing to fraud and technological obsolescence. The film is almost the first demonstration of stereophonic sound to accompany moving pictures, an invention of Alan Blumlein.


Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice