Conlan Street, W10

Road in/near Kensal Town, existing between the 1870s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.205.246.238 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kensal Town · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JUNE
30
2015


Conlan Street lies between East Row and Middle Row, in Kensal Town, W10.

The street was not originally part of the plan of Kensal New Town - being driving through from East Row to Middle Row in the 1870s.

Conlan Street was the site, from 1910 onwards, of the Middle Row bus garage. This closed in 1981 and the space was taken over by the Buspace Studios which is the location of some industrial units and high end retailers.

Furthermore, the White Knight Laundry moved here from Kilburn in 1920.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO CONLAN STREET
VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kensal Town

Soapsuds Island

Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.

Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road, Middle Row, West Row, East Row and Southern Row all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.

The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.

The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.

Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.

In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.

By 1923 in the Southam Street area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932) · Adair Road · Adair Road · Adair Road · Adair Tower · Adela Street · Admiral Mews · Alderson Street · Alperton Street · Appleford Road · Ark Brunel Primary Academy · Athlone Gate · Bales College · Barfett Street · Bevington Primary School · Bevington Road · Bosworth Road · Branstone Street · Bruce Close · Caird Street · Chamberlayne Farm · Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910) · Corner of Rackham Street · Droop Street · Early Years Service at Holmfield House · East Row · Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance · Enbrook Street · Exmoor Street (1950) · Farrant Street · Galton Street · Golborne Children’s Centre · Golborne Mews · Golborne Road bridge (1960s) · Golborne Road · Harrow Road · Hazlewood Tower · Hewer Street · Hudson's the chemist (1906) · Huxley Street · Ilbert Street · Instituto Espanol Canada Blanch · James House Appleford Road · John Fearon Walk · Kensal House · Kensal House · Kensal Road · Kensal Town · Kilravock Street · Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900) · Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950) · Ladbroke Grove railway bridge · Ladbroke Grove · Lavie Mews · Lionel Mews · Lothrop Street (1907) · Lothrop Street · Maxilla Nursery School · Middle Row Bus Garage · Middle Row School · Middle Row · Mozart Street · Munro Mews · Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward · Peach Road · Porlock Street · Queen’s Park Primary School · Queens Park Estate · Queen’s Park Library · Rackham Street · Rackham Street · Raymede Street · Ronan Walk · Saint Ervans Road · Saint John the Evangelist · Saint Josephs Close · Saint Mary’s Catholic Primary School · Saint Michaels Gardens · Sion-Manning Catholic Girls’ School · Southam House Adair Road · St Charles Square after bombing (1950) · St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951) · St Martins Mission · St Thomas’ CofE Primary School · The Lloyd Williamson School · The St Marylebone Church of England Bridge School · The Victoria (1920s) · Tollbridge Close · Trellick Tower · Treverton Street · Wedlake Street Baths · Wedlake Street · West Row · Western Dwellings · Western Dwellings from below (1960s) · William Miller's Yard · Wornington Road ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Londonist
All-encompassing website
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.