Barclay Road, SW6

Road in/near Fulham Broadway, existing between the 1860s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.231.229.89 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Fulham Broadway · SW6 ·
July
8
2019

Barclay Road runs from Fulham Road to the rails of the District Line.

Early 20th century view looking south towards the railway.
Credit: London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
The history of Barclay Road is linked with that of Fulham, and later Walham Green. Originally part of Fulham Fields, and from Norman times the Manor of Fulham, it remained sparsely populated and predominantly involved in agriculture.

By 1706 this part of Fulham was being described as "a village in which lives a considerable number of people, mostly gardeners, whose kitchen greens, plants, herbs, roots and flowers dayly supply Westminster and Covent Gardens. Here are no houses of considerable note."

In 1813, Thomas Faulkner describes this part of Fulham as the "great kitchen garden, north of the Thames for supplying London". There were orchards of apples, pears, cherries, plums and walnuts, with soft fruit such as raspberries and gooseberries grown in between the trees. Once vegetable growing became more profitable, many orchards were replaced and land given over to vegetables. The market gardeners often cultivated a succession of crops throughout the year. Market gardeners, Faulkner tells us, were very prosperous.

Barclay Road, almost exactly, follows a long narrow field which ran north to south from Fulham Road. Both Rocque’s 1745 map of Middlesex, and Maclure’s map of 1853 show building plots or ’tenements’ along what is now Fulham Road. Behind the road are fields, market gardens and pasture. By the 1860s, the land that was to become Barclay Road was a large brickfield, confirming the gathering building boom.

The majority of the properties in Barclay Road were built in the Victorian Domestic style, dating from the 1860s. Rebuilding after Second World War bombing replaced some of them.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

Early 20th century view looking south towards the railway.
London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham


 

Fulham Broadway

Fulham Broadway station is notable as the nearest station to Stamford Bridge stadium, the home of Chelsea Football Club. The London Oratory School is also nearby.

Fulham Broadway station is notable as the nearest station to Stamford Bridge stadium, the home of Chelsea Football Club. The London Oratory School is also nearby.

The station was opened as Walham Green on 1 March 1880 when the District Railway (DR, now the District line) extended its line south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge. Due to the area’s poor Underground links, it is the station used locally by many residents of the western part of neighbouring Chelsea.

The original station building was replaced in 1905 with a new entrance designed by Harry W Ford to accommodate crowds for the newly built Stamford Bridge stadium. It is now a Grade II listed building.

The name was changed to its current form on 1 March 1952 after representations from Fulham Chamber of Commerce.

In 2003 the street-level station building at the southern end of the platform was closed and a new entrance was opened within the adjacent Fulham Broadway shopping centre. The shopping centre has the motto "Life Begins At Fulham Broadway". The old station building retains many of the original station signs and architectural features, including the historic terracotta block facade. The original footbridge remains in situ.
Print-friendly version of this page