Caldwell Street, SW9
Road in/near Oval, existing between 1829 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
Caldwell Street was originally called Holland Street.
It was built just before the 1830s dawned and was named Holland Street after Henry Richard Vassall, the third Baron Holland who owned this area.
The road was once a shopping street and was renamed Caldwell Street in the 1930s.
Only a small section of the original street remains on the western side and a tiny cottage on the far eastern end by Brixton Road
Caldwell Street (then Holland Street) in 1920
London Borough of Lambeth
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.