East Concourse, SW1V

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1960s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.80.60.248 
Abbey Orchard Street · Allington Street · Ambrosden Avenue · Ann’s Close · Apollo Victoria Theatre · Arneway Street · Artillery Place · Artillery Row · Ashley Gardens · Ashley Place · Beeston Place · Belgrave Mews North · Belgrave Mews South · Belgrave Place · Belgrave Road · Belgrave Square · Bessborough Gardens · Birdcage Walk · Birdcage Walk · Blandel Bridge · Bloomberg Street · Bloomburg Street · Bloomfield Terrace · Boscobel Place · Bressenden Place · Brewers Green · Bridge Place · Buckingham Palace · Buckingham Palace Gardens · Buckingham Palace Road · Buckingham Palace Road · Buckingham Palace Road · Buckingham Place · Bulleid Way · Burdett-Coutts and Townshend Foundation CofE Primary School · Burton Mews · Cardinal Walk · Carey Place · Carlisle Mansions · Carlisle Place · Castle Lane · Catherine Place · Cavalry Square · Cavalry Square · Chadwick Street · Chapel Street · Charlwood Place · Chesham Close · Chesham Mews · Chester Close · Chester Row · Chester Square · Churton Place · Coburg Close · Dean Bradley House · Dean Bradley Street · Douglas Street · Duke of York Square · East Road · Eaton Close · Eaton House Belgravia Pre-Preparatory School · Eaton Lane · Eaton Row · Eaton Square School · Ebury Bridge Road · Ebury Bridge · Ebury Farm · Ebury Mews · Ebury Square · Ebury Street · Ebury Strreet · Eccleston Bridge · Eccleston Bridge · Eccleston Square Mews · Eccleston Square · Eland House · Elizabeth Bridge · Elverton Street · Emery Hill Street · Esterbrooke Street · Evelyn Mansions · Fairley House School · Francis Holland School · Francis Holland School · Francis Street · Garden House School · Gillingham Row · Gillingham Street · Gordon House · Goring Hotel · Greencoat Place · Greenwood · Greycoat Gardens · Greycoat Place · Greycoat Street · Grosvenor Cottages · Grosvenor Gardens Mews East · Grosvenor Gardens Mews North · Grosvenor Gardens · Grosvenor Place · Guildhouse Street · Halkin Hotel · Harris Westminster Sixth Form · Hatherley Street · Hide Place · Hobart Place · Holbein Place · Holy Trinity CofE Primary School · Horse Hospital · Howick Place · Howick Place · Hudsons Place · Inchbald School of Design · King’s Scholars’ Passage · King’s Scholars’ Passage · Kingsgate Parade · Kinnerton Street · Knightsbridge and Belgravia Children’s Centre Information Point · Lambs Close · Lindsay Square · Little Ben · London Lock Hospital · Longmoore Street · Lower Belgrave Street · Lower Grosvenor Place · Lowndes Square · Lowndes Street · Lyall Mews West · Lyall Mews · Main Concourse · Medway Street · Monck Street · Moreton Place · Moreton Terrace Mews North · Morpeth Mansions Morpeth Mansions · Morpeth Mansions · Morpeth Terrace · Neat House Place · Neathouse Place · New Palace Yard · Old Barrack Yard · Old Pye Street · Ollin Street · Ormonde Place · Overbridge · Palace Street · Palace Street · Parker Street looking east (1905) · Passmore Street · Peabody Avenue · Peabody Avenue · Pembroke Close · Phipps Mews · Pimilco Walk · Pimlico · Pimlico Academy · Pimlico Primary · Pimlico Road · Pont Street · Portland House · Post Office Way · Queen Anne’s Gate · Ranelagh Grove · Regency Place · Rochester Row · Rochester Street · Roebuck House · Royal Mews · Rutherford Street · Saint George’s Drive · Seaforth Place · Sedding Street · Showing every photo/image so far featured · Sir Simon Milton Westminster University Technical College · Sloane Court East · Sloane Court East · Sloane Court West · Sloane Square · Sloane Square · Spenser Street · St Anns Street · St Barnabas Mews · St Barnabas’ CofE Primary School · St James the Less · St Matthew Street · St Matthew’s School · St Paul’s Church · St Peter’s Eaton Square CofE Primary School · St Vincent de Paul RC Primary School · St. Ermin’s Hill · St. James's Park · St. Matthew Street · Stag Place · Stillington Street · Strutton Ground · Tachbrook Mews · Terminus Place · Terminus Place · Terminus Place · The Grey Coat Hospital · The Royal Mews · The Royal Mews · Thirleby Road · Thorndike Street · Tothill Fields Bridewell · Udall Street · Upper Tachbrook Street · Vauxhall Bridge Road · Vauxhall Bridge Road · Victoria · Victoria Arcade · Victoria Arcade · Victoria Bus Station · Victoria Memorial · Victoria Palace Theatre · Victoria Square · Victoria Street · Victoria Street · Victoria Street · Victoria Subway · Victoria Walk · Vincent Square · Walcott Street · Warwick Place North · Warwick Row · Warwick Square Mews · West Eaton Place Mews · West Mews · Westminster Cathedral · Westminster Cathedral Choir School · Westminster Cathedral Choir School · Westminster Cathedral RC Primary School · Westminster City School · Westminster Palace Gardens · Westminster Under School · Westminster Under School · Whittaker Street · Wilcox Place · Wilfred Street · William Mews · Willow Place · Willow Place · Wilton Crescent · Wilton Place · Wilton Road · Wilton Street · Yaxley Veterinary Forge (c.1860)
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Victoria · SW1V · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000

East Concourse is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.


VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Victoria

The railways largely replaced the canals as a means of transport. Uniquely for a main line station, Victoria station was built on top of one.

Before the railway arrived in 1862, this area - like the area immediately south of it - was known as Pimlico. The Grosvenor Canal ended in a large basin here.

Victoria station’s origins lie with the Great Exhibition of 1851, when a railway called the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway came into existence, serving the site of the exhibition halls which had been transferred to Sydenham from Hyde Park. The terminus of that railway was at Stewarts Lane in Battersea on the south side of the river. In 1858 a joint enterprise was set up to take trains over the river: it was entitled the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway; and was a mile and a quarter in length. The railway was owned by four railway companies: the Great Western (GWR); London & North Western (LNWR); the London, Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR); and the London Chatham and Dover Railways (LCDR). It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1858.

The station was built in two parts: those on the western side, opened in 1862, with six platforms, ten tracks and an hotel (the 300-bedroom Grosvenor) were occupied by the Brighton company; whilst adjacent, and in the same year, the Chatham company were to occupy a less imposing wooden-fronted building. The latter’s station had nine tracks and was shared by broad-gauge trains of the GWR, whose trains arrived from Southall via the West London Extension Joint Railway through Chelsea. The GWR remained part owner of the station until 1932, although its trains had long since ceased to use it. Each side of the station had its own entrance and a separate station master; a wall between the two sections effectively emphasised that fact.

At the start of the twentieth century both parts of the station were rebuilt. It now had a decent frontage and forecourt, but not as yet a unified existence. Work on the Brighton side was completed in 1908 and was carried out in red brick; the Grosvenor Hotel was rebuilt at the same time. The Chatham side, in a Edwardian style with baroque elements, designed by Alfred Bloomfield, was completed a year later. The two sections were eventually connected in 1924 by removing part of a screen wall, when the platforms were renumbered as an entity. The station was redeveloped internally in the 1980s, with the addition of shops within the concourse, and above the western platforms.

The station was now serving boat trains, and during WWI it became the hub of trains carrying soldiers to and from France, many of them wounded. After the war the Continental steamer traffic became concentrated there, including the most famous of those trains, the Golden Arrow. The area around the station also became a site for other other forms of transport: a bus station in the forecourt; a coach terminal to the south; and it is now the terminal for trains serving Gatwick Airport.

Victoria is also well-served by London underground. The sub-surface Circle and District Lines opened on December 24, 1868; and the Victoria Line line came to Victoria Station with the third phase of construction of the line - the station’s platforms were opened on March 7, 1969, six months after the Victoria line had started running in outer London.
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

St. James’s Park
Facebook Page
Hyde Park Corner
Facebook Page
Victoria
Facebook Page
Pimlico
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.