Clayton Arms

Pub in/near Kensal Town, existed between 1849 and 1950

 HOME  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.158.30.219 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Pub · Kensal Town · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
November
6
2015


A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.

The Clayton Arms was situated at 9 West Row and was sometimes known by its alternative title: The Little House.

It first appears on documents dating from 1849 and appears to have finished business in the 1950s.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Add your own contribution to Clayton Arms.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Clayton Arms:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Frank Dawson
Frank Dawson   
Added: 17 Jun 2018 10:18 GMT   
IP: 2.102.14.169
2:1:1751
Post by Frank Dawson: Saint Marks Place, W11

My mum was the housekeeper for the vicar of St Marks Church which was in St Marks Place Notting Hill from 1961 until 1963. The vicarage was around the corner in Blenheim Ces. I can?t find any old photographs of the church

The Green family
The Green family   
Added: 17 Jun 2018 08:43 GMT   
IP: 82.23.32.120
2:2:1751
Post by The Green family: Rackham Street, W10

We lived at no 6 Rackham street until we were bombed out during the war.My father was Thomas Green and mother Hilda(Hall). It had a sweet shop and a Catholic church at the end of the road.

AxyokJeoks
AxyokJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:51 GMT   
IP: 151.106.25.70
2:3:1751
Post by AxyokJeoks: The Tabernacle

winward casino aol games casino jupiters casino gold coast https://ausonlinecasino.com/ - casino online

AuwurJeoks
AuwurJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:37 GMT   
IP: 151.106.25.70
2:4:1751
Post by AuwurJeoks: The Tabernacle

treasury casino casino online doubledown casino https://onlinecasinoaussie24.com/ - joe fortune casino

AjwulJeoks
AjwulJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:33 GMT   
IP: 151.106.25.70
2:5:1751
Post by AjwulJeoks: The Tabernacle

jupiters casino gold coast emu casino black diamond casino https://onlinecasinoaus24.com/ - star casino sydney

AwezoJeoks
AwezoJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 20:01 GMT   
IP: 195.154.187.245
2:6:1751
Post by AwezoJeoks: The Tabernacle

online casino games online casinos for us players online casino games https://casino-online2018.us.org/ - betfair online casino

AlkhrJeoks
AlkhrJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:56 GMT   
IP: 195.154.187.245
2:7:1751
Post by AlkhrJeoks: The Tabernacle

online casino slots online casino games gsn casino slots https://onlinecasinoss.us.org/ - online casino real money

AmkrdJeoks
AmkrdJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:55 GMT   
IP: 195.154.187.245
2:8:1751
Post by AmkrdJeoks: The Tabernacle

online casino gambling betfair online casino online casino gambling https://online-casinoss.us.org/ - online casino bonus

AwuegJeoks
AwuegJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:55 GMT   
IP: 195.154.187.245
2:9:1751
Post by AwuegJeoks: The Tabernacle

online casino online casino games online casino games https://onlinecasino-games.us.org/ - mgm online casino

AqimpJeoks
AqimpJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:48 GMT   
IP: 62.210.202.55
2:10:1751
Post by AqimpJeoks: The Tabernacle

buy painkillers online overnight tramadol generic tramadol 100mg https://buytramadol100mg.us.org/ - tramadol opioid

AlgnyJeoks
AlgnyJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:45 GMT   
IP: 62.210.202.55
2:11:1751
Post by AlgnyJeoks: The Tabernacle

buy tramadol tramadol 50mg tramadol 50 mg tablet https://buytramadol.us.org/ - tramadol hcl

AdffnJeoks
AdffnJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:43 GMT   
IP: 195.154.187.229
2:12:1751
Post by AdffnJeoks: The Tabernacle

treasury casino casino games raging bull casino https://ausonlinecasino.com/ - black diamond casino

AxspeJeoks
AxspeJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:37 GMT   
IP: 195.154.187.229
2:13:1751
Post by AxspeJeoks: The Tabernacle

raging bull casino mongoose casino crown casino https://onlicasinoaussi24.com/ - aol games casino

AngbxJeoks
AngbxJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:11 GMT   
IP: 195.154.178.60
2:14:1751
Post by AngbxJeoks: The Tabernacle

casino bonus online casinos casino play https://onlinecasinoslotsparty.com/ - real money casino

AexprJeoks
AexprJeoks   
Added: 16 Jun 2018 19:10 GMT   
IP: 62.210.202.55
2:15:1751
Post by AexprJeoks: The Tabernacle

tramadol hcl 50 mg tramadol hydrochloride tramadol hydrochloride https://tramadolhcl.us.com/ - tramadol hcl 50 mg tablet

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 13 Jun 2018 21:00 GMT   
IP:
3:16:1751
Post by LDNnews: Shepherds Bush Market
Hammersmith’s Annual Summer Festival is Back
Two months of fun, fitness and culture in Lyric Square

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/hfsummerfest1806.htm

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Kensal Town

Soapsuds Island

Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.

Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road, Middle Row, West Row, East Row and Southern Row all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.

The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.

The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.

Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.

In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.

By 1923 in the Southam Street area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 East Row, W10: Scott Hatton:   Scott Hatton lived here in 1960
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Ark Brunel Primary Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Bales College:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 20. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Chamberlayne Farm:   Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.
Color Printing Works:   Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Early Years Service at Holmfield House:   This is a children’s centre.
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance:   Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Instituto Espanol Canada Blanch:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 19. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Jack of Newbury:   The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Town:   Soapsuds Island
Lads of the Village:   One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Middle Row Bus Garage:   Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.
Middle Row School:   Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward:   Chapter 10 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Portobello Arms:   The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queens Park Estate:   The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Saint Mary’s Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Sion-Manning Catholic Girls’ School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Charles Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Charles Hospital:   The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Martins Mission:   Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St Thomas’ CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St. Joseph's Home:   St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
The Eagle:   The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Earl Derby:   The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters:   A lost pub of London W10
The Lloyd Williamson School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 1 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Plough:   From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road.
The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo):   A pub in Kensal Town
Wedlake Street Baths:   In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...
Western Arms:   The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932):   A wet day in London W10.
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900):   This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950):   Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge:   Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Lothrop Street (1907):   2015
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
St Charles Square after bombing (1950):   A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951):   Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
St Charles’ Square Training College (1908):   St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.
Western Dwellings from below (1960s):   This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.
William Miller's Yard:   William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adair Road, W10 · Adela Street, W10 · Admiral Mews, W10 · Alderson Street, W10 · Appleford House, W10 · Appleford Road, W10 · Athlone Gate, W10 · Barlby Gardens, W10 · Bevington Road, W10 · Bonchurch Road, W10 · Bosworth Road, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Briar Walk, W10 · Bruce Close, W10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Canal Close, W10 · Canal Way, W10 · Compton Road, NW10 · Conlan Street, W10 · Droop Street, W10 · East Row, W10 · Edenham Way, W10 · Elkstone Road, W10 · Embrook Street, W10 · Enbrook Street, W10 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Faraday Road, W10 · Farrant Street, W10 · Fifth Avenue, W10 · Fourth Avenue, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Golborne Gardens, W10 · Golborne Mews, W10 · Golborne Road, W10 · Harrow Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Hazlewood Crescent, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ilbert Street, W10 · James House Appleford Road, W10 · Kensal House, W10 · Kensal Road, W10 · Kilravock Street, W10 · Ladbroke Grove, W10 · Lavie Mews, W10 · Lionel Mews, W10 · Lothrop Street, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Marne Street, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Middle Row, W10 · Munro Mews, W10 · Peach Road, W10 · Pember Road, NW10 · Porlock Street, W10 · Portobello Road, W10 · Rackham Street, W10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Ronan Walk, W10 · Saint Michaels Gardens, W10 · Sixth Avenue, W10 · Southern Row, W10 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · Sycamore Walk, W10 · Telford Road, W10 · The Quadrant, W10 · Tollbridge Close, W10 · Treverton Street, W10 · Warfield Road, NW10 · Wedlake Street, W10 · Wellington Road, NW10 · West Row, W10 · Western Dwellings · Wheatstone Road, W10 · Wornington Road, W10 ·

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
Kensal Green
Facebook Page
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Londonist
All-encompassing website
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.