Lady Margaret RoadKentish Town is first recorded during the reign of King John (1208) as Kentisston.
runs north to Ospringe Road
with Leverton Street
and Montpelier Grove
running parallel to the east and west respectively.
In 1861 there were still fields to the north of Kentish Town - however the city suburbs were expanding from the south. The Midland Railway Line cut through Kentish Town and ran to St Pancras.
By 1875, Leverton Street
and Lady Margaret Road
were laid out perpendicular to Leighton Road
in an expanding grid of streets. By 1894 all the fields had been built over.
This network of streets was formerly part of a large estate owned by St John’s College, Cambridge. Lady Margaret Road
is named after Lady Margaret Beaufort, foundress of St John’s College. Burghley Road
is named after Lord Burghley, Chancellor to Elizabeth I and benefactor of St John’s. Similarly, College Lane
, Evangelist Road
and Lady Somerset Road
are street names linked to the estate of St John’s College.
On Lady Margaret Road
is the Grade II listed Catholic Church of Our Lady Help and there is a handful of shops.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Lady Margaret Road (1905)
User unknown/public domain
By 1456 Kentish Town was recognised as a thriving hamlet, and in this period a chapel of ease is recorded as being built for the inhabitants.
The early 19th century brought a lot of modernisation, causing a lot of the area’s rural charm, the River Fleet and the 18th century buildings to vanish.
Large amounts of land were purchased to build the first railway through the area, which can still be seen today. Kentish Town was a prime site for development as the Kentish Town Road
was the main route for the growing city of London to the South.
1877 saw the beginning of mission work in the area as it was, by then, poor. The mission first held their services outside but as their funding increased they built a mission house, chapel, and vicarage.
In 1912 the Church of St Silas the Martyr was finally erected and consecrated, and by December of that year it became a parish in its own right.
Kentish Town was to see further modernisation in the post-World War II period. This means that there are few signs of 19th century influence left in the area.
Today Kentish Town is a busy shopping and business area. It offers libraries, gyms and other entertainments to visitors and its community.
The station was opened by the Midland Railway in 1868 on the extension to its new London terminal at St Pancras.
The separate London Underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR), a precursor of the Northern line. The station was designed by Leslie Green with the ox-blood red glazed terracotta facade and the semi-circular windows at first floor level common to most of the original stations on the CCE&HR and its two associated railways, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway and Great Northern Piccadilly & Brompton Railway which opened the previous year.