Lodge Lane has existed since the late eighteenth century.
Finchley Lodge (from which Lodge Lane takes its name) may have existed by 1564 and was certainly there by 1667. Much of the estate was sold off by a man called Chapman in the 1820s for building after the enclosure of Finchley Common.
Minor roads grew up along the edge of Finchley Common with Swan Lane
, Woodside Lane
and Lodge Lane all existing by 1780. A footpath led from Woodside Lane
to Totteridge and a church path joined Whetstone to the northern part of Nether Street
Finchley had a number of named roads in the Middle Ages which have not been identified in modern times. Unidentified roads included Smiths Lane or Way (mentioned in 1422), Tromer Street (1424 and 1484), Merelfield Street (1429), Woodsend Lane (1436), Procession Lane (1452), Croftlethe Street (1457), Cowperes Lane (1463) and Bush Lane (1484).
Finchley Lodge was later reached by Lodge Lane.
Charles Jacques built twenty one cottages in Lodge Lane around 1824 and constructed Torrington Cottage as a residence. By the 1830s there were other houses and in 1837 a dissenting chapel, "Cottagers Chapel", which had been converted from the stables of Orchard Cottage.
The Torrington Arms was at the corner of the Great North Road and Lodge Lane by the late 1830s.
By 1839 North Finchley had at least five retail outlets including a blacksmith called Elizabeth Humphreys. These were on Lodge Lane rather than on the High Road
Some early-19th-century farm cottages still survive - otherwise the building along the lane is largely twentieth century.
Lodge Lane was the home of John Parr, the first British soldier to be killed in the First World War, and the actor David Jason.
User unknown/public domain
Woodside Park is a place in the London Borough of Barnet.
|VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
It is very varied in character. The area to the east of the tube station consists predominantly of large Victorian houses, many of which have been converted into flats.
The area grew because of Woodside Park station. This was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Torrington Park on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR).
The station was on a branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate. The station was renamed within a month of opening, and again in 1882.
After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. The station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940 and, after a period where the station was serviced by both operators, LNER services ended in 1941. The station still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today.
The north-western part of the area, which can also be regarded as the part of Totteridge in N12 rather than N20, is sometimes called Woodside Park Garden Suburb and consists of semi-detached or detached 3 to 4 bedroom houses built in the 1950s. It includes the Woodside Park Club.
The eastern boundary of the Garden Suburb is the Dollis Brook and the southern boundary is the Folly Brook. To the south of this Suburb is an area of 1920s and 1930s houses, where many of the roads are named after places in Sussex, such as Sussex Ring and Cissbury Ring.
Between the Garden Suburb and the Northern Line is an area originally of Victorian housing. Many of the houses, including the former residence of Spike Milligan, have been pulled down and replaced by modern housing or blocks of flats. Much of this area consists of a council estate where Emma Bunton grew up.
There is a small amount of commercial activity around the mini roundabout at Chanctonbury Way, which was originally the main shopping area for Woodside Park, providing basic services such as a post office, a butcher and an ironmonger. Since the creation of North Finchley shopping parade, many of the original shops have closed down and have been replaced by specialised businesses.