Mortimer Road, NW10

Road in/near Kensal Green

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.91.245.237 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Kensal Green · NW10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Mortimer Road is a street in Willesden.



ADD A STORY TO MORTIMER ROAD
VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kensal Green

Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.

Kensal Green is the site of Kensal Green Cemetery, the oldest English cemetery still in operation, which contains many elaborate Victorian mausoleums, including those of William Makepeace Thackeray and Anthony Trollope. Architects who are buried at Kensal Green are the famous Hardwick and Shaw family whose graves are by each others side.

Kensal Green is a residential area with good transport links to central London, surrounding districts include Willesden Green to the north, Harlesden to the west, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the east and Ladbroke Grove to the south. The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.

Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road, north of Harrow Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.

Kensal Green is first mentioned in 1253, translating from old English meaning the King's Holt (King’s Wood). Its location marked the boundary between Willesden and the then Chelsea & Paddington, on which it remains today. It formed part of one of ten manors, most likely Chamberlayne Wood Manor, named after Canon Richard de Camera (of the Chambers).

In the fifteenth century the then Archbishop of Canterbury Henry Chichele (1414–1443), acquired lands in Willesden and Kingsbury. In 1443 he found All Souls College, Oxford and endowed it with the same lands in his will. Resultantly, most of Willesden and Kensal Green remained largely agricultural until the mid-1800s, well into the Victorian era.
In 1805, the construction of the Grand Junction Canal passed through the district to join the Regent's Canal at Paddington. As the combined Grand Union Canal, this allowed passage of commercial freight traffic from the Midlands to London Docks, and hence onwards to the River Thames.

There were two dairy farms in Kensal Green by the early 1800s, which expanded greatly after the 1864 Act of Parliament which made it illegal to keep cattle within the City of London. Although by the late 1800s residential development had greatly reduced the farmland, still in the 1890s many sheep and pigs were raised in the district. One of the farms later became a United Dairies creamery, supplied by milk trains from Mitre Bridge Junction.

Rapid residential development led to local commissioners reporting in 1880 that there was inadequate drainage and sewerage facilities, with most houses having only improved access to what were the old agricultural drains. In that same year, All Souls College started to develop its lands north west of Kilburn Lane, including All Souls Avenue and College Road, with adjacent roads being named after leading Fellows of the college, and the installation of new sewerage facilities across the district. The college donated lands on which to build Kensal Rise Reading Room, to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, in 1897. Opened by United States author Mark Twain in 1901, it was later extended and renamed Kensal Rise Library.

Kensal Green station opened on 1 October 1916 on the New Line on the north side of the existing London and North Western Railway (LNWR) tracks from Euston to Watford.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Bales College:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 20. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Bassett House School:   Bassett House School is a mixed independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Chamberlayne Farm:   Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.
College Green School and Services:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
Color Printing Works:   Color (sic) Printing Works featured on the 1900 map of North Kensington.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Kensal Green:   Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Rise:   Former location of the National Athletic Grounds
Kensal Rise Library:   Kensal Rise Library was a public library opened by American author Mark Twain.
Kensington Memorial Park:   
La Petite Ecole Bilingue:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
La Petite Ecole Francaise:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Manor School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Notting Hill Barn Farm:   Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward:   Chapter 10 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Princess Frederica CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Princess Frederica School:   Princess Frederica School on the corner of College Road and Purves Road, NW10.
Princess Louise Hospital:   The Princess Louise Hospital for Children was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in 1928. It had 42 beds, an Out-Patients Department and Dispensary for Sick Women.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queens Park Community School:   Queens Park Community School (commonly abbreviated to QPCS) is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status.
Queens Park Community School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
St Charles Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   Further education (16 plus) which accepts students between the ages of 16 and 99.
St Charles Hospital:   The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs:   St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs - two spellings missing from the modern map.
St Quintin’s Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
The Plough:   From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road.
Three Trees Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Western Arms:   The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Harrow Road, Kensal Green (1900s):   The corner of Ravensworth Road and Harrow Road in NW10.
Kensal Rise (1907):   Motor buses at Kensal Rise station.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
Rural Chamberlayne Road (1900s):   Until after the first world war, the area north of Kensal Rise was still fields.
St Charles’ Square Training College (1908):   St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s):   Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Admiral Mews, W10 · Alma Place, NW10 · Alverstone Road, NW2 · Amery Gardens, NW10 · Archway Close, W10 · Ashburnham Road, NW10 · Aylestone Avenue, NW6 · Banister Road, W10 · Barlby Gardens, W10 · Barlby Road, W10 · Bassett Road, W10 · Bayford Road, NW10 · Blake Close, W10 · Bolton Gardens, NW10 · Bracewell Road, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Brewster Gardens, W10 · Bridge House, NW10 · Brondesbury Park, NW6 · Bryan Avenue, NW10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Burrows Road, NW10 · Calderon Place, W10 · Canal Close, W10 · Canal Way, W10 · Chamberlayne Road, NW10 · Chambers Lane, NW10 · Chambers Lane, NW2 · Chelmsford Square, NW10 · Chudleigh Road, NW6 · Clement Close, NW6 · Clifford Gardens, NW10 · College Road, NW10 · Compton Road, NW10 · Crediton Road, NW10 · Creighton Road, NW6 · Dalgarno Gardens, W10 · Dalgarno Way, W10 · Dundonald Road, NW10 · Earlsmead Road, NW10 · Egerton Gardens, NW10 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Eynham Road, W12 · Felixstowe Road, NW10 · Finstock Road, W10 · Fortune Gate Road, NW10 · Glenroy Street, W12 · Greyhound Road, NW10 · Halstow Road, NW10 · Hanover Road, NW10 · Hanover West, NW10 · Hardinge Road, NW10 · Harvist Road, NW10 · Hazel Road, NW10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Highlever Road, W10 · Hiley Road, NW10 · Hill Farm Road, W10 · Humber Drive, W10 · Irwin Gardens, NW10 · Kelfield Gardens, W10 · Kelfield Mews, W10 · Kempe Road, NW10 · Kempe Road, NW6 · Kensal House, W10 · Keslake Mansions, NW10 · Keslake Road, NW6 · Keslake Road, NW6 · Kings Parade, NW10 · Kingsbridge Road, W10 · Langler Road, NW10 · Latimer Place, W10 · Leigh Gardens, NW10 · Leighton Gardens, NW10 · Liddell Gardens, NW10 · Linden Avenue, NW10 · Manor House Drive, NW6 · Matthew Close, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Methwold Road, W10 · Milverton Road, NW6 · Mortimer Road, NW10 · Mount Pleasant Road, NW10 · Mount Pleasant Road, NW2 · Mount Pleasant Road, NW6 · North Pole Road, W10 · North Pole Road, W12 · Nursery Lane, W10 · Oakworth Road, W10 · Okehampton Road, NW10 · Okehampton Road, NW6 · Oxford Gardens, W10 · Pangbourne Avenue, W10 · Pember Road, NW10 · Peploe Road, NW6 · Phillimore Gardens, NW10 · Plough Close, NW10 · Porlock Street, W10 · Purves Road, NW10 · Rackham Street, W10 · Rainham Road, NW10 · Ravensworth Road, NW10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Rootes Drive, W10 · Saint Helens Gardens, W10 · Saint Mark’s Road, W10 · Saint Marks Road, W10 · Saint Quintin Avenue, W10 · Saint Quintin Gardens, W10 · Salters Road, W10 · Scrubs Lane, W12 · Shrewsbury Court, EC1Y · Shrewsbury Street, W10 · Sidmouth Parade, NW2 · Sidmouth Road, NW2 · Snarsgate Street, W10 · St Helens Gardens, W10 · St Hildas Close, NW6 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · St Margaret’s Road, NW10 · St Margaret’s Road, BR3 · St Marks Road, W10 · St Mark’s Road, W10 · St Quintin Avenue, W10 · St Quintin Gardens, W10 · St. Mark’s Road, W10 · St. Mark’s Road, W10 · Station Terrace, NW10 · Staverton Road, NW2 · Sunbeam Crescent, W10 · Sutton Way, W10 · The Quadrant, W10 · Tiverton Road, NW10 · Trevelyan Gardens, NW10 · Victor Road, NW10 · Wakeman Road, NW10 · Wallingford Avenue, W10 · Warfield Road, NW10 · Webb Close, W10 · Wellington Road, NW10 · Western Dwellings · Westview Close, W10 · Whitmore Gardens, NW10 · Wrentham Avenue, NW10 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Born in Willesden
Facebook group
Kensal Green
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.