London Lock Hospital

Hospital in/near Victoria, existed between 1747 and 1842

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.206.13.39 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Hospital · Victoria · SW1X ·
MAY
18
2012

The London Lock Hospital was the first venereal disease clinic.


The London Lock Hospital, which opened on 31 January 1747, was the most famous and first of the Lock Hospitals which were developed for the treatment of syphilis following the end of the use of lazar hospitals, as leprosy declined. The hospital later developed maternity and gynaecology services before being incorporated into the National Health Service in 1948, and finally closed in 1952.

A charitable society had been working to establish this hospital since July 1746. In November of that year a house was bought for this purpose in Grosvenor Place, London, near Hyde Park Corner. The founder of the hospital was William Bromfeild. After opening in January 1747, the hospital treated almost 300 patients during its first year; the demand for its services stemmed from the unfounded belief that the treatments then available could be effective.

Thomas Scott was a hospital chaplain here from 1785–1803. During this time he published his Commentary On The Whole Bible and became the founding Secretary of the Church Missionary Society.

The hospital moved in 1842 to 283 Harrow Road in Westbourne Grove. It was renamed The Female Hospital when a new site in Dean Street, Soho, opened for male outpatients in 1862; that was later expanded in 1867, as a result of the Contagious Diseases Act 1864.

The Lock Asylum for the Reception of Penitent Female Patients (also known as the Lock Rescue Home) was proposed in 1787 and opened in 1792 as a refuge for women who had been treated at the Lock Hospital. It was originally sited in Osnaburg Row and moved, first to Knightsbridge in 1812, and then to Lower Eaton Street in 1816. However this address was felt to be too far from the chapel at Grosvenor Square that might provide guidance and support for "fallen" women, so the Home moved again in 1849 to adjoin The Female Hospital in Harrow Road. By 1890 Harrow Road consisted of 140 inpatient beds and 40 asylum places for women.

The asylum changed its name in 1893, becoming known as a ’Rescue Home’. The full name of the hospital became the London Lock Hospital and Rescue Home.

A maternity unit opened in 1917 at The Female Hospital, followed by an ophthalmology unit and a genitourinary unit that treated venereal and non-venereal gynaecological disorders. During the Second World War it was used as a Military Isolation Hospital, with Dean Street treating both sexes. A new maternity centre opened at 283A Harrow Road in 1938 and with the formation of the National Health Service it became a part of Paddington Hospital until 1952.

The name dates back to the earlier leprosy hospitals, which came to be known as lock hospitals after the "locks", or rags, which covered the lepers’ lesions. This name was used as far back as medieval times, and was used by lock hospitals including those in Kingsland (established during the reign of Henry VIII) and Kent Street, Southwark as well as the one in Hyde Park Corner.

The memory of the hospital continues with the London Lock Hospital Memorial Prize in Sexually Transmitted Diseases at the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, which was established by bequest in 1965 by an old student and staff member of the school. With subsequent mergers of London medical schools, it is now part of the awards in communicable diseases for final year medical students at UCL Medical School.

xxx

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2542972


LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Aug 2019 15:30 GMT   
IP:
3:1:2776
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park
Stranger pays for puppy in Orpington with six legs to have wheelchair
Stranger pays for puppy in Orpington with six legs to have wheelchair

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/17851036.stranger-pays-puppy-orpington-six-legs-wheelchair/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Aug 2019 15:20 GMT   
IP:
3:2:2776
Post by LDNnews: Bond Street
Brentford must step up and not just rely on Pontus Jansson, says head coach Thomas Frank
Thomas Frank has told his Brentford squad they need to all step up and be leaders, instead of relying on Pontus Jansson.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/brentford-must-step-up-and-not-just-rely-on-pontus-jansson-says-head-coach-thomas-frank-a4218211.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Aug 2019 05:40 GMT   
IP:
3:3:2776
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus



https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/parents-ordered-to-pay-compensation-for-three-youths-who-trashed-model-railway-a4217011.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Aug 2019 05:40 GMT   
IP:
3:4:2776
Post by LDNnews: Sloane Square
Eliza Stevens murder: Man who stabbed partner 86 times out of 'rage and resentment' in Hendon flat jailed for life
A 55-year-old jeweller from north London who fatally stabbed his partner 86 times in a fit of "self-pity, rage and resentment" has been jailed for at least 21 years.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/eliza-stevens-murder-north-london-man-who-stabbed-partner-86-times-out-of-rage-and-resentment-jailed-a4217641.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Aug 2019 15:20 GMT   
IP:
3:5:2776
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park
Armed police go to Burnt Ash Lane, Bromley after gunman reported

Armed police responded to a call yesterday suggesting a man was seen with a firearm.


https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/17848940.armed-police-go-burnt-ash-lane-bromley-gunman-reported/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Aug 2019 14:40 GMT   
IP:
3:6:2776
Post by LDNnews: Bond Street
Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi to stay and fight for place in Frank Lampard's team
Michy Batshuayi wants to stay and fight for his place at Chelsea but will reassess the situation in January.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/chelsea-striker-michy-batshuayi-to-stay-and-fight-for-place-in-frank-lampards-team-a4217246.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Aug 2019 05:40 GMT   
IP:
3:7:2776
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Marchioness disaster: The night of the tragedy
Fifty-one people were killed when the pleasure boat collided with a dredger on the River Thames.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49393248

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Aug 2019 05:40 GMT   
IP:
3:8:2776
Post by LDNnews: Sloane Square
Paralympian Lord Holmes denies sexually touching a woman
Lord Holmes of Richmond is accused of touching the woman in a London hotel earlier this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49393251

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2019 16:20 GMT   
IP:
3:9:2776
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park
Summer scheme sees Mitcham kids enjoy a day out at the football
It has been a two weeks to remember for kids from the Phipps Bridge Community Centre as they mingled with some of AFC Wimbledon’s rising stars.

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/17846915.summer-scheme-sees-mitcham-kids-enjoy-day-football/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2019 15:40 GMT   
IP:
3:10:2776
Post by LDNnews: Bond Street
Kurt Zouma unfazed by Chelsea critics: 'I've worked hard to come back from the shadows'
Kurt Zouma has insisted he is unaffected by recent criticism and claimed his detractors have no idea how difficult his journey has been from the "shadows" to the Chelsea first team.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/kurt-zouma-unfazed-by-chelsea-critics-i-have-worked-hard-to-come-back-from-the-shadows-a4216231.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2019 06:30 GMT   
IP:
3:11:2776
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Owen Jones insists he is 'not rattled' after being 'kicked in head' outside north London pub
Owen Jones has insisted he is "not rattled" after he was allegedly kicked in the head and thrown to the floor outside a north London pub.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/owen-jones-insists-he-is-not-rattled-after-being-kicked-in-head-outside-north-london-pub-a4215721.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2019 06:20 GMT   
IP:
3:12:2776
Post by LDNnews: Sloane Square
Stop and search: What are your rights?
With police stop and search powers set to expand what are your rights when approached?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49370673

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2019 15:27 GMT   
IP:
3:13:2776
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
The bridge over the Westbourne at Sloane Square was called Blandel Bridge and was later renamed Grosvenor Bridge.
The bridge over the Westbourne at Sloane Square was called Blandel Bridge and was later renamed Grosvenor Bridge.

https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=37052

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2019 13:40 GMT   
IP:
3:14:2776
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park
Forty-one home development in Putney gets approved
A new 41-home development has been given the go-ahead in Putney.

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/17844105.forty-one-home-development-putney-gets-approved/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2019 13:30 GMT   
IP:
3:15:2776
Post by LDNnews: Bond Street
Frank Lampard is aiming to avoid a hat-trick of defeats as Chelsea manager when Leicester head to west London this afternoon.
Frank Lampard is aiming to avoid a hat-trick of defeats as Chelsea manager when Leicester head to west London this afternoon.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/chelsea-vs-leicester-city-2019-premier-league-prediction-tickets-live-stream-tv-team-news-preview-a4215676.html

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE VICTORIA AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Victoria

The railways largely replaced the canals as a means of transport. Uniquely for a main line station, Victoria station was built on top of one.

Before the railway arrived in 1862, this area - like the area immediately south of it - was known as Pimlico. The Grosvenor Canal ended in a large basin here.

Victoria station’s origins lie with the Great Exhibition of 1851, when a railway called the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway came into existence, serving the site of the exhibition halls which had been transferred to Sydenham from Hyde Park. The terminus of that railway was at Stewarts Lane in Battersea on the south side of the river. In 1858 a joint enterprise was set up to take trains over the river: it was entitled the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway; and was a mile and a quarter in length. The railway was owned by four railway companies: the Great Western (GWR); London & North Western (LNWR); the London, Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR); and the London Chatham and Dover Railways (LCDR). It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1858.

The station was built in two parts: those on the western side, opened in 1862, with six platforms, ten tracks and an hotel (the 300-bedroom Grosvenor) were occupied by the Brighton company; whilst adjacent, and in the same year, the Chatham company were to occupy a less imposing wooden-fronted building. The latter’s station had nine tracks and was shared by broad-gauge trains of the GWR, whose trains arrived from Southall via the West London Extension Joint Railway through Chelsea. The GWR remained part owner of the station until 1932, although its trains had long since ceased to use it. Each side of the station had its own entrance and a separate station master; a wall between the two sections effectively emphasised that fact.

At the start of the twentieth century both parts of the station were rebuilt. It now had a decent frontage and forecourt, but not as yet a unified existence. Work on the Brighton side was completed in 1908 and was carried out in red brick; the Grosvenor Hotel was rebuilt at the same time. The Chatham side, in a Edwardian style with baroque elements, designed by Alfred Bloomfield, was completed a year later. The two sections were eventually connected in 1924 by removing part of a screen wall, when the platforms were renumbered as an entity. The station was redeveloped internally in the 1980s, with the addition of shops within the concourse, and above the western platforms.

The station was now serving boat trains, and during WWI it became the hub of trains carrying soldiers to and from France, many of them wounded. After the war the Continental steamer traffic became concentrated there, including the most famous of those trains, the Golden Arrow. The area around the station also became a site for other other forms of transport: a bus station in the forecourt; a coach terminal to the south; and it is now the terminal for trains serving Gatwick Airport.

Victoria is also well-served by London underground. The sub-surface Circle and District Lines opened on December 24, 1868; and the Victoria Line line came to Victoria Station with the third phase of construction of the line - the station’s platforms were opened on March 7, 1969, six months after the Victoria line had started running in outer London.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.