Three Mill Lane, E3

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.91.245.237 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Bow · E3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Three Mill Lane is one of the streets of London in the E3 postal area.



ADD A STORY TO THREE MILL LANE
VIEW THE BOW AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOW AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOW AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOW AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BOW AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Bow

Bow lies at the heart of London’s East End.

The area was formerly known as Stratford, and "Bow" is an abbreviation of the medieval name Stratford-atte-Bow, in which "Bow" refers to a bridge built in the early 12th century. Bow is adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and a section of the district is part of the park.

Old Ford, and with it Fish Island, are usually taken to be part of Bow, but Bromley-by-Bow (historically and officially just ’Bromley’) immediately to the south, is a separate locality. These distinctions have their roots in historic parish boundaries.

Stratforde was first recorded as a settlement in 1177. The ford originally lay on a pre-Roman trackway at Old Ford about 600 metres to the north, but when the Romans decided on Colchester as the initial capital for their occupation, the road was upgraded to run from the area of London Bridge, as one of the first paved Roman roads in Britain. The ’paved way’ is likely to refer to the presence of a stone causeway across the marshes, which formed a part of the crossing.

In 1110 Matilda, wife of Henry I, reputedly took a tumble at the ford on her way to Barking Abbey, and ordered a distinctively bow-shaped, three-arched bridge to be built over the River Lea, The like of which had not been seen before; the area became known variously as Stradford of the Bow, Stratford of the Bow, Stratford the Bow, Stratforde the Bowe, and Stratford-atte-Bow’ (at the Bow) which over time was shortened to Bow to distinguish it from Stratford Langthorne on the Essex bank of the Lea. Land and Abbey Mill were given to Barking Abbey for maintenance of the bridge, who also maintained a chapel on the bridge dedicated to St Katherine, occupied until the 15th century by a hermit. This endowment was later administered by Stratford Langthorne Abbey. By 1549, this route had become known as The Kings Way.

Permission was given to build a chapel of ease to allow the residents a local place to worship. The land was granted by Edward III, on the King’s highway, thus beginning a tradition of island church building. In 1556, during the reign of Mary I of England and under the authority of Edmund Bonner, Bishop of London, many people were brought by cart from Newgate and burned at the stake in front of Bow Church, in one of the many swings of the English Reformation.

During the 17th century Bow and the Essex bank became a centre for the slaughter and butchery of cattle for the City market. This meant a ready supply of cattle bones, and local entrepreneurs Thomas Frye and Edward Heylyn developed a means to mix this with clay and create a form of fine porcelain, said to rival the best from abroad, known as Bow Porcelain.

The Bow China Works prospered, employing some 300 artists and hands, until about 1770, when one of its founders died. By 1776 all of its moulds and implements were transferred to a manufacturer in Derby. In 1867, during drainage operations at the match factory of Bell & Black at Bell Road, St. Leonard’s Street, the foundations of one of the kilns were discovered, with a large quantity of ’wasters’ and fragments of broken pottery. The houses close by were then called China Row, but now lie beneath modern housing. Chemical analysis of the firing remains showed them to contain high quantities of bone-ash, pre-dating the claim of Josiah Spode to have invented the bone china process.

In 1843 the engineer William Bridges Adams founded the Fairfield Locomotive Works, where he specialized in light engines, steam railcars (or railmotors) and inspection trolleys, including the Fairfield steam carriage for the Bristol and Exeter Railway and the Enfield for the Eastern Counties Railway. The business failed and the works closed circa 1872, later becoming the factory of Bryant and May.

Bow was the headquarters of the North London Railway, which opened its locomotive and carriage workshops in 1853. There were two stations, Old Ford and Bow. During World War 2 the North London Railway branch from Dalston to Poplar through Bow was so badly damaged that it was abandoned.

Bow station opened in 1850 and was rebuilt in 1870 in a grand style, designed by Edwin Henry Horne and featuring a concert hall that was 100 ft long (30 m) and 40 ft wide (12 m). This became The Bow and Bromley Institute, then in 1887 the East London Technical College and a Salvation Army hall in 1911. From the 1930s it was used as the Embassy Billiard Hall and after the war became the Bow Palais, but was demolished in 1956 after a fire.

The safety match industry became established in Bow. In 1888, a match girls’ strike occurred at the Bryant and May match factory in Fairfield Road. This was a forerunner of the suffragette movement fight for women’s rights and also the trade union movement. The factory was rebuilt in 1911 and the brick entrance includes a depiction of Noah’s Ark and the word ’Security’ used as a trademark on the matchboxes. Match production ceased in 1979 and the building is now private apartments known as the Bow Quarter.

Bow underwent extensive urban re-generation including the replacement or improvement of council homes, such redevelopment and rejuvenation coinciding with the staging of the 2012 Olympic Games at nearby Stratford.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbey Lane Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Abbey Mills Pumping Station:   Abbey Mills pumping station is a much-​​admired masterpiece of Victorian public works engineering, built in 1865–8 and nicknamed ’the cathedral of sewage’.
ArcelorMittal Orbit:   The ArcelorMittal Orbit is a high observation tower in the Olympic Park in Stratford, London.
Bow:   Bow lies at the heart of London’s East End.
Bow School:   Community school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Carpenters Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Central Foundation Girls’ School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Childrens House Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Culloden Primary - A Paradigm Academy:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
East London Arts & Music:   Free schools 16 to 19 (16 plus) which accepts students between the ages of 16 and 19. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
East London Science School:   Free schools (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Ian Mikardo School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18.
Langdon Park Community School:   Community school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
London Academy of Excellence:   Free schools 16 to 19 (16 plus) which accepts students between the ages of 16 and 19.
London Aquatics Centre:   The London Aquatics Centre is an indoor facility with two 50-metre swimming pools and a 25-metre diving pool in Olympic Park at Stratford.
Malmesbury Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Manorfield Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Marner Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Old Ford Nature Reserve:   Old Ford Nature Reserve, not accessible to the public, is a small area in a bend of a branch of the River Lea in the shadow of the London Olympic Stadium. It consists of grassland and is surrounded by trees.
Old Palace Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Stratford:   Stratford station is a large multilevel railway station in Stratford, east London. The station served as a key arrival point for the London 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics.
The Big Breakfast:   The Big Breakfast was a British light entertainment television show shown on Channel 4 each weekday morning from 28 September 1992 until 29 March 2002 during which period 2,482 shows were produced. It was produced in a house in East London next to the Old River Lea.
The Cherry Trees School:   Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.
Walford:   Walford is a fictional borough of east London in the BBC soap opera EastEnders.
Water Polo Arena:   The Water Polo Arena was a venue of the 2012 Summer Olympics held in London from 27 July to 12 August 2012.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbey Lane, E15 · Abbotsbury Close, E15 · Abbott Road, E14 · Ailsa Street, E14 · Ailsa Street, E16 · Alfred Street, E3 · Andrew Street, E14 · Annie Besant Close, E3 · Armagh Road, E3 · Arrow Road, E3 · Autumn Street, E3 · B140, E3 · Baldock Street, E3 · Balmore Close, E14 · Beachy Road, E3 · Benworth Street, E3 · Biggerstaff Road, E15 · Bisson Road, E15 · Blackthorn Street, E3 · Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach, E14 · Blaker Road, E15 · Blondin Street, E3 · Bow Arts Lane, E3 · Bow Exchange, E3 · Brickfield Road, E14 · Brickfield Road, E3 · Bridgewater Road, E15 · Bridgwater Road, E15 · Bright Street, E14 · Brion Place, E14 · Britten Court, E15 · Brock Place, E3 · Bromley Hall Road, E14 · Bromley High Street, E3 · Bruce Road, E3 · Brymay Close, E3 · Burcham Street, E14 · Burford Road, E15 · Byron Street, E14 · Cam Road, E15 · Campbell Road, E3 · Candy Street, E3 · Cardigan Road, E3 · Carpenters Ro, E15 · Carpenters Road, E15 · Carpenters Road, E20 · Caxton Grove, E3 · Cedar Close, E3 · Celtic Street, E14 · Chadbourn Street, E14 · Channelsea Path, E15 · Channelsea Road, E15 · Claypole Road, E15 · Clearun Wharf Marshgate Lane, E15 · Coborn Road, E3 · Coborn Street, E3 · Cook’s Road, E3 · Copton Close, E3 · Cranwell Close, E3 · Crown Close, E3 · Dace Road, E3 · Dee Street, E14 · Dennison Point, E15 · Devas Street, E3 · Devons Road, E3 · Dewberry Street, E14 · Doran Walk, E15 · Douro Street, E3 · Dye House Lane, E3 · Dyehouse Lane, E3 · East Cross Route, E3 · Eastside Mews, E3 · Edgar Road, E3 · Empson Street, E3 · Ettrick Street, E14 · Fairfield Road, E3 · Farthingale Walk, E15 · Fern Street, E3 · Four Seasons Close, E3 · Friendship Way, E15 · Furze Street, E3 · Gale Street, E3 · Garrison Road, E3 · Gay Road, E15 · Gibbins Road, E15 · Gillender Street, E14 · Gillender Street, E3 · Glaucus Street, E3 · Grace Street, E3 · Greenway, E3 · Hallings Wharf Studios, E15 · Hancock Road, E15 · Hancock Road, E3 · Harley Grove, E3 · Hartfield Terrace, E3 · Hawgood Street, E3 · Hay Currie Street, E14 · Hereford Road, E3 · Hewison Street, E3 · Heylyn Square, E3 · High Street, E15 · High Street, E20 · Hunts Lane, E15 · Hutchins Close, E15 · Iceland Road, E3 · Imperial Street, E3 · International Business Park, E15 · Jebb Street, E3 · Jodrell Road, E3 · Joshua Street, E14 · Jupp Road West, E15 · Jupp Road, E15 · Kennard Road, E15 · Kerrison Road, E15 · Lawrence Close, E3 · Lefevre Walk, E3 · Leggatt Road, E15 · Legion Terrace, E3 · Leven Road, E14 · Lexington Building, E3 · Livingstone Road, E15 · Lochnagar Street, E14 · London Orbital, RM20 · Maddams Street, E3 · Mallard Point, E3 · Malmesbury Road, E3 · Maltings Close, E3 · Manhattan Building, E3 · Marshgate Lane, E15 · Marshgate Trading Estate, E15 · Maverton Road, E3 · Meesons Wharf, E15 · Meridian Square, E15 · Monier Road, E3 · Montfichet Road, E15 · Montfichet Road, E20 · Montfitchet Road, E15 · Montfitchet Road, E20 · Morville Street, E3 · Mostyn Grove, E3 · Nairn Street, E14 · Nelson Walk, E3 · Nelson Walk, SE16 · New lane under construction, E13 · North Crescent, E16 · North Crescent, E3 · North Cresent, E16 · Oban Street, E14 · Ollerton Green, E3 · Ordell Road, E3 · Otis Street, E3 · Otter Close, E15 · Pancras Way, E3 · Park Lane, E15 · Parnell Road, E3 · Patrick Connolly Gardens, E3 · Powis Road, E3 · Priory Street, E3 · Pudding Mill Lane, E15 · Purdy Street, E3 · Rainhill Way, E3 · Redwood Close, E3 · Reeves Road, E3 · Regent Square, E3 · Remus Road, E3 · Rick Roberts Way, E15 · Ridgdale Street, E3 · River Side Road, E16 · Roach Point Bridge, E3 · Roach Road, E3 · Rosher Close, E15 · Rowse Close, E15 · Saint Leonard’s Street, E3 · Service Route No 1, E15 · Shortwall, E15 · Shortwall, E3 · Smeed Road, E3 · South Crescent, E16 · South Crescent, E3 · South Cresent, E16 · Spey Street, E14 · Springwood Close, E3 · St Andrews Way, E14 · St Leonards Road, E14 · St Leonards Street, E3 · Stanley Road, E15 · Station Street, E15 · Stour Road, E3 · Stratford Circus, E15 · Stratford Gate, E20 · Stratford High Street, E15 · Stratford Station Approach, E15 · Stratford Walk, E20 · Streimer Road, E15 · Stroudley Walk, E3 · Sugar House Lane, E15 · Sugar House Yard, E15 · Taft Way, E3 · Talwin Street, E3 · Tamar Close, E3 · Teviot Street, E14 · The Mill, E15 · Thomas Fyre Drive, E3 · Thornton Bridge, E20 · Thornton Street, E15 · Thornton Street, E20 · Three Mill Lane, E3 · Three Mills Wall River Path, E15 · Tibbatt’s Road, E3 · Tiber Close, E3 · Towcester Road, E3 · Tredegar Road, E3 · Trellis Square, E3 · Truman Way, E3 · Twelvetrees Crescent, E16 · Twelvetrees Crescent, E3 · Union Street, E15 · Usher Road, E3 · Venue Street, E14 · Violet Road, E3 · Voysey Square, E3 · Ward Road, E15 · Warton Road, E15 · Washington Close, E3 · Watts Grove, E3 · Wendon Street, E3 · Whitton Walk, E3 · Wick Lane, E3 · William Guy Gardens, E3 · Wilmer Lea Close, E15 · Wise Road, E15 · World Square, E15 · Wrexham Road, E3 · Wyke Road, E3 · Wyvis Street, E14 · Yeo Street, E3 · Zetland Street, E14 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Pudding Mill Lane
Facebook Page
Bromley-by-Bow
Facebook Page
Star Lane
Facebook Page
Abbey Road
Facebook Page
Stratford High Street
Facebook Page
Devons Road
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.