Plough Close, NW10

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.227.186.112 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Kensal Green · NW10 ·
JANUARY
1
2000


Plough Close is a street in Willesden.



ADD A STORY TO PLOUGH CLOSE
VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kensal Green

Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.

Kensal Green is the site of Kensal Green Cemetery, the oldest English cemetery still in operation, which contains many elaborate Victorian mausoleums, including those of William Makepeace Thackeray and Anthony Trollope. Architects who are buried at Kensal Green are the famous Hardwick and Shaw family whose graves are by each others side.

Kensal Green is a residential area with good transport links to central London, surrounding districts include Willesden Green to the north, Harlesden to the west, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the east and Ladbroke Grove to the south. The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.

Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road, north of Harrow Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.

Kensal Green is first mentioned in 1253, translating from old English meaning the King's Holt (King’s Wood). Its location marked the boundary between Willesden and the then Chelsea & Paddington, on which it remains today. It formed part of one of ten manors, most likely Chamberlayne Wood Manor, named after Canon Richard de Camera (of the Chambers).

In the fifteenth century the then Archbishop of Canterbury Henry Chichele (1414–1443), acquired lands in Willesden and Kingsbury. In 1443 he found All Souls College, Oxford and endowed it with the same lands in his will. Resultantly, most of Willesden and Kensal Green remained largely agricultural until the mid-1800s, well into the Victorian era.
In 1805, the construction of the Grand Junction Canal passed through the district to join the Regent's Canal at Paddington. As the combined Grand Union Canal, this allowed passage of commercial freight traffic from the Midlands to London Docks, and hence onwards to the River Thames.

There were two dairy farms in Kensal Green by the early 1800s, which expanded greatly after the 1864 Act of Parliament which made it illegal to keep cattle within the City of London. Although by the late 1800s residential development had greatly reduced the farmland, still in the 1890s many sheep and pigs were raised in the district. One of the farms later became a United Dairies creamery, supplied by milk trains from Mitre Bridge Junction.

Rapid residential development led to local commissioners reporting in 1880 that there was inadequate drainage and sewerage facilities, with most houses having only improved access to what were the old agricultural drains. In that same year, All Souls College started to develop its lands north west of Kilburn Lane, including All Souls Avenue and College Road, with adjacent roads being named after leading Fellows of the college, and the installation of new sewerage facilities across the district. The college donated lands on which to build Kensal Rise Reading Room, to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, in 1897. Opened by United States author Mark Twain in 1901, it was later extended and renamed Kensal Rise Library.

Kensal Green station opened on 1 October 1916 on the New Line on the north side of the existing London and North Western Railway (LNWR) tracks from Euston to Watford.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Ark Burlington Danes Academy:   Burlington Danes Academy is a Church of England non-selective, co-educational secondary school within the English academy programme, located on a 10-acre site.
Capital City Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
College Green School and Services:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
Donnington Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Haycroft Farm:   Haycroft Farm stood on Harlesden Road.
Kenmont Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Kensal Green:   Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.
Kensal Rise Library:   Kensal Rise Library was a public library opened by American author Mark Twain.
Kensington Aldridge Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Little Wormwood Scrubs Recreation Ground:   
Princess Frederica CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Princess Frederica School:   Princess Frederica School on the corner of College Road and Purves Road, NW10.
St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs:   St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubbs - two spellings missing from the modern map.
Treetops Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Woodlane High School:   Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Harrow Road, Kensal Green (1900s):   The corner of Ravensworth Road and Harrow Road in NW10.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Alexander Avenue, NW10 · All Souls Avenue, NW10 · Alma Place, NW10 · Amery Gardens, NW10 · Ashburnham Road, NW10 · Bathurst Gardens, NW10 · Bayford Road, NW10 · Bolton Gardens, NW10 · Bracewell Road, W10 · Bramston Road, NW10 · Brewster Gardens, W10 · Bryan Avenue, NW10 · Buchanan Gardens, NW10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Burrows Road, NW10 · Calderon Place, W10 · Chambers Lane, NW10 · Chambers Lane, NW2 · Chelmsford Square, NW10 · College Road, NW10 · Compton Road, NW10 · Cross Way, NW10 · Cumberland House, NW10 · Cumberland Park, NW10 · Dairy Close, NW10 · Dalgarno Gardens, W10 · Dobree Avenue, NW10 · Donnington Road, NW10 · Doyle Gardens, NW10 · Earlsmead Road, NW10 · Egerton Gardens, NW10 · Eynham Road, W12 · Felixstowe Road, NW10 · Fortune Gate Road, NW10 · Furness Road, NW10 · Glenroy Street, W12 · Greyhound Road, NW10 · Halstow Road, NW10 · Hardinge Road, NW10 · Harlesden Road, NW10 · Haycroft Gardens, NW10 · Hazel Road, NW10 · Herbert Gardens, NW10 · Highlever Road, W10 · Hiley Road, NW10 · Holberton Gardens, NW10 · Holland Road, NW10 · Irwin Gardens, NW10 · Kenmont Gardens, NW10 · Langler Road, NW10 · Leighton Gardens, NW10 · Letchford Gardens, NW10 · Letchford Mews, NW10 · Linden Avenue, NW10 · Lushington Road, NW10 · Mitre Way, NW10 · Mitre Way, W10 · Monson Road, NW10 · Mortimer Road, NW10 · Napier Road, NW10 · Nascot Street, W12 · North Pole Road, W10 · North Pole Road, W12 · Nursery Lane, W10 · Odessa Road, NW10 · Palermo Road, NW10 · Pember Road, NW10 · Peter Avenue, NW10 · Phillimore Gardens, NW10 · Plough Close, NW10 · Ponsard Road, NW10 · Pump Track, IG6 · Purves Road, NW10 · Rainham Road, NW10 · Ravensworth Road, NW10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Ridley Road, NW10 · Rigeley Road, NW10 · Robson Avenue, NW10 · Rowdon Avenue, NW10 · Saint Quintin Gardens, W10 · Scrubs Lane, NW10 · Scrubs Lane, W10 · Scrubs Lane, W12 · Shinfield Street, W12 · Sidmouth Parade, NW2 · Snarsgate Street, W10 · St Margaret’s Road, NW10 · St Margaret’s Road, BR3 · St Quintin Gardens, W10 · Staverton Road, NW2 · Sutton Way, W10 · Trenmar Gardens, NW10 · Uffington Road, NW10 · Valliere Road, NW10 · Victor Road, NW10 · Wakeman Road, NW10 · Waldo Road, NW10 · Warfield Road, NW10 · Webb Close, W10 · Wellington Road, NW10 · Westview Close, W10 · Woodmans Mews, W12 · Wrottesley Road, NW10 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Born in Willesden
Facebook group
Kensal Green
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.