Springwood Close, Harefield, Middlesex

Road in/near Harefield

Anderson Close · Ash Grove · Bankside Close · Barden Close · Barrington Drive · Belfry Avenue · Bellevue terrace · Breakspear Road North · Breakspear Road North · Broadwater Gardens · Broadwater Lane · Burbery Close · Canal Way · Chapel Row · Childs Avenue · Church Hill · Church Road · Coppermill Lane · Coppermill Lock · Countess Close · Dairy Farm Lane · Dellside · Denham Court Nursery · Dewes Lane · Dexter Road · Dovedale Close · Dunster Close · Fallowfield Close · Gilbert Road · Gore Close · Hall Drive · Harefield · Harvil Farm · Harvil Road · Harvill Road · Harvill Road · Heart Science Centre · HERON PLACE · High Street · Hill End Road · Hillingdon Trail · Hillside · Hinkley Close · Jackets Lane · Jacks Lane · Jacks Lane · Knightscote Close · Lewis Close · Leys Close · Linden Square · Lovett Road · Merle Avenue · Milne Way · Moorhall Road · Morse Close · Mossendew Close · Mount Pleasant · New Park Road · New Years Green Lane · Newdigate Green · Newdigate Road East · Newdigate Road · Newyears Green Lane · Northwood Road · Northwood Way · Old Shire Lane · Orchard Close · Park Lane · Park Lodge Farm · Park Place · Peerless Drive · Penzance Close · Plough Lane · Pond Close · Priory Avenue · Priory Cottages · Rickmansworth Road · Royal Quay Coppermill Lock · Salamander Quay West · Salamander Quay · Sanctuary Close · Sanderson Road · Savoy Close · School Parade · Shelley Lane · Shrubs Road · Shrubs Road · Smallholding · Springwell Lane · Springwell Lane · Springwood Close · St Annes Road · St Anne’s Road · St Marys Close · St Marys Road · ST MARY’S CLOSE · Sullivan Crescent · Summerhouse Business Park · Summerhouse Lane · Summerhouse lane · The Furrows · The Long Room Coppermill Lock · The Manor House Royal Quay Coppermill Lock · The Poplars · The Shrubs · Truesdale Drive · Vernon Drive · WATERSIDE MEWS · WATERSIDE MEWS · Wickham Close
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Harefield · UB9 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Springwood Close is a road in the UB9 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Harefield is the only sizeable village in what was Middlesex that remains separate from the London sprawl.

Harefield enters recorded history through the Domesday Book (1086) as Herefelle, comprising the Anglo-Saxon words Here '[danish] army' and felle 'field'.

Before the Norman conquest of England Harefield belonged to Countess Goda, the sister of Edward the Confessor. Her husbands were French, Dreux of the Vexin and Count Eustace of Boulogne.

Following the Norman conquest, ownership of Harefield passed to Richard FitzGilbert, the son of Count Gilbert of Brionne. It was listed in the Domesday Book as comprising enough arable land for five ploughs, with meadow land only sufficient for one plough. Woodland areas in Middlesex were registered in the number of pigs which could be supported there; Harefield had 1200, the second highest in the Hundred of Elthorne (to Ruislip, with 1500). Ten villeins (tenants) are also counted; they held their land freely from the lord in exchange for rent payments and labour. By the 12th or 13th century their land is believed to have passed back to the lord and become unfree. There were also seven bordars (poorer tenants) with five acres each, while one had three. In addition, three cottars, who owned a cottage and garden, also feature.

Harefield was eventually split into the main manor of Harefield, and the two smaller submanors of Brackenbury and Moorhall. It had been owned by the Clares, descended from Richard FitzGerald, before passing to the Batchworths by 1235. In turn, the Swanlord family took possession in 1315. By 1446, the Newdigate family owned Harefield - they still owned some land in the 1920s. John Newdigate exchanged most of his land in 1585 with the Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, Sir Edmund Anderson.

Harefield saw a steady increase in population from 951 inhabitants in 1801 to 1516 in 1841. 160 years later, the population of Harefield was recorded as 7399 in the 2011 Census.

The Grand Junction Canal had opened in 1797 and industry came to Harefield and Uxbridge as a result; the copper mills opened in 1802.

The Napoleonic Wars were followed after 1815 by an economic depression, which held back industrial growth for a time. The coming of peace also probably reduced the demand for copper from the works. In 1851 the copper mills employed only 86 people. By 1871 the mills had turned over to paper making and employed about 40 people. In the 1830s much of west Middlesex changed to hay farming, which was less labour intensive than arable.

During World War I, Harefield Park was used as an Australian military hospital. The bodies of the servicemen who died there were buried with full military honours within the graveyard of St. Mary's Church; this area, which also included the ground where the Harefield Place building stood, became a military cemetery.

The village fête is held annually in July.
Print-friendly version of this page


Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.