The Boltons

Article, West Brompton

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Article · West Brompton · SW10 · Contributed by Scott Hatton
MARCH
21
2017



In 1807, William Boulton sold the land between the Old Brompton Road and the Fulham Road to the confec­tioner James Gunter, who as a result of this and other acquis­itions became the dominant landowner in this part of Kensington, which then consisted mostly of market gardens and nurseries.

In 1819 and his son Robert Gunter inherited the estate and began to lease parcels of land for house­building. After Robert Gunter’s death in 1852 his sons Robert and James continued the process.

By the end of the 1840s several minor mansions stood along the local section of the Old Brompton Road (but set so far back from that road that sizeable houses could later be built in their front gardens), including the extant Osborn House, and to its east Bladen (or Bladon) Lodge and the neo-​​Greek Sidmouth Lodge – which was named, it is thought, after its first occupant’s home town.

South of those lodges George Godwin junior, architect and editor of The Builder magazine, laid out the vesica piscis (pointed oval) of the Boltons in 1849 and soon afterwards built the central church of St Mary, West Brompton (now St Mary, The Boltons) and then the houses on the east side.

The unusually aisleless, cruciform St Mary’s was consecrated on 22 October 1850 and its spire was added in 1854. The interior was rearranged in 1872 and again in 1952. A two-​​storey church hall was attached in 1965–6. The gardens north and south of the church are only accessible to residents of the Boltons. However, the Boltons Gardens Enclosure, which immediately surrounds the church, is open to everyone.

Godwin built the houses on the west side in 1857–60, after which devel­opment rapidly spread westward, beginning with the Little Boltons and ultimately extending to the edge of Brompton cemetery.

The Boltons’ stuccoed Italianate mansions verge on the palatial, are rich in ornamental detail and are all now grade II listed. It has been suggested that the difficult economic circum­stances of the time prompted the decision to build such luxurious residences, because the very wealthy were less likely to have been adversely affected by the downturn.

Sidmouth Lodge was demolished in 1937 to make way for the Frobisher (later Earls Court) telephone exchange. This has since been replaced by three 21st-​​century houses on Boltons Place (which was originally the northern section of Gilston Road). These were designed in a style that harmonises impressively with the neigh­bouring properties and one has since been sold for over £50m.

The highly regarded Bousfield primary school opened in 1956. It was built mainly on the site of Bladen Lodge, which had been bombed in the war. The school’s grade II listed buildings were designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon – the partnership best known for its work on the Barbican.

Some of the locality’s houses were converted to flats while others were adapted for commercial or insti­tu­tional use. For much of the 20th century, numbers 20 and 21 The Boltons served as Our Lady’s convent, which was run by the Franciscan missionaries of Mary, together with a girls’ hostel next door. However, many properties have retained, or been returned to, their original purpose – that of single family houses – more than have buildings of similar size in most other parts of London.

Past residents of the Boltons include the lyricist WS Gilbert, the ‘Swedish Nightingale’ Jenny Lind and the film star Douglas Fairbanks Jr, who once had the Queen and Prince Philip over for dinner. The children’s writer Beatrix Potter lived with her parents at 2 Bolton Gardens from her birth until her marriage in 1913, when she moved to the Lake District.

Source: Hidden London

VIEW THE WEST BROMPTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST BROMPTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST BROMPTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST BROMPTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST BROMPTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.
OTHER OWEN CLOSE, UB4 ENTRIES

The Boltons
(1849-now)

Owen Close, UB4
(start year not known-now)

Go to Owen Close, UB4

Owen Close, UB4

Owen Close is a road in the UB4 postcode area




LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Brompton:   Brompton is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Gloucester Road:   Gloucester Road: Where Rumpole of the Bailey hung his hat.
West Brompton:   West Brompton is a Network Rail West London Line and London Overground and Underground (District Line) station in west London.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Ashburn Gardens, SW7 · Ashburn Place, SW7 · Astwood Mews, SW7 · Barkston Gardens, SW5 · Billing Road, SW10 · Billing Street, SW10 · Bina Gardens, SW5 · Bolton Gardens, SW5 · Bramham Gardens, SW5 · Brechin Place, SW7 · Cavaye Place, SW10 · Clareville Grove, SW7 · Clareville Street, SW7 · Coleherne Road, SW10 · Collingham Gardens, SW5 · Collingham Place, SW5 · Collingham Road, SW5 · Courtfield Gardens, SW5 · Courtfield Road, SW7 · Cranley Mews, SW7 · Cresswell Place, SW10 · Cromwell Road, SW5 · Drayton Gardens, SW10 · Elm Park Gardens, SW10 · Esher House, SW10 · Fawcett Street, SW10 · Finborough Road, SW10 · Fulham Road, SW10 · Gertrude Street, SW10 · Gilston Road, SW10 · Gloucester Road, SW7 · Harley Gardens, SW10 · Harrington Gardens, SW7 · Hesper Mews, SW5 · Hollywood Road, SW10 · Ifield Road, SW10 · Knaresborough Place, SW5 · London House, SW10 · Munro Terrace, SW10 · Nightingale Place, SW10 · Old Brompton Road, SW5 · Owen Close, UB4 · Pennant Mews, W8 · Redcliffe Gardens, SW10 · Redcliffe Place, SW10 · Redcliffe Square, SW10 · Redcliffe Street, SW10 · Redfield Lane, SW5 · Roland Gardens, SW7 · Roland Way, SW7 · Rosary Gardens, SW7 · South Bolton Gardens, SW5 · St Lukes Church Hall, SW10 · Stanhope Gardens, SW7 · Stanhope Mews West, SW7 · The Boltons, SW10 · Tregunter Road, SW10 · Wetherby Gardens, SW5 · Wetherby Place, SW7 · Whistler Walk, SW10 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Gloucester Road
Facebook Page
South Kensington
Facebook Page
Earl’s Court
Facebook Page
West Brompton
Facebook Page
Fulham Broadway
Facebook Page
High Street Kensington
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.