Showing every road so far featured
(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).
Print-friendly version of this page Spitalfields is near to Liverpool Street station and Brick Lane.
Lolesworth Close is a short cul-de-sac on the east side of Commercial Street
which was originally the western extremity of Flower and Dean Street
It acquired its present form after the opening of the Clement Attlee adventure playground in 1980 and the construction of the Flower and Dean Estate in 1982-4.Licence:
It was named Lolesworth Close c.1983
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
The area straddles Commercial Street
and is home to several markets, including the historic Old Spitalfields Market
, and various Brick Lane
Markets on Brick Lane
and Cheshire Street
. Petticoat Lane Market lies on the area's south-western boundaries.
The name Spitalfields appears in the form Spittellond
in 1399; as The spitel Fyeld on the 16th-century Civitas Londinium map associated with Ralph Agas. The land belonged to St Mary Spital, a priory or hospital erected on the east side of the Bishopsgate
thoroughfare in 1197, and the name is thought to derive from this. An alternative, and possibly earlier, name for the area was Lolsworth
After the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, Spitalfields was inhabited by prosperous French Huguenot silk weavers. In the early 19th century their descendants were reduced to a deplorable condition due to the competition of the Manchester textile factories and the area began to deteriorate into crime-infested slums. The spacious and handsome Huguenot houses were divided up into tiny dwellings which were rented by poor families of labourers, who sought employment in the nearby docks.
The area has recently attracted a IT-literate younger population.