Print-friendly version of this page
Kingston Hill is a road in the KT2 postcode area
style='float:left; width=250px; margin-right:10px;'>Coombe is a historic neighbourhood in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.
Coombe appears in Domesday Book as ’Cumbe’ and centres on what was the now-demolihed Coombe House which dated from the 1750s.
In 1215 King John gave the est
ate of Coombe to Hugh de Nevill, and the area became known as Coombe Nevill by 1260. The est
ate was located at the intersection of the current George Road
and Warren Road
. The present-day cul-de-sac known as Coombe Neville
is in the same location.
In the early 1700s a public house known as the Fox and Coney was est
ablished at the intersection of George Road
on Hill. It was rebuilt in 1728 and renamed the George and Dragon. It 1985 it became the Kingst
on Lodge Hotel.
By 1761 Coombe was owned by John Spencer, 1st
At the time of the 1865 Ordnance Survey, the area west
of Warren Road
By 1911 two golf courses were here: Coombe Wood and Coombe Hill.
Coombe is now a prest
igious residential location.