Kinsbury JFS access, HA3

Road built between the wars

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.80.177.176 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Preston Road · HA3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
MAY
23
2017


Kinsbury JFS access is a road in the HA3 postcode area



ADD A STORY TO KINSBURY JFS ACCESS
VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE PRESTON ROAD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Preston Road

Preston Road - originally just ’Preston’ - is situated west along the Metropolitan Line from Wembley Park.

Preston, meaning ’the farm belonging to the priest’, began as a small settlement at Preston Green, just south west of the Lidding or Wealdstone Brook, south of Kenton. It was first mentioned in 1220. The name may come from an estate given to Abbot Stidberht by King Offa of Mercia in 767, but any connection with Preston Road as a rural lanethe Church had been lost by 1086. Preston was a township by 1231.

By the mid-15th century Preston consisted of two farms and a few cottages. The northern farm belonged to the Lyon family from the late 14th century and is described as being a beautiful building in 1547. It was probably the birthplace of John Lyon (1534-92), a considerable local landowner who founded Harrow School in 1572. After his death the farm was given as an endowment for the upkeep of the school. It was rebuilt around 1700. The southern farm was originally known as Preston Dicket and later as Preston Farm.

By 1681 five buildings had been built on Preston Green, including a new farmhouse, Hillside Farm. In 1759 there were nine buildings at Preston, including the ’Horseshoe’ inn,
which was licensed in 1751.

The district did not change significantly in the 19th century. The agricultural depression after the Napoleonic Wars led to an outbreak of violence in the area around 1828, when desperate agricultural labourers burnt haystacks and threatened local landowners, including the relatively benevolent Lord Northwick.

64 people lived in Preston in 1831 and 57 in 1851.

In 1851 the ’Rose & Crown’ beerhouse is mentioned at the top of Preston Hill (beerhouses flourished from 1830 to 1869 and were intended to discourage the sale of spirits). It appears to have been part of Hillside Farm, and is never mentioned again.

Preston House was leased to various professional men during the 19th century, including a surgeon, a cigar importer and a solicitor.

In 1864 two villas replaced the four nearby cottages. Around 1880 Preston House was acquired by George Timms, who turned the grounds into Preston Tea Gardens. The Tea Gardens flourished well into the next century.

The Metropolitan Railway had no effect on development, even after the opening of Wembley Park station in 1894. In 1896 the suggestion that a station should be built serving Preston was rejected because the local population was so small. Indeed even in the early 20th century the area was entirely rural, and the Wealdstone Brook could be described as "one of the most perfect little streams anywhere, abounding in dace and roach."

By 1900 Uxendon Farm had become a shooting ground (the Lancaster Shooting Club). When the Olympic Games were held in London in 1908 the ground was sufficiently important to be
used for Olympic clay pigeon shooting. Pressure from the shooting club, which was a two mile walk from the nearest station, played a part in the opening of Preston Road Halt on 21 May 1908.

The station was a halt (a request stop) and initially many trains failed to slow down enough to enable the driver to notice passengers waiting on the platform. Preston Road Halt triggered the first commuter development in the district. Some large Edwardian houses were built along Preston Road after 1910 and Harrow Golf Club opened near the station in 1912. Wembley Golf Club had already existed on the southern slopes of Barn Hill from about 1895. Both these golf courses would disappear under housing between the wars.

Further development in Preston came after the 1924-5 British Empire Exhibition. Roads in the area were prone to flooding, and the Exhibition led to significant and much needed improvements.

Many of the country lanes in the area were however not improved until 1931-2, under Wembley’s Town Planning Scheme. Preston Road indeed remained a country lane until the late 1930s, which may account for its considerable charm.Improved communications brought suburban development. Christ Church College, Oxford, and Harrow School sold their Preston
estates in the period 1921-33. Forty Green began being built over as early as 1923-4 and housing spread along Preston Road and Preston Hill in the three years that followed.

Shops appeared in 1927-8 and a pub, the ’Preston Park Hotel’ was opened in the late 1920s.

Preston Road was converted into a proper station in 1931-2. The line was electrified soon after and the station slightly re-sited. By now it was certain that the heart of Preston would be to the south of the old green. Many more shops appeared around the station in 1931-3 and 1936-8. Most housing developments occurred in the 1930s. By 1936 Preston was being described as "a high class and rapidly growing residential area with a population of between 6000 and 7000 people." A primary school was created to serve this population in 1932 and a secondary school in 1938.

In the 1930s many Jewish people, the majority members of the United Synagogue, moved into the Preston area. There is still a strong Jewish presence today.

By 1951 Preston’s population had risen to 12,408, although it declined somewhat thereafter. Post-war housing was built north and east of Preston Road and a number of prefabs, a temporary solution to homelessness, stood at Tenterden Close, Woodcock Hill, until the late 1960s. Proposals for an Anglican church at Preston had been published in 1936, but the war intervened and the Church of the Ascension was not consecrated until 1957.

By the early 1960s all of Preston’s old buildings had been lost. Lyon’s Farm was demolished in 1960, despite earlier plans to preserve it. Hillside farmhouse went in 1961 and Preston House was demolished in 1962-3. Both of these buildings were replaced by blocks of flats. Despite these losses Preston is a pleasant and prosperous-looking place that has retained its original atmosphere.



LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Ashley College:   Pupil referral unit which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 16.
Barham Park:   
Brent Town Hall:   Brent Town Hall (formerly Wembley Town Hall) is a landmark in Brent, a borough in northwest London, England. Pevsner described it as the best of the modern town halls around London, neither fanciful nor drab.
Byron Court Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Chalkhill Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Fryent Country Park:   
Kenmore Park Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Kenmore Park Infant and Nursery School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 7.
Kingsbury:   Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.
Kingsbury High School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Lycee International De Londres:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 18.
Preston Manor School:   Academy converter (All through) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 19. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Preston Park:   
Preston Park Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Preston Road:   Preston Road - originally just ’Preston’ - is situated west along the Metropolitan Line from Wembley Park.
Queensbury Park:   
Sinai Jewish Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Bernadette’s Catholic Primary School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Christopher’s School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11.
The Noam Primary School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Uxendon Shooting Grounds:   Uxendon Shooting Grounds was the location of the clay pigeon shooting for the 1908 Olympics.
Vale Farm:   Vale Farm was probably a mixed farm, growing crops and raising livestock for meat, run by a succession of tenant farmers..
Vale Farm Sports Ground:   
Wembley High Technology College:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
A406, HA9 · A479, HA9 · Abbotts Drive, HA0 · Alpha House, NW9 · Alverstone Road, HA9 · Ambleside Gardens, HA9 · Arnold Close, HA3 · Arnside Gardens, HA9 · Ash Walk, HA0 · Ashley Gardens, HA9 · Audrey Gardens, HA0 · Aylands Close, HA9 · Balmoral Court, HA9 · Barn Hill, HA9 · Barn Rise, HA9 · Barn Way, HA9 · Barnhill Cottages, HA9 · Barnhill Road, HA9 · Basing Hill, HA9 · Beaumont Avenue, HA0 · Beaumont Court, HA0 · Beechcroft Gardens, HA9 · Berkeley Road, NW9 · Beverley Gardens, HA9 · Blackbird Hill, HA9 · Blockley Road, HA0 · Bowling Green Court, HA9 · Bowman Trading Estate, NW9 · Bramley Lodge, HA0 · Brampton Grove, HA9 · Brampton Road, NW9 · Brancker Road, HA3 · Branksome Way, HA3 · Brindley Close, HA0 · Brook Avenue, HA9 · Byron Road, HA0 · Camden Crescent, HA0 · Camplin Road, HA3 · Carlton Avenue East, HA9 · Carlton Avenue West, HA0 · Carlton Parade, HA9 · Chamberlayne Avenue, HA9 · Chantry Close, HA3 · Charlton Road, HA9 · Charterhouse Avenue, HA0 · Cheltenham Place, HA3 · Chilcott Close, HA0 · Clay Court, HA3 · Clifton Road, HA3 · Cody Close, HA3 · College Road, HA9 · Compton Avenue, HA0 · Conifer Way, HA0 · Coniston Gardens, HA9 · Conway Gardens, HA9 · Corringham Road, HA9 · Court Parade, HA0 · Cowbridge Road, HA3 · Crown Green Mews, HA9 · Crown Walk, HA9 · Crundale Avenue, NW9 · Dagmar Avenue, HA9 · Darcy Drive, HA3 · Darcy Gardens, HA3 · Dean Court, HA0 · Derwent Gardens, HA9 · Dorchester Way, HA3 · Draycott Avenue, HA9 · Dryburgh Gardens, NW9 · East Court, HA0 · East Hill, HA9 · East Lane, HA0 · Ecclestone Place, HA9 · Edison Drive, HA9 · Elliott Close, HA9 · Elmcroft Gardens, NW9 · Elms Lane, HA0 · Elmside Road, HA9 · Elmstead Avenue, HA9 · Engineers Way, HA9 · Ennerdale Gardens, HA9 · Eskdale Close, HA9 · Eton Avenue, HA0 · Eton Court Eton Avenue, HA0 · Eton Court, HA0 · Eton Grove, NW9 · Farrer Road, HA3 · Fernleigh Court, HA9 · First Avenue, HA9 · Forty Avenue, HA9 · Forty Close, HA9 · Forty Lane, HA9 · Fryent Way, HA9 · Fryent Way, NW9 · Gabrielle Close, HA9 · Girton Avenue, NW9 · Glebe Lane, HA3 · Glenalmond Road, HA3 · Glendale Gardens, HA9 · Grasmere Avenue, HA9 · Greenhill, HA9 · Greenrigg Walk, HA9 · Grosvenor Crescent, NW9 · Hamel Close, HA3 · Hannah Close, HA9 · Harrow Road, HA9 · Harrowdene Road, HA9 · Hasting Close, HA0 · High Road, HA9 · Highfield Avenue, HA9 · Hill Road, HA0 · Hillcroft Crescent, HA9 · Hillside Avenue, HA9 · Hillside Gardens, HA3 · Hinkler Road, HA3 · Hollycroft Avenue, HA9 · Holt Road, HA0 · Honeypot Close, NW9 · Honeypot Lane, NW9 · Hunters Grove, HA3 · Imperial Way, HA3 · John Lyon Roundabout, HA0 · Ken Way, HA9 · Kenmore Road, HA3 · Kinch Grove, HA9 · Kings Court, HA9 · Kings Drive, HA9 · Kingsbury Arcade, NW9 · Kingsbury Circle, NW9 · Kingsbury, NW9 · Kingswood Road, HA9 · Kinsbury JFS access, HA3 · Langham Gardens, HA0 · Ledway Drive, HA3 · Ledway Drive, HA9 · Leybourne Road, NW9 · Liddell Close, HA3 · Linden Avenue, HA9 · Lindsay Drive, HA3 · Lodge Avenue, HA3 · Logan Road, HA9 · Longfield Avenue, HA9 · Loretto Gardens, HA3 · Lovett Way, HA9 · Loweswater Close, HA9 · Lulworth Avenue, HA9 · Magnet Road East Lane Business Park, HA9 · Malvern Gardens, HA3 · Manor Close, NW9 · Manor Drive, HA9 · Marloes Close, HA0 · Mayfields Close, HA9 · Mayfields, HA9 · Mersham Drive, NW9 · Midholm, HA9 · Montpelier Rise, HA9 · Morland Road, HA3 · Mostyn Avenue, HA9 · Nathans Road, HA0 · Nathans Road, HA9 · Neeld Court, HA9 · Newnham Way, HA3 · North Circular Road, HA9 · Northwick Avenue, HA9 · Norval Road, HA0 · Oakington Avenue, HA9 · Old High Street, HA9 · Oldborough Road, HA0 · Orchard Grove, HA3 · Ormesby Way, HA3 · Page Close, HA3 · Park Chase, HA9 · Park Place, HA9 · Pasture Close, HA0 · Pasture Road, HA0 · Pasture Road, HA1 · Paulhan Road, HA3 · Paxford Road, HA0 · Peel Road, HA9 · Peel Road, HA9 · Pellatt Road, HA9 · Pempath Place, HA9 · Pendolino Way, HA9 · Perrin Road, HA0 · Pettsgrove Avenue, HA0 · Preston Hill, HA3 · Preston Road, HA9 · Princes Avenue, NW9 · Priory Park Road, HA0 · PROW 10, HA3 · Public Right of Way 42, HA9 · Public Right of Way 48, HA0 · Queensbury Circle Parade, HA7 · Queensbury Station Parade, HA8 · Queensbury Station Parade, NW9 · Radley Gardens, HA3 · Raglan Court, HA9 · Rainborough Close, HA9 · Repton Avenue, HA0 · Rose Bates Drive, NW9 · Roskild Court, HA9 · Rowland Avenue, HA3 · Rowlands Avenue, HA3 · Rugby Avenue, HA0 · Rugby Road, NW9 · Ruskin Gardens, HA3 · Ruskin Gardens, NW9 · Rustic Place, HA0 · Ruth Close, HA7 · Rydal Gardens, HA9 · Saltcroft Close, HA9 · Sandy Lane, HA3 · Second Avenue, HA9 · Shakespeare Drive, HA3 · Shelley Gardens, HA0 · Sherborne Gardens, NW9 · Sherry Close, HA0 · Shooters Avenue, HA3 · Shrewsbury Avenue, HA3 · South East Lane, HA0 · Spencer Road, HA0 · St Georges Hall, HA1 · St Pauls Avenue, HA3 · St. Paul’s Avenue, HA3 · St. Paul’s Avenue, HA7 · Stapenhill Road, HA0 · Station Grove, HA9 · Stilecroft Gardens, HA0 · Stracthcona Road, HA9 · Strathcona Road, HA9 · Sudbury Avenue, HA0 · Sutherland Court, NW9 · Sylvester Road, HA0 · Talisman Way, HA9 · The Avenue, HA9 · The Broadway, HA9 · The Close, HA9 · The Crescent, HA0 · The Croft, HA0 · The Crossways, HA9 · The Ducker Footpath, HA0 · The Fairway, HA0 · The Fairway, HA9 · The Gables, HA9 · The Leys, HA3 · The Link, HA9 · Third Avenue, HA9 · Thirlmere Gardens, HA9 · Toley Avenue, HA9 · Tonbridge Crescent, HA3 · Tregenna Court, HA0 · Tylers Gate, HA3 · Uxendon Crescent, HA9 · Uxendon Cresent, HA9 · Uxendon Hill, HA9 · Valley Drive, NW9 · Vane Close, HA3 · Waghorn Road, HA3 · Wakeling Lane, HA0 · Waltham Avenue, NW9 · Walton Gardens, HA9 · Warneford Road, HA3 · Watford Road, HA0 · Wembley Commercial Centre, HA9 · Wembley Hill Road, HA9 · Wembley Park Drive, HA9 · Wembley Retail Park, HA9 · Wentworth Hill, HA9 · West Close, HA9 · West Court, HA0 · West Hill, HA9 · Westfield Drive, HA3 · Westfield Gardens, HA3 · Westfield Lane, HA3 · Westmoreland Road, NW9 · Wickliffe Gardens, HA9 · Wilson Close, HA9 · Wimborne Drive, NW9 · Winchester Avenue, NW9 · Winckley Close, HA3 · Windermere Avenue, HA9 · Windermere Court, HA9 · Winthrop Walk, HA9 · Woodfield Avenue, HA0 · Woodford Place, HA9 · Wykeham Hill, HA9 · Wyndale Avenue, NW9 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.