Cricklewood

Rail station, existing between 1868 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.235.66.217 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Rail station · Cricklewood · NW2 ·
November
27
2012

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.


There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF CRICKLEWOOD
Ash Grove, NW2 Ash Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Asmara Road, NW2 Asmara Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Blenheim Gardens, NW2 Blenheim Gardens is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Broadway Retail Park, NW2 Broadway Retail Park is a street in Cricklewood.
Burlington Parade Edgware Road, NW2 Burlington Parade Edgware Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Burlington Parade, NW2 Burlington Parade is a street in Cricklewood.
Cavendish Place, NW2 Cavendish Place is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Cavendish Place, W1 Cavendish Place is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Chandos Road, NW2 Chandos Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Chanin Mews, NW2 Chanin Mews is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Chatsworth Road, NW2 Chatsworth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Chatsworth Road, NW6 Chatsworth Road is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Coverdale Road, NW2 Coverdale Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Cranhurst Road, NW2 Cranhurst Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Cricklewood, NW2 Cricklewood is a street in Cricklewood.
Dairyman Close, NW2 Dairyman Close is a street in Cricklewood.
Dartmouth Road, NW2 Dartmouth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Depot Approach, NW2 Depot Approach is a street in Cricklewood.
Ebbsfleet Road, NW2 Ebbsfleet Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Elm Grove, NW2 Elm Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Fordwych Road, NW2 Fordwych Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Gardiner Avenue, NW2 Gardiner Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Gay Close, NW2 Gay Close is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Gratton Terrace, NW2 Gratton Terrace is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Hassop Road, NW2 Hassop Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Henson Avenue, NW2 Henson Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
James Avenue, NW2 James Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Jeymer Avenue, NW2 Jeymer Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Kara Way, NW2 Kara Way is a street in Cricklewood.
Kenneth Crescent, NW2 Kenneth Crescent is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Kenneth Cresent, NW2 Kenneth Cresent is a street in Cricklewood.
Keyes Road, NW2 Keyes Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Manstone Road, NW2 Manstone Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Melrose Avenue, NW2 Melrose Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Menelik Road, NW2 Menelik Road runs from Westbere Road to Minster Road.
Meredith Avenue, NW2 Meredith Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Mill Lane, NW2 West of the bridge over the railway, Mill Lane enters the NW2 postcode.
Minster Road, NW2 Minster Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Oak Grove, NW2 Oak Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Queens Parade, NW2 Queens Parade is a street in Cricklewood.
Richborough Road, NW2 Richborough Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Riffel Road, NW2 Riffel Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Rondu Road, NW2 Rondu Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Rutland Park, NW2 Rutland Park is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Sarre Road, NW2 Sarre Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Sheldon Road, NW2 Sheldon Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Skardu Road, NW2 Skardu Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Somali Road, NW2 Somali Road is a street in Cricklewood.
St. Gabriel’s Road, NW2 St. Gabriel’s Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Stanley Gardens, NW2 Stanley Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.
Sylvan Grove, NW2 Sylvan Grove is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Teignmouth Road, NW2 Teignmouth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Tracey Avenue, NW2 Tracey Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Walm Lane, NW2 Walm Lane is a street in Cricklewood.
Westbere Road, NW2 Westbere Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Windmill Court, NW2 Windmill Court is a street in Cricklewood.
Yew Grove, NW2 Yew Grove is a road in the NW2 postcode area



 

Cricklewood

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.
Print-friendly version of this page