Oval Road, Croydon, Surrey

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.85.143.239 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abbey Road · Aberdeen Road · Academy Gardens · Adams Way · Addiscombe Avenue · Addiscombe Court Road · Addiscombe Grove · Addiscombe Grove · Addiscombe Railway Park · Addiscombe Road (1907) · Addiscombe Road · Addiscombe Road · Alderton Road · Alderton Road · Alexandra Road · Alma Kitchen · Altyre Road · Altyre Road · Altyre Way · Amberley Grove · Anselm Close · Ashburton Close · Ashburton Gardens · Ashburton Park · Ashburton Road · Bar Sport · Barclay Road · Barclay Road · Beckford Road · Bedford Park · Bedford Park · Bedford Place · Beech Grove · Beech House Road · Beech House Road · Berney Road · Billinton Hill · Billinton Hill · Bisenden Road · Blackhorse Lane · Blake Road · Booth Road · Bourne Street · Bracewood Gardens · Brafferton Road · Brampton Road · Bredon Road · Brickwood Road · Bridge Place · Builders Arms · Camborne Road · Canal Walk · Canning Road · Capri Road · Cedar Road · Charles Street · Chatsworth Road · Chepstow Rise · Chepstow Road · Cherry Orchard Road · Cherry Orchard Road · Chisholm Road · Christie Drive · Christie Drive · Church Road · Church Road · Clyde Road · College Road · College Road · Colson Road · Coniston Road · Coombe Park · Cranmer Road · Cromwell Road · Cross Road · Crown Hill · Croydon District Masonic Hall · Dalmally Road · Dalmally Road · Dalmally Road · Danecourt Gardens · Dartnell Road · Davidson Road · Davies Close · Dean Road · Delmey Close · Dering Place · Dering Place · Dering Road · Dering Road · Dingwall Avenue · Dingwall Avenue · Dingwall Road · Dingwall Road · Dog And Bull · Dominion Road · Drum And Monkey · Duke Of Gloucester · Duppas Hill Terrace · East Croydon · East India Way · East India Way · Eden Road · Eden Way · Edward Road · Elgin Road · Everton Road · Exchange Square · Exeter Road · Fairfield Path · Fairfield Road · Fairfield Road · Farquharson Road · Fawcett Road · Fell Road · Fellmonger’s Yard · Fleetwood Close · Footpath in Trunpike Link block · Freemason’s Road · Freemasons Place · Friends’ Road · Friends’ Road · Fullerton Road · George Street · George Street · Gipsy Tavern · Gladstone Road · Gloucester Road · Goose On The Market · Gordon Crescent · Gowlland Close · Grant Place · Grant Road · Grant Road · Granville Close · Grenaby Avenue · Grenaby Road · Grindley Gardens · Gunnell Close · Harding Close · Harland Avenue · Hastings Road · Hastings Road · Havelock Road · Hazeldean Road · Hazeldean Road · Heathfield Road · Hermitage Lane · High Street · High Street · Highbarrow Road · HighStreet · Hogarth Crescent · Howley Road · Hurst Road · Inglis Road · Jesmond Road · John’s Terrace · Katharine Street · Keeley Road · Keen’s Road · Kemerton Road · Kidderminster Road · Lambert’s Place · Lansdowne Road · Lansdowne Road · Laud Street · Laurier Road · Leafy Grove · Leafy Way · Lebanon Road · Lebanon Road · Ledbury Road · Leicester Road · Leslie Grove · Leslie Grove · Leslie Park Road · Lewen Close · Leyburn Gardens · Lindfield Road · Lloyd Park · Lower Addiscombe Road · Lower Addiscombe Road · Lower Coombe Street · Lysander Road · Mann Close · Maresfield · Meadow Stile · Meadvale Road · Middle Street · Milton Avenue · Milton Road · Mint Walk · Mint Walk · Morland Avenue · Morland Road · Morland Road · Mulberry Lane · Mulgrave Road · Neville Road · Newgate · Nicholson Road · North End Mall · North End · North End · Northway Road · Oakfield Road · Old Town · Outram Road · Oval Road · Oval Road · Pageant Walk · Pagehurst Road · Park Hill Rise · Park Lane · Park Lane · Park Road · Park Street · Parker Road · Paul Gardens · Pickering Gardens · Pitlake · Poplar Walk · Porter And Sorter · Priddy’s Yard · Pylon Way · Queen Street · Queensway · Radcliffe Road · Rees Gardens · Rendle Close · Robert Street · Rochester Gardens · Roman Way · Rymer Road · Salem Place · Sandilands · Savile Gardens · Scarbrook Road · Sheldon Street · Shooshh · Sissinghurst Road · Slug And Lettuce · Smith’s Yard · South End · Southbridge Road · St George’s Walk · St James’s Park · St James’s Road · St James’s Road · St. Arvans Close · St. James Road · St. Michael’s Road · St. Peter’s Road · Station Road · Storrington Road · Strathmore Road · Stretton Road · Sundridge Road · Surrey Street · Sydenham Road · Sydenham Road · Tanfield Road · Tavistock Grove · Tavistock Road · Tavistock Road · Teevan Close · Teevan Road · Temple Road · Tenterden Road · Thanet Place · The Avenue · The Bedford Tavern · The Cricketers · The Croydon Flyover · The Croydon Flyover · The George · The Glamorgan · The Odd Shoe · The Orchard P H · The Oval Tavern · The Queen’s Gardens · The Ship · The Spread Eagle · The Wend · The Windmill · Thornhill Road · Tidenham Gardens · Tiger Tiger · Tiverton Close · Towpath Way · Tunstall Road · Tunstall Road · Turnpike Link · Vincent Road · Walpole Road · Wandle Road · Warren Road · Water Tower Hill · Wellesley Grove · Wellesley Passage · Wellesley Passage · Wellesley Road · Wellesley Road · West Croydon · West Street · Whitgift Centre · Wickham Road · Willis Road · Windermere Road · Woburn Road · Woodbury Close · Woodside Court Road · Wydenhurst Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · East Croydon · CR0 ·
August
12
2017

Oval Road is a road in the CR9 postcode area



VIEW THE EAST CROYDON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE EAST CROYDON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE EAST CROYDON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE EAST CROYDON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE EAST CROYDON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

East Croydon

East Croydon is a railway station and tram stop, and the largest and busiest station in Croydon.

On 12 July 1841 the London & Brighton Railway (L&BR) began passenger services through Croydon station (now East Croydon) on the Brighton Line from London Bridge to Haywards Heath. The station was designed by the architect David Mocatta, the second station in the town since the London and Croydon Railway (L&CR) had opened its Croydon station (now West Croydon) in June 1839.

After 1842 the station was jointly administered by the L&BR and the South Eastern Railway (SER), which shared the Brighton main line as far as Redhill. Fares from Croydon to London were common to two railways. In 1846 The L&BR and the L&CR amalgamated to form the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR), and the two stations were renamed East Croydon and West Croydon to avoid confusion.

With the completion of the line to Victoria between 1860 and 1862, extra platforms were needed to provide a terminal for LB&SCR suburban services to and from the West End of London whilst London Bridge trains continued to use the existing lines. The new platforms adjoined East Croydon but were treated by the LB&SCR as a separate station named New Croydon, with its own ticket office, and which ran exclusively LBSCR services. This device enabled the railway to avoid breaking an agreement with the SER, whilst offering cheaper fares than the SER from the original station.

The terminal platforms at New Croydon proved difficult to operate as there was limited space for locomotives to run round their trains. As a result, in 1863 the LB&SCR obtained Parliamentary authority to build a one-mile (1.6 km) extension to a new terminus at South Croydon, which provided the additional operating room.

In 1864, the LB&SCR obtained authorisation to construct a halfmile long branch line into the town centre near Katharine Street, where Central Croydon station was built. The line opened in 1868 but enjoyed little success and closed in 1871, only to reopen in 1886 under pressure from the Council before finally closing in 1890. It was demolished and replaced by Croydon Town Hall.

By the late 1880s the station was again congested due to the growth of traffic on the main lines, the expansion of the suburban network in South London and the new line from Croydon to Oxted. As a result the station was rebuilt and the tracks remodelled during 1894/5. At the same time the suburban lines were extended from South Croydon to Coulsdon, where they joined the new Quarry line. In 1897–98, East Croydon and New Croydon were merged into a single station with the three island platforms that remain. The two stations kept separate booking accounts until 1924.

The present station building opened on 19 August 1992. It consists of a large steel and glass frame suspended from a lightweight steel structure that straddles the track and platforms to a much greater extent than was possible with its Victorian predecessor.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.