Print-friendly version of this page Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
Add your own contribution to Stoke Park.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
|VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.
1879 Royal Agricultural Society Show
|OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Aldershot Manor Park
· Allington Road
· Ark Franklin Primary Academy
· Black Park Country Park
· Bricket Wood Sports and Country Club
· Bulstrode Park
· Bunny Lane
· Canterbury Park
· Capel Manor Environmental Centre for Schools
· Castle Park
· Cherry Tree Park
· Chipperfield Common
· Clandon Park
· Claremont Road
· Clarence Park
· Cock Marsh
· Crown Court Brookman Park
· Deer Park
· Epping Forest Public Open Space
· Esher Common NT
· Eton Dorney
· Grays Beach Riverside Park
· Guards Club Park
· Horton Road
· Ingress Park
· Jarman Park
· Kempe Road
· Lee Valley Regional Park Authority
· Lee Valley White Water Centre
· Lily Hill Park
· Lower Green
· Lower Park
· M25 Junction 30
· Moneyhole Lane Park
· Northfleet Urban Country Park
· Northlands Park
· Odney Club
· Post Office Way
· Preston Recreation Ground
· Queen's Park
· Queen’s Park
· River Gardens
· Shrub End Playing Field
· Silwood Park
· St Albans Centurians Rugby League Club
· St Laurence Close
· St Laurences Close
· Tesco Sports Ground
· The Brocas
· The Home Park
· The Ridge
· The Rough Park
· The Royal Pavillion
· The Rye
· The Whites
· Theobold Park
· Titness Park
· Town Mead
· Upper Park
· Weald Country Park
· West End Sports Ground
· Wombwell Park
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
No links available for this location
None available for this location
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.