Print-friendly version of this page Laleham is a village beside the River Thames, immediately downriver from Staines-upon-Thames in the Spelthorne borough of Surrey. Until 1965 the village was in Middlesex.
A street within the KT16 postcode
The name Laleham" probably derives from lael meaning ’twig’ and ’ham’ meaning homestead.
Iron Age spearheads from the 5th century have been found in the River Thames at Laleham Ferry. The Middlesex section of the Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Leleham. The manor was held partly by Fécamp Abbey from Robert of Mortain and partly by Estrild, a nun. The manor of Laleham was later held by Westminster Abbey. In the 13th century Westminster Abbey had a grange and watermill on the banks of the Thames near the site of Laleham Abbey.
The Church of England parish church of All Saints dates from the 12th century but was largely rebuilt in brick about 1600 and the present tower was built in 1780.
Today, Laleham has a Church of England primary school, an archery club and Burway Rowing Club.
The poet Matthew Arnold (1822–88) lived here, dividing his time between Laleham and Rugby School.