Bonners Hall, E2

Large house in/near South Hackney, existed between 1500 and the 1840s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.168.111.191 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Large house · South Hackney · E2 ·
JANUARY
28
2020

Bonners Hall was named for Bishop Bonner.


John Fuller, a judge died there in 1592 and as did Sir Hugh Platt in 1594. By 1612 the house was tenemented.

In 1642, the site contained five additional houses. In 1655 the mansion house was taken down and the materials were used to build four new houses. Substantial rebuilding may have taken place after 1671. By 1741 three or four wooden houses had joined the main building on the west. The most easterly, next to the lane, was a pub.

After this there was little change before the creation of Victoria Park in the 1840s.


Main source: Bethnal Green: The East, Old Ford Lane, Green Street, and Globe Town | British History Online
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

South Hackney

South Hackney is a district in the London Borough of Hackney situated 4 miles (6.4 km) north east of Charing Cross.

It is immediately north of Victoria Park and the area centred on Victoria Park Road and Lauriston Road. Sometimes called Victoria Park Village, particularly by estate agents, to distinguish the residential area from the rest of Hackney.
Print-friendly version of this page