Stoke Newington Church Street, N16

Road in/near Stoke Newington, existing between 1403 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
35.173.47.43 
Can't see your street on the map? Click here to view a list of local streets
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Stoke Newington · N16 ·
September
9
2019
Stoke Newington Church Street links Green Lanes in the west to Stoke Newington High Street in the east.

Red Lion, Church Street (1890)
Credit: Hackney Library Services
The road was noted as Newington Lane in 1403, then Church Street in 1576 and as Stoke Newington Church Street from 1937.

A number of notable properties flanked it: Newington Hall, Paradise House and Glebe Place amongst others.

Clissold Park is at one end of Church Street. Abney Park Cemetery which dates from 1840 has an entrance on the street. At the junction with Albion Road, was the municipal town hall and assembly hall of the former borough of Stoke Newington (refurbished in 2010). In Abney House, the Newington Academy for Girls of 1824 ran the world’s first school bus from Church Street to Gracechurch Street meeting house in the City, taking the pupils to Quaker worship.

In addition to many public houses and restaurants, the street is home to a wide range of independent shops.


 

Stoke Newington




Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice