Plevna Street, E14

Road in/near Cubitt Town, existing between 1881 and now

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Cubitt Town · E14 ·
Plevna Street forms part of the St John’s Estate.

Building lots on the new streets of Atworth Street, Galbraith Street, Launch Street, Castalia Street and Plevna Street were auctioned in 1881–2 by the British Land Company.

The brochure for the estate claimed that the estate was "within a few minutes ride of the city" - quite an exaggeration!

After Second World War bombing, the St John’s Estate - including a rebuilt Plevna Street - was built by Poplar Borough Council in the the triangle formed by Manchester Road, East Ferry Road and Glengall Grove.

Main source: Survey of London | British History Online
Further citations and sources


Cubitt Town

This section of Poplar was developed as part of the Port of London in 1840s and 1850s by William Cubitt, Lord Mayor of London (1860–1862).

Cubitt Town lies on the eastern side of the Isle of Dogs. William Cubitt was responsible for the early housing which accommodated the growing population of dockworkers and shipbuilders.

Along with the housing, Cubitt also created many local businesses.

Bangladeshi and East Asian immigrant populations became established after the 1950s.

During the 1960s and 1970s, high-rise estates began to be built and during the 1990s and afterwards, the Canary Wharf complex attracted a different mix of people.
Print-friendly version of this page