Redcliffe Square, SW10

Redcliffe Square was built as part of the Gunter estate in the 1860s.

Despite the land being originally in different ownerships, the houses were built to matching designs by the estate architects, George and Henry Godwin between 1869-76. The name Redcliffe was chosen due to the Godwins’s connections with Bristol.

The area was dominated by farmland prior to building development and Redcliffe Gardens used to be one of the old routes through the area, called Walnut Tree Walk, until the estate was laid out.

Robert Gunter initiated most of the development of the estate.

This square was given to the Borough for free in 1949 providing its character was maintained.

The Church of St Luke’s and a private garden (now public) provide the central focus.

return to article