Red Lion Hill, N2
The contemporary Red Lion Hill connects Oak Lane and Central Avenue.

It is a lot shorter than its former length as it used to cover most of what is now King Street.

Minor roads grew up along the edge of what was Finchley Common. Bow Lane, named from its shape, existed at Fallow Corner south of East End by 1814. Farther south there was a settlement at Cuckolds Haven by 1678, linked by causeways before 1814. Red Lion Hill was named by 1821 but most of its course became King Street by 1920.

During work in 1934, ten old cottages in Red Lion Hill were set alight to enable the local fire service to give a demonstration.

return to article