The Shrubs is one of the streets of London in the UB9 postal area.

THE SHRUBS, UB9 LOCATIONS
No addresses have so far been added to The Shrubs, UB9


Harefield

Harefield is the only sizeable village in what was Middlesex that remains separate from the London sprawl.

Harefield enters recorded history through the Domesday Book (1086) as Herefelle, comprising the Anglo-Saxon words Here '[danish] army' and felle 'field'.

Before the Norman conquest of England Harefield belonged to Countess Goda, the sister of Edward the Confessor. Her husbands were French, Dreux of the Vexin and Count Eustace of Boulogne.

Following the Norman conquest, ownership of Harefield passed to Richard FitzGilbert, the son of Count Gilbert of Brionne. It was listed in the Domesday Book as comprising enough arable land for five ploughs, with meadow land only sufficient for one plough. Woodland areas in Middlesex were registered in the number of pigs which could be supported there; Harefield had 1200, the second highest in the Hundred of Elthorne (to Ruislip, with 1500). Ten villeins (tenants) are also counted; they held their land freely from the lord in exchange for rent payments and labour. By the 12th or 13th century their land is believed to have passed back to the lord and become unfree. There were also seven bordars (poorer tenants) with five acres each, while one had three. In addition, three cottars, who owned a cottage and garden, also feature.

Harefield was eventually split into the main manor of Harefield, and the two smaller submanors of Brackenbury and Moorhall. It had been owned by the Clares, descended from Richard FitzGerald, before passing to the Batchworths by 1235. In turn, the Swanlord family took possession in 1315. By 1446, the Newdigate family owned Harefield - they still owned some land in the 1920s. John Newdigate exchanged most of his land in 1585 with the Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, Sir Edmund Anderson.

Harefield saw a steady increase in population from 951 inhabitants in 1801 to 1516 in 1841. 160 years later, the population of Harefield was recorded as 7399 in the 2011 Census.

The Grand Junction Canal had opened in 1797 and industry came to Harefield and Uxbridge as a result; the copper mills opened in 1802.

The Napoleonic Wars were followed after 1815 by an economic depression, which held back industrial growth for a time. The coming of peace also probably reduced the demand for copper from the works. In 1851 the copper mills employed only 86 people. By 1871 the mills had turned over to paper making and employed about 40 people. In the 1830s much of west Middlesex changed to hay farming, which was less labour intensive than arable.

During World War I, Harefield Park was used as an Australian military hospital. The bodies of the servicemen who died there were buried with full military honours within the graveyard of St. Mary's Church; this area, which also included the ground where the Harefield Place building stood, became a military cemetery.

The village fête is held annually in July.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
A412 · Bankside Close · Barden Close · Barrington Drive · Batchworth Hill · Batchworth Lane · Batchworth Roundabout · Belfry Avenue · Bellevue terrace · Breakspear Road North · Broadwater Gardens · Burbery Close · Bury Lake Circular Walk · Chapel Row · Childs Avenue · Dairy Farm Lane · Dellside · Dexter Road · Drakes Drive · Duck’s Hill Road · Duck’s Hill Road · Duck’s Hill Road · Dunster Close · Fallowfield Close · Farm Road · Fringewood Close · Frogmoor Lane · Glynswood Place · Harefield · Harefield Children’s Centre · Harefield Infant School · Harefield Junior School · Harefield Road · Harvill Road · Harvill Road · Heron Close · HERON PLACE · Hillingdon Trail · Home Farm Road · Hurst Place · Jackets Lane · Jackets Lane · Jacks Lane · Jacks Lane · Juniper Close · Juniper Gate · Kewferry Drive · Kingfisher Close · Knightscote Close · Landford Close · Lewis Close · London Road · Malm Close · Merle Avenue · Milne Way · Mossendew Close · New Farm Lane · New Park Road · Newdigate Green · Newdigate Road East · Newyears Green Lane · Oak Glade · Old Shire Lane · Orchard Close · Park Close · Peerless Drive · Penzance Close · Plaitford Close · Plough Lane · Rushmoor Close · Sanctuary Close · Sanderson Road · Sandy Lodge Road · Sandy Lodge Road · Savoy Close · Shelley Lane · Sherfield Avenue · Shrubs Road · Shrubs Road · Springwell Lane · Springwell Lane · Springwood Close · St Anne’s Road · St Mary’s Church of England Primary School · ST MARY’S CLOSE · Stockers Farm Road · Summerhouse lane · Temple Gardens · Temple Gardens · The Byeway · The Harefield Academy · WATERSIDE MEWS · WATERSIDE MEWS · White Hill · White Hill · White Hill · Wickham Close · WOODCOCK HILL · WOODCOCK HILL ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles


Print-friendly version of this page

What is The Shrubs, UB9 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.