About the project

This is the blog for The Underground Map website – the history site for London.

The project is adding historical maps of London from every decade between 1800 and 1940, a period when London expanded from a city which did not extend beyond Mayfair, Vauxhall, Bethnal Green or Bermondsey. During the Napoleanic Wars at the beginning of this period, Regent’s Park was still countryside and taking the waters of Kilburn was the height of fashion. Our mapping ends at the dawn of the Second World War with London having expanded to its modern size – the Green Belt legislation put paid to further expansion.

There are two parts to the website – the main mapping website and this, the blog, which features London highlights.

To access the main part of the website, search or use the dropdown immediately below.
Or continue to explore the blog – the latest articles can be found at the bottom of this page.



Old Oak

Canalside House, 383 Ladbroke Grove. Headquarters of c.1928 for the Gas Light and Coke Company. A long block in the Neo-Georgian style, Canalside House is of fifteen bays and three storeys of stock brick with ashlar dressings. The building is today managed by Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea as office and meeting space for …

Read more

The building of Euston

Up to the eighteenth century the parish of St Pancras was mostly common land and pasture, with the only buildings being the old church and two manors. There was a manor house at Totenhale, to the north-east of what is now the Euston underpass, and there may have been a knot of buildings around the medieval manor of …

Read more

High Road Whetstone, N20

Memories of Whetstone collated by http://www.friern-barnethistory.org.uk   Just before Swan Lane there was a long row of very old cottages which had neither light nor water laid on. The Finchley Fire Brigade used these as an exercise for the Auxiliary Fire Service, under the command of Capt Tozer, in the summer before the war was declared …

Read more

Enfield Streets

ABERDARE ROAD In existence by 1903 . The 1914 O.S. shows this and adjoining roads laid out, but no houses built. Nothing was built until after World War I. All the roads on the estate are named after towns in South Wales. See also Glyn Road, Swansea Road, and Brecon Road. ACACIA ROAD Part of …

Read more