In 1619, a survey was made by Thomas Clay on behalf of the Earl of Dorset, owner of Tottenham Manor, and produced this map of the Parish of Tottenham, Middlesex. Note that south is on the top of this map – so it is upside down compared with most other maps.
Thomas Clay’s map depicts the High Road with intermittent buildings along its frontage, others set back within enclosed grounds, and concentrations around High Cross and near the northern parish boundary. Farmland or private grounds bordered much of the road, with no buildings between Stamford Hill and Tottenham Green. The main east-west thoroughfares linking Tottenham with Hornsey and Wood Green were established: the present White Hart Lane, Philip Lane, Berry Lane (Lordship Lane); Blackhope Lane (West Green Road) and Chisley Lane (St Ann’s Road). Eastwards, as-yet un-named, Marsh Lane (Park Lane) ran along the course of the Garbell Ditch, and High Cross Lane (Monument Way) and Broad Lane respectively linked High Cross and Page Green with The Hale.
It also shows a pond in the middle of the Gardens. The pond was roughly where Sainsbury’s is today and was fed by Hermitage Brook. The Brook was culverted and still flows undergroud today. Once the brook was culverted the pond naturally drained. Further north the culverting of Stonebridge Brook was less successful and regularly caused flooding of Green Lanes, Harringay Gardens and surrounding low lying roads.