June 2014 archive

Middlesex: Hornsey with Highgate – Religion

CHURCHES The living of Hornsey was assessed in 1291 and had a priest in 1302, when it was a rectory. Except during the Interregnum, when Sir John Wollaston was patron, it has been in the gift of the bishop of London from at least 1321. There were chapels at Muswell from c. 1190 and Highgate …

Continue reading

Middlesex: Finchley

Finchley, whose shape has been compared to a leg of mutton with its narrow end to the north at Whetstone, lay between Hertfordshire on the north and north-west, Hendon on the west, Hendon and Hampstead on the south, and Hornsey and Friern Barnet on the east. It contained 3,384 a. in 1871 and 3,475 a. …

Continue reading

Middlesex: Friern Barnet

Friern Barnet, home of Colney Hatch asylum, is a small parish 7 miles north of London and, with Finchley, protrudes into Hertfordshire. Its maximum length along the main north-north-west axis is 3 miles and nowhere is it more than 1½ mile wide. The extent of the civil parish was 1,304 a. in 1871. In 1891 …

Continue reading

Middlesex: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey, Highgate

A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6, Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey With Highgate By A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, M A Hicks and R B Pugh/ Edited by T F T Baker and C R Elrington. The volume covers the 3 outer parishes of the Finsbury division of Ossulstone hundred, separating the …

Continue reading