Monthly Archive: September 2017

Sep 30

Zoological Society Gardens

This item appeared as an entry in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: 1867 Publisher London : J. C. Hotten The digitised edition was scanned by the University of California Libraries …

Continue reading »

Sep 10

Almack’s, St James

Almack’s is covered by two eBooks published in the 19th century Curiosites of London (1867) London, Past and Present (1891) The following entry appeared in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: …

Continue reading »

Sep 05

Street names of Mayfair

This is a list of the etymology of street names in the London district of Mayfair, in the City of Westminster. It utilises the generally accepted boundaries of Mayfair viz. Marble Arch/Cumberland Gate and Oxford Street to the north, Regent Street to the east, Piccadilly to the south and Park Lane to the west. Achilles …

Continue reading »

Sep 03

Adelphi

This subject is covered by two eBooks published in the 19th century Curiosites of London (1867) London, Past and Present (1891) The following entry appeared in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication …

Continue reading »

Sep 02

The Harley Estate of Marylebone

The Harley Street Conservation Area is situated within the boundaries of the ancient Manor of St Marylebone. The history of the Manor can be traced back to the Domesday Book in the 11th century, when the area was divided into two manors: Lilestone and Tyburn. Much of the area was covered with forest and marshland and formed part of thegreat forest of …

Continue reading »

Sep 01

Ashley Drive, WD6

Ashley Drive was one of the original Laing estate roads. Borehamwood might have looked very different if two 1930s plans had not been halted by the War. Since work had begun on extending the Underground system to Elstree Hill from Edgware, the John Laing company purchased hundreds of acres, intending to create a garden town. …

Continue reading »