Monthly Archive: January 2018

Jan 17

Vincent Square, SW1

    The following entry appeared in the Victorian publication London, Past and Present  by Henry Benjamin Wheatley (1838-1917) Publication date: 1891 Publisher London : John Murray, Albemarle Street Vincent Square, WESTMINSTER, built early in this century on the site of the Bear Garden in Tothill Fields, was so called after William Vincent, Dean of Westminster (d. 1816). …

Continue reading »

Jan 10

Albert Place, W8

Albert Place is a cul-de-sac although there is a hidden footpath on the north side of the street leading to Cambridge Place. Between the Vallotton Estate and Kensington Road to the north, was a house with grounds owned by William Hoof, a successful builder. He entered into a deal with Vallotton to construct Albert Place …

Continue reading »

Jan 04

Whitehouse Avenue, WD6

Whitehouse Farm was situated on Furzehill Road, dated to the 18th century and originally spread over 200 acres. It was owned by the Church of England. After the railway became established in the area, the population grew and as new industries were introduced more houses and roads were required, Drayton Road being the first in …

Continue reading »