July 2019 archive

Islington S-Z

The introduction can be found here First published 1986: Islington Local History Education Trust Digital edition (revised) 2017: Islington Heritage Service Islington A-D Islington E-K Islington L-R Islington S-Z (this page) SABLE GROVE, Sebbon Street In 1843 rate book only. SABLE STREET. Canonbury Square (1827) On census returns until 1871. The William Tyndale Primary School …

Continue reading

Islington L-R

The introduction can be found here First published 1986: Islington Local History Education Trust Digital edition (revised) 2017: Islington Heritage Service Islington A-D Islington E-K Islington L-R (this page) Islington S-Z LACKINGTON STREET Before 1936 CROSS STREET (1827). Re-numbered 1875. Named after James Lackington (1746-1815), a once celebrated bookseller. His shop to be the largest …

Continue reading

Islington E-K

The introduction can be found here First published 1986: Islington Local History Education Trust Digital edition (revised) 2017: Islington Heritage Service Islington A-D Islington E-K (this page) Islington L-R Islington S-Z EAGLE COURT, St. John’s Lane. Was there in 1720, Eagle Court Board School 1874-1918. Day Continuation School, 1923. Used later by the College for …

Continue reading

The Fascination of Putney

PUTNEY BY J. C. GEIKIE. The first mention made of Putney—styled “Putenhie” in the Conqueror’s Domesday Book, and “Puttenheth” in all subsequent records—is in connection with the fishery and ferry which existed here at the time of the Conquest. In 1663 the fishery was held for the three best salmon caught in March, April, and …

Continue reading

Isle of Dogs (1100-1918)

The Normans are the first recorded settlers. William of Pontefract had an 80-acre estate on the Isle of Dogs (then called Stepney Marsh, later ‘The Island’) in the late 12th century, his lands boasting a chapel and a manor house. And by the mid 14th century the manor and its farms were still intact, with …

Continue reading