Scott Hatton

Most commented posts

  1. Kensal Green — 5 comments
  2. The Estates of West Hampstead — 4 comments
  3. Rillington Place — 3 comments
  4. Shopping in Kilburn High Road (1970s) — 2 comments
  5. The pubs of Portobello Road — 2 comments

Author's posts

Maxwell’s Hampstead

From “Hampstead, its historic houses, its literary and artistic associations”, Anna Maxwell (1912)  PRIORY LODGE. That ” small house ” has been enlarged, and become the present Priory Lodge, which, happily for the pilgrim’s purpose, remains untenanted and in the care of a person who can point out the original Johnson rooms, also facilitating a …

Continue reading

Albert Place, W8

Albert Place is a cul-de-sac although there is a hidden footpath on the north side of the street leading to Cambridge Place. Between the Vallotton Estate and Kensington Road to the north, was a house with grounds owned by William Hoof, a successful builder. He entered into a deal with Vallotton to construct Albert Place …

Continue reading

Whitehouse Avenue, WD6

Whitehouse Farm was situated on Furzehill Road, dated to the 18th century and originally spread over 200 acres. It was owned by the Church of England. After the railway became established in the area, the population grew and as new industries were introduced more houses and roads were required, Drayton Road being the first in …

Continue reading

The Crystal Palace, Sydenham

  This item appeared as an entry in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: 1867 Publisher London : J. C. Hotten The digitised edition was scanned by the University of California …

Continue reading

Heath House, Hampstead

From “Hampstead, its historic houses, its literary and artistic associations” Anna Maxwell (1912) The fine old house which stands full-face to the pond was bought in the year 1790 by Samuel Hoare, of the old Norfolk Quaker family, who had joined the firm of bankers in Lombard Street in 1772. During the residence of Mr. …

Continue reading

Manor Way, WD6

Just before the Second World War, there were already plans for Borehamwood to expand, To the south of the newly-built Elstree Way, a upside down Y shape pattern of three new roads was laid out. Manor Way led from Elstree Way to a new roundabout where two other new roads met – Cranes Way and …

Continue reading

Abingdon Villas, W8

Abingdon Villas runs between Earls Court Road and Marloes Road. The eastern section of the street consists of red-brick five-storey mansion blocks and the south side of three-storey white stucco houses. The western end has a mixture of three-storey houses, some of which are partially stuccoed and others only stuccoed up to first floor level. …

Continue reading

Albert Mews, SW7

Albert Mews is a small cobbled mews which has an attractive arched entrance leading onto Victoria Grove, and a gargoyle on the top of the arch. The east side consists of ground floor garages with living accommodation on the first floor. The entrance doors are on the first floor and they are approached along a first …

Continue reading

London – South of the Thames : Chapter VIII

This is a digitised copy of the book “London – South of the Thames” by Sir Walter Besant Published in London by Adam & Charles Black (1912) This is in its raw form. Sections will be improved manually on this blog as time goes on. CHAPTER VIII CAMBERWELL In the Domesday Book this parish is called …

Continue reading

Zoological Society Gardens

This item appeared as an entry in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: 1867 Publisher London : J. C. Hotten The digitised edition was scanned by the University of California Libraries …

Continue reading