Scott Hatton

Author's posts

King’s Cross

Street names for the new N1C development were created as the result of a competition and described here: https://www.kingscross.co.uk/media/KX-Street-Naming-Booklet.pdf   [BASIL] JELLICOE WAY St Pancras House Improvement Society was established by Father Basil Jellicoe and Irene Barclay. Father Jellicoe led a famous campaign in the 1930s to rehouse slum dwellers in the Somers Town and …

Continue reading

East End Churches

Much of this section  derives from the research of Prebendary Arthur Royall (13 October 1919 – 17 June 2013). East London Churches with dates of Consecration The Parish Churches Of Bethnal Green St. Matthew 1746 St. John on Bethnal Green 1823 St. Philip 1840 St. Peter 1841 St. Andrew 1841 St. James the Less 1842. …

Continue reading

Poplar

Much of this section about Poplar derives from the writings of Prebendary Arthur Royall (13 October 1919 – 17 June 2013). Many of his articles became part of the Royall family website at http://www.royall.co.uk/. His street names of Poplar was mostly in turn derived from The Streets of London by S.Fairfield, an out-of-print book published by Macmillan …

Continue reading

The Welsh Harp

The Brent Reservoir, or “Welsh Harp”, is not a reservoir for drinking water, but a relic of the Canal Age. Soon after the Paddington Branch of the Grand Junction Canal opened in 1801, the River Brent was identified as a source of extra water for it. In 1810/11, a narrow “Feeder” was built to channel water more than …

Continue reading

Shoreditch

A GENERAL HISTORY OF SHOREDITCH AND SOUTH HOXTON The history of Shoreditch has been largely dictated by its location outside the City walls of London. The origin of the name is unknown, but it has a Saxon origin and may come from the “Sewerditch”, a stream, which ran east of St Leonard’s to near Holywell …

Continue reading

Curiosities of London: T-Z

This was scanned in from an old document which has caused numerous misreadings of words. As time moves on, this will be improved. Curiosities of London TATTESHALL’S, THE celebrated sporting rendezvous and auction mart for horses, known as the ” Corner” (i.e., at Hyde Park Corner), in the rear of St. George’s Hospital, and approached …

Continue reading

Curiosities of London: S

This was scanned in from an old document which has caused numerous misreadings of words. As time moves on, this will be improved. Curiosities of London SAVOY {THE). ON the spot, south side of the Strand, and which still bears the name of Savoy, but is now mostly occupied by Wellington-street and Lancaster-place, was anciently …

Continue reading

Curiosities of London: P-R

This was scanned in from an old document which has caused numerous misreadings of words. As time moves on, this will be improved. Curiosities of London PADDINGTON NAMED from the Saxon Fcedingas and tun, the town of the Psedings (Kemble’s Saxons in England), was, in the last century, a pleasant little rural village, scarcely a …

Continue reading

Wapping Housing Estate (1926)

A list of the houses comprising the Wapping Housing Estate: Willoughby House. Sir Hugh Willoughby was appointed captain of a fleet of three ships, which set out in 1553, with the object of discovering a north-eastern passage to Cathay and India. Two of the three ships reached the coast of Lapland, where it was proposed …

Continue reading

Public housing in Poplar

The dominance of public housing in Poplar’s built environment is a relatively recent phenomenon. Most of it was built between 1950 and 1980, and by 1981, 97.6 per cent of all dwellings in the Borough of Tower Hamlets (formed in 1965 and including Poplar) were owned by local authorities. Despite the many working-class families in …

Continue reading