Category: NW1

Parkway, NW1

Parkway is one of Camden Town’s older roads – originally called ’The Crooked Lane’.

Ampthill Square, NW1

Ampthill Square is a name which has existed in two different time periods.

Regent’s Park

Marylebone Park, later Regent’s Park, was formerly part of the manor of Marylebone, held by the nunnery of Barking. In the 16th century, the land passed to the Crown and was enclosed as a deer park. During the 18th century the area was leased as farm land by the Duke of Portland, reverting to the …

Continue reading

The building of Euston

Up to the eighteenth century the parish of St Pancras was mostly common land and pasture, with the only buildings being the old church and two manors. There was a manor house at Totenhale, to the north-east of what is now the Euston underpass, and there may have been a knot of buildings around the medieval manor of …

Continue reading

Zoological Society Gardens

This item appeared as an entry in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: 1867 Publisher London : J. C. Hotten The digitised edition was scanned by the University of California Libraries …

Continue reading

The Fascination of Marylebone

The derivation of this name is simple. Lysons says: “The name of this place was anciently called Tiburn, from its situation near a small bourn or rivulet formerly called Aye-brook or Eye-brook, and now Tybourn Brook. When the site of the church was altered to another spot, near the same brook, it became St. Mary …

Continue reading

The Harley Estate of Marylebone

The Harley Street Conservation Area is situated within the boundaries of the ancient Manor of St Marylebone. The history of the Manor can be traced back to the Domesday Book in the 11th century, when the area was divided into two manors: Lilestone and Tyburn. Much of the area was covered with forest and marshland and formed part of thegreat forest of …

Continue reading

Contrasting Camden Town and Regent’s Park

Cumberland Basin attracted many factories over the years. A vinegar works, piano factories, gramophone record makers —-. The list goes on and on. Many servants who worked in the large houses in Regent’s Park, lived in the small, terraced houses round the basin. These were among the houses which were to become so overcrowded when …

Continue reading

Park Village East, NW1

In 1995, two fine houses from the beginning of the nineteenth century were carefully restored. They are in Park Village East and can be seen from the Gloucester Road Bridge, at the top of Parkway. The first two houses in the road, they were built in the 1830s but, owing to the unusual pattern of …

Continue reading

The Adam and Eve Tearooms

[advanced_iframe securitykey=”73bfdf36bff161fdb6d48c80a87afbe943e66891″ src=”″ width=”400″ height=”400″] N.B. Clicking on map markers take you to articles on the main website On the west side of Hampstead Road, at its southern end where it now joins Euston Road, stood the Adam and Eve, a place of entertainment which was a popular resort when the surroundings of Tottenham Court …

Continue reading