Category Archive: SW1

Vincent Square, SW1

    The following entry appeared in the Victorian publication London, Past and Present  by Henry Benjamin Wheatley (1838-1917) Publication date: 1891 Publisher London : John Murray, Albemarle Street Vincent Square, WESTMINSTER, built early in this century on the site of the Bear Garden in Tothill Fields, was so called after William Vincent, Dean of Westminster (d. 1816). …

Continue reading »

Almack’s, St James

Almack’s is covered by two eBooks published in the 19th century Curiosites of London (1867) London, Past and Present (1891) The following entry appeared in the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: …

Continue reading »

1766: Hyde Park

A PLAN of HYDE-PARK with the CITY and LIBERTIES of WESTMINSTER &c. Shewing the several IMPROVEMENTS propos’d by architect John Gwynn (1766). This plan shows renovations in Hyde Park and around Westminster. Two Royal palaces have been planned, in Hyde Park and Green Park. The red lines show an intention to regularise the street plan, replacing …

Continue reading »

Northumberland House

In the 16th century the Strand, which connects the City of London with the royal centre of Westminster, was lined with the mansions of some of England’s richest prelates and noblemen. Most of the grandest houses were on the southern side of the road and had gardens stretching down to the River Thames. In around …

Continue reading »