The conservation area is defined by three distinct developments. First, the eastern part around Trevor Square, Montpelier Square and Place dated early 19th century. Secondly, the central part developed during the mid-19th century, consisting of large stucco houses detailed in a classical manner including Princes Gate, Rutland Gate, Queens Gate, and part of Ennismore Gardens. Thirdly, the western part dated late 19th century with the Royal Albert Hall (1867-71) by Captain Fawkes, the Royal Geographical Society building (1867-71) by Norman Shaw. Other buildings of interest include; the Royal College of Music (1883) by Sir Arthur Blomfield; the Royal College of Music and Technology by Aston Webb; the Royal College of Organists; and Holy Trinity Church. The area was greatly influenced by the Great Exhibition of 185 11 which was located just north of South Carriage Drive.
The area provides a gateway to Knightsbridge and retains much of its late Victorian development. It is metropolitan in scale and built with red brick with stone and faience dressings, similar to the character of the Knightsbridge Green Conservation Area. But earlier development includes two classical stuccoed Palazzo-style blocks which flank the Albert Gate, designed by Thomas Cubitt in 1840.
The only modern development is 60 Knightsbridge, built in the 1960s.
The area retains much of its late Victorian development which is metropolitan in scale and built in red brick with stone and faience dressings. Most post second world war redevelopment in this area has failed to respect the established late Victorian character and scale and has visually disrupted the continuity of the townscape. However the quality of the remaining buildings with their uniform scale, materials and details still dominate the area.