The following entry appeared in the Victorian publication London, Past and Present by Henry Benjamin Wheatley (1838-1917)
Publication date: 1891
Publisher London : John Murray, Albemarle Street
Vincent Square, WESTMINSTER, built early in this century on the site of the Bear Garden in Tothill Fields, was so called after William Vincent, Dean of Westminster (d. 1816). The church of St. Mary the Virgin was designed by Edward Blore, F.S.A., and consecrated October 12, 1837. Here is the Westminster Police Court, removed, 1845, from Queen Square, where it had been fixed so long as to be quite identified with the locality. Here, too, are the Coldstream Guards’ Hospital, and a hospital for women and children.