The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.
In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.
You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.
As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.
You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.
Latest on The Underground Map...
Mint Street, an ancient Southwark street, (now) runs off Marchelsea Road. Mint Street dates from before 1679 in which year Thomas Lant married the daughter of Sir Edward Bromfield, and thus acquired an interest in a house called Suffolk Place. By then, Mint Street is shown on Morden and Lea’s map of 1682 and was closely developed.
The Mint Street area had been known as ’The Mint’. It was a slum area with privileges for debtors until The Mint in Southwark Act 1722 removed these rights. The area remained a slum until the 19th century.
The St Saviour’s Union Workhouse at Mint Street is thought to have provided Dickens with the model for the scene in Oliver Twist where the starving boy "asks for more". The workhouse in Mint Street dated back to 1729. In October 1731 it was reported that “there are now in it 68 Men, Women, and Children, of which all that are able, spin Mop-Yarn, and Yarn for Stockings, which are knit by the Women; and beside this Work, 25 Children are taught to read, and say their Catechism.”
Barnes Cray is located on the Greater London border with Kent, bordering Dartford Barnes Cray is named for the Barne family, who owned land here in the mid-18th century.
Up until the Victorian era it was a hamlet a kilometre downstream of Crayford where no more than sixteen homes were clustered. A calico-printing works drew water power from the culverted River Wansunt in early Victorian times, being later adapted for the manufacture of rubber goods, then felt and finally Brussels carpets. This carpet mill was demolished by 1890 and Barnes Cray House, the next largest building, was cleared by 1933, ending its days as a nursing home.
The remnants of the settlement became absorbed into Crayford with the building of a garden village to facilitate the expansion of Vickers’ armaments factory during the 1915 to 1919 period. Six hundred cottages were built in a variety of styles.
In 1920 the area became part of the Crayford Urban District of Kent (having previously been in Dartford Rural District).
Dartford lies at the heart of the Thames Gateway, one of the largest growth areas in the UK Dartford is going through a period of great change with a rising population and extensive new commercial and residential development.
Originally a Roman settlement, Dartford is an old market town connected in history with Wat Tyler’s rebellion of 1381. Dartford was known at various times in its history as Darentford, Tarentford and Dorquentford.
The town centre boasts notable historic buildings. Holy Trinity Church dates from Norman times and has a mediaeval mural. The Royal Manor Gatehouse dates from the time of Henry VIII.
There is a museum and library in the town centre, which also has a wide range of shopping facilities. Two weekly markets are held in the town on Thursdays and Saturdays.
A number of ancient parishes lie to the south of the town, each of which has its own links with English history. Evidence of this can be seen in the many fine churches and old buildings that remain. Darenth Country Pa...
Parsifal Road, NW6
Parsifal Road runs from Finchley Road to Fortune Green Road The land had belonged to the Flitcroft estate and the name Parsifal Road was approved in 1883.
New College was built at the eastern end in 1887. Between 1890 and 1897, 13 large detached and semi-detached houses were built in Parsifal Road.
»read full article
Barra Hall Park
Barra Hall Park is an 11 hectare formal park situated near the centre of Hayes Barra Hall was originally a manor house, and formerly known as Grove House. In the late eighteenth century it was home to Harvey Combe, who became Lord Mayor of London in 1799. In 1871 was bought by Robert Reid, an auctioneer and surveyor who claimed descent from the Reids of Barra. After enlarging and refacing the building he changed its name to Barra Hall in 1875.
On 20 December 1923, Hayes Urban District Council bought Barra Hall and its grounds from then owner Ethel Penfold for £5700 in order to use it as a town hall.
The Barra Hall building was officially opened as town hall on 23 February 1924 and its grounds became a municipal park with playground, tennis courts and a paddling pool opened by music hall star Jessie Matthews. Barra Hall Park features ornamental lawns, recreational grass areas, rose and shrub beds, seasonal bedding and mature trees.
»read full article