The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.
In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.
You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.
As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.
You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.
Latest on The Underground Map...
The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane. From around the 1750, The Elms was under the ownership of a number of people. Mr and Mrs Pickersgill were in occupation between 1829 and 1832. The husband, Henry William Pickersgill, was an eminent portrait painter. Mrs Pickersgill ran a school for ‘female education’.
From 1832 John Ebers, a widowed theatre manager with two daughters moved into The Elms. He moved into the world of publishing.
Next, the writer William Harrison Ainsworth lived in the house (his wife was Fanny Ebers, daughter of John). Here he began writing his novel ’Rookwood’, about the notorious highwayman Dick Turpin. John Ebers published the book. Although the inn where Dick Turpin met his accomplices is based on The Cock in Kilburn, the story is fictitious and there’s no historical evidence to link Turpin to Kilburn.
The Elms stood on the site of the later Gaumont State Cinema.»more
Brockwell Park is a 50 hectare park located between Brixton, Herne Hill and Tulse Hill The Grade II listed Brockwell Hall was originally built between 1811-1813 when the area was part of Surrey and was the country seat of glass merchant John Blades as the centrepiece of his Park Estate. The perimeter of today’s park reflects the boundary of the original estate.
The land and house were acquired by the London County Council (LCC) in March 1891 and opened to the public on 2 June in the following summer, led by the local MP Thomas Lynn Bristowe. At the unveiling, he died of a heart attack on the steps of Brockwell Hall.
In 1901 the LCC acquired a further 43 acres of land north of the original park.
J.J. Sexby, the Chief Officer of Parks of the LCC designed the conversion of the estate into a public park. When he came to the estate he described it as displaying "a wildness ... the beauties of Nature unadorned... long stretches of undulating grassland dotted here and there with fine specimen trees ... When it was bought for the...
Wembley Park is a London Underground station, the nearest Underground station to the Wembley Stadium complex Tracks were laid through the area by the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan Line) when it extended its services from Willesden Green to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Services to Harrow started on 2 August 1880 although Wembley Park station was not constructed until later.
The station was constructed to serve the pleasure grounds developed by the MR at Wembley Park, a former country estate bought by the company in 1881 as a destination for excursion trips on the company’s trains. The station opened for the first time on 14 October 1893 and initially operated to serve only Saturday football matches in the park. It opened fully on 12 May 1894.
Later in the 1890s, the Great Central Railway’s (GCR’s) London extension was constructed adjacent to the MR’s tracks. The tracks pass under the entrance building but the station has never been served by mainline operators. In 1905 the tracks were electrified and the first electric trains became operational. B...
Kilburn House and its grounds faced Edgware Road, a short distance north of today’s Victoria Road At the beginning of 19th century, Kilburn House was a pleasant suburban villa with extensive grounds. For most of its previous history it was leased to wealthy tenants, who usually stayed only a few years.
In 1838, Lady Elizabeth Conyngham was temporarily living at Kilburn House. She was the daughter of Joseph Denison, a wealthy banker and landowner. In 1794 she married Henry the 1st Marquis of Conyngham but had a number of affairs, including one with the young Tsar Nicholas I of Russia. In 1820 she became the final mistress of George, Prince of Wales and Prince Regent.
In 1839, William Henry Smith bought Kilburn House and the mansion became the family home. Smith made his fortune by efficient distribution of newspapers all over the country. Smith had fallen ill through overwork and the family hoped that the move to Kilburn would help him to relax. But instead, at 4am every morning, a carriage took father and son back to their Strand office to oversee th...
La Délivrance is a five metre-high bronze statue of a naked woman holding a sword aloft La Délivrance was created as a celebration of the First Battle of the Marne, when the German army was stopped before capturing Paris in August 1914. It is the work of French sculptor Émile Oscar Guillaume (1867-1942) and was originally called ’La Victoire’. It depicts a naked female figure standing on tip-toe with both feet on a bronze hemisphere. She lifts her face to the sky and holds both arms aloft, with a sword in her right hand with the title ’Delivrance’ embossed on the hilt.
On 17 October 1919, the French newspaper Le Matin announced that 11 copies of the statue, renamed ’La Délivrance’, would be offered to 11 cities of France and Belgium, occupied or destroyed by the Germans.
The London version has been displayed at Henly’s Corner, at the bottom of Regents Park Road at the southern edge of Finchley in north London since 1927.
In 1920 Guillaume exhibited his statue at the Paris Salon, where it won the Hor...