The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51423 -0.21734, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Featured · Notting Dale ·
July
29
2021

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Blechynden Street, W10
Blechynden Street is now a tiny street in the vicinity of Latimer Road station, W10 The stump that remains belies its story as one of the main streets of the area.

Blechynden Street crossed a 50-acre estate that a barrister, James Whitchurch, purchased for £10 an acre in the early 19th century. He left his home in Blechynden in Southampton and built himself a house in Lancaster Road, North Kensington, now situated at No. 133.

Streets were built on the estate in 1846, and the first were named Aldermaston, Silchester, Bramley and Pamber after four neighbouring villages near Basingstoke, which was where James Whitchurch’s daughter Florence Blechynden Whitchurch was living.

After dividing the land into plots, he leased them to builders such as John Calverley, a Notting Hill builder who named a street after himself.

Other developers involved were Joseph Job Martin, the landlord of The Lancaster Tavern in Walmer Road, as well as the developer of Martin Street. Stephen Hurst, a builder from Kentish Town, was r...

»more

JULY
13
2021

 

Eversholt Street, NW1
Eversholt Street connects Euston with Camden Town The origins of Eversholt Street lay in the 1750s when the New Road (later Euston Road) was established to bypass the congestion of London. North of this road were fields, brick works and market gardens. There was an informal path heading south from what later became Camden Town roughly along the line of the later street.

At the end of the 17th century, the Lord Chancellor John Somers acquired the local freehold. The immediate area was, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, known as Fig Mead.

The course of Eversholt Street began in the 1810s as the area developed. It provided a new route from the New Road with Camden Town. The name Eversholt Street was originally given only to its very northern, Bedford Estate part above Cranleigh Street (which was itself formerly Johnson Street). The Eversholt name refers to a village in Bedfordshire, most of the land in the village being owned by the Dukes of Bedford.

Eversholt Street is now ...
»more


JULY
12
2021

 

Balcombe Street, NW1
Balcombe Street is possibly a corruption of Batcombe, Dorset, in line with other Dorset-related street names in the area Balcombe Street, Dorset Square and Gloucester Place all date from 1815-1820. Balcombe Street was at first known as Milton Street.

The streets formed part of the Portman Estate. Their layout shows a social hierarchy of square, thoroughfares and side streets mirrored by a hierarchy in the design of houses, from the grand four storey buildings in Dorset Square to the rather less grand terraces and smaller houses in Balcombe Street and Gloucester Place and the significantly smaller scale of the three and two storey ‘third rate’ houses in the side streets and mews.

There are some 180 grade II buildings including the whole of Dorset Square, most of Balcombe Street and Gloucester Place. The predominant materials are brick and stucco.

The London part of the Portman Estate in Marylebone covers 110 acres and covers 68 streets, 650 buildings and four garden squares. In 1948 the Estate, then valued at £10 million, was subject to death duties of ...
»more


JULY
11
2021

 

Oslo Court, NW8
Oslo Court was built between 1936 and 1938 by architect Robert Atkinson Oslo Court was built over the final remaining 30 workmen’s cottages in the St John’s Wood area. These were demolished in 1936, after which the gentrification of NW8 was more or less complete (Lisson Grove notwithstanding).

The block consists of seven floors containing 125 flats, 112 of which have a direct view over Regent’s Park.

This work of Robert Atkinson has been described as the style of ’restrained modernism’ by englishbuildings.blogspot.com. Crittall windows are used and there are small sculptural panels, with Nordic themes such as a reindeer and a long boat. Each flat was designed with a living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and a small hall. Each also had a balcony, and a restaurant was provided on the ground floor for the use of tenants. The rents varied from £140 to £250 per annum, according to the outward aspect of the view.

Many blocks in the area had restaurants in days gone by but have, one by one, disappeared. ...
»more


JULY
10
2021

 

Waldegrave Road, TW11
Waldegrave Road is named after Frances Waldegrave and was the birthplace of Sir Noël Coward Waldegrave Road was named after Frances Waldegrave, the widow of the 7th Earl Waldegrave who lived at Strawberry Hill House, situated on the road in the 19th century.

The road is split into two sections - a Teddington (TW11) part and a Twickenham (TW1) section. The Teddington part of Waldegrave Road is noted for late Victorian semi-detached villas.

This road, connecting Teddington with Strawberry Hill, was at first known as Fry’s Lane. In the early nineteenth century it became Factory Lane after Alexander Barclay built a wax manufacturing factory in 1800. After the death of Frances, Lady Waldegrave, in 1879, the name changed to its modern form.

Following enclosure at the beginning of the nineteenth century, a large pond covered the south west part of the road at the centre of Teddington. In 1863, a new railway track was built through the site of the pond. A road bridge was constructed to reunite the two parts of Teddington that had been ...
»more





LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 09:12 GMT   

Dunloe Avenue, N17
I was born in 1951,my grandparents lived at 5 Dunloe Avenue.I had photos of the coronation decorations in the area for 1953.The houses were rented out by Rowleys,their ’workers yard’ was at the top of Dunloe Avenue.The house was fairly big 3 bedroom with bath and toilet upstairs,and kitchenette downstairs -a fairly big garden.My Grandmother died 1980 and the house was taken back to be rented again

Reply
Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 08:59 GMT   

Spigurnell Road, N17
I was born and lived in Spigurnell Road no 32 from 1951.My father George lived in Spigurnell Road from 1930’s.When he died in’76 we moved to number 3 until I got married in 1982 and moved to Edmonton.Spigurnell Road was a great place to live.Number 32 was 2 up 2 down toilet out the back council house in those days

Reply
Comment
Lewis   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 20:48 GMT   

Ploy
Allotment

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply
Lived here
David James Bloomfield   
Added: 13 Jul 2021 11:54 GMT   

Hurstway Street, W10
Jimmy Bloomfield who played for Arsenal in the 1950s was brought up on this street. He was a QPR supporter as a child, as many locals would be at the time, as a teen he was rejected by them as being too small. They’d made a mistake

Reply

AUGUST
31
2018

 

Acacia Road, EN2
Acacia Road was built as part of the Birkbeck Estate. Plans were submitted for houses in 1880 and these appear on an auctioneer’s plan of 1887.

Many of the roads on the Birkbeck Estate were named after flowers - Hawthorn Grove, Myrtle Grove, Lavender Road, Primrose Avenue, Rosemary Avenue, Violet Avenue and Woodbine Grove.
»read full article


AUGUST
29
2018

 

Lymington Road, NW6
Lymington Road is a street in London NW6 Lymington Road is a long road in West Hampstead stretching from Fortune Green Road to the Finchley Road, emerging there opposite Arkwright Road.
»read full article


AUGUST
28
2018

 

Whittlebury Street, NW1
Whittlebury Street once laid to the west of Euston station. Euston Station was enlarged in 1875 with new platforms and railway lines on its western side. This entailed the loss of Whittlebury Street and a substantial tranche of the former burial ground at St James’s Gardens. A widened cutting also caused the demolition of the carriage sheds and part of Ampthill Square.
»read full article


AUGUST
27
2018

 

Jewish Military Museum
The Jewish Military Museum features exhibits about Jews serving in the British armed forces from the 18th century to the present day. The Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen and Women founded the museum in 1996 as a memorial room in their headquarters in Stamford Hill had grown too large. Henry Morris had founded the room as a way of remembering those who had died in active service.

The museum holds a range of items relating to Jewish people who have served in the British armed forces, including uniforms, medals, photographs, letters and official documents. The collections cover conflicts from the 18th century to the present day, including Trafalgar, Waterloo, the Boer War, the First and Second World Wars, the Falklands War and the modern-day conflict in Afghanistan.

The museum moved to Harmony Way in 2004 and was accredited in 2010.
»read full article


AUGUST
26
2018

 

Hole In the Wall
The Hole In The Wall is a local Waterloo institution. The Hole In The Wall is actually quite a large hole in a wall, being situated in railway arches in front of Waterloo Station. It has been a watering hole of choice for commuters for many a year.

It is a long-time real ale outlet from the earliest days of CAMRA when real ale was rare in the area. The 1975 CAMRA Good Beer Guide described The Hole in the Wall as a recently refurbished railway-arch pub and beers on offer were Young’s, Bass Worthington, Brakspear and Ruddles.

It enjoys the frequent rumble of trains overhead. Folk music features on Sunday evenings.
»read full article


AUGUST
25
2018

 

Church Farmhouse Museum
Church Farmhouse Museum was situated in a 17th-century farmhouse in Hendon – the oldest surviving dwelling in Hendon. The building is a two-storey, red brick farmhouse with three gables and centrally placed chimney stacks. It is typical of 17th-century Middlesex vernacular architecture. A blue plaque commemorates Mark Lemon, who lived in the house as a child between 1817 and 1823. His book Tom Moody’s Tales includes recollections of his childhood in the area.

The house was owned by the Kempe family between 1688 and 1780, and later by the Dunlop family from 1869-1943. Andrew Dunlop came from Ayrshire to live in the house and worked the farm where he mainly produced hay for residents, businesses and horses.

In 1944 the farmhouse, outbuildings and adjoining land were bought by the council and in more recent years the museum was set up to show how an ordinary farming family used to live.

The museum had two period rooms, a period kitchen and scullery, two exhibition spaces and a large garden with a pond. Barnet Council withdrew funding from Church Far...
»more


AUGUST
24
2018

 

Northcote Road, SW11
Northcote Road is a shopping street between Clapham and Battersea, which stretches over half a mile. The area south of Battersea Rise centred on Northcote Road lies at the core of modern, upwardly mobile, child-rearing south Battersea. This is ‘Nappy Valley’, where the plentiful boutiques, restaurants and cafés cater as much for the booming infant population as for their affluent parents. Once part of an estate attached to Bolingbroke Grove House, on the site of the former Bolingbroke Hospital, it comprises about thirty-five acres bordering Wandsworth Common and is almost a suburb in itself. It was developed in phases, mostly in the 1870s–90s, under one of the freehold land societies with nigh on 600 houses, as well as shops, churches and schools.

It was the Conservative Land Society (CLS) which in 1868 acquired the undeveloped remnant of the Bolingbroke Grove House estate from Henry Wheeler, its last private owner. The CLS had been active in north Battersea since the 1850s, buying estates to increase Tory support among the working classes by selling sm...
»more


AUGUST
23
2018

 

Holmshill School
Holmshill School was a secondary school in Borehamwood. Holmshill School was established like many other local schools in the early 1950s.

Having had a long life under its own name as Holmshill School in Thrift Farm Lane, with the millennium reorganisation of local schooling, it became the second site of Hertswood School, known as Hertswood Upper School.

In November 2013, the academy announced plans to move the entire school to new buildings on the Cowley Hill site, funded by the sale of the Thrift Farm Lane site which would be demolished for housing. In March 2014 plans were pushed back to extend the consultation period.

A planning application was submitted in December 2014 for the new academy, temporary classrooms and the residential development on the Thrift Farm Lane site. This was part of the current schedule to move all students to the Cowley Hill site in December 2015 and open the new academy in January 2018.
»read full article


AUGUST
22
2018

 

Somers Town
Somers Town is a district close to three main line rail termini - Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross. Historically, the name Somers Town was used for the larger triangular area between the Pancras, Hampstead, and Euston Roads, but it is now taken to mean the rough rectangle bounded by Pancras Road, Euston Road and Eversholt Street.

Somers Town was named after Charles Cocks, 1st Baron Somers (1725–1806). The area was originally granted by William III to John Somers (1651–1716), Lord Chancellor and Baron Somers of Evesham.

In the mid 1750s the New Road was established to bypass the congestion of London; Somers Town lay immediately north of this east-west toll road. In 1784, the first housing was built at the Polygon amid fields, brick works and market gardens on the northern fringes of London. The site of the Polygon is now occupied by a block of council flats called Oakshott Court.

The Polygon deteriorated socially as the surrounding land was subsequently sold off in smaller lots for cheaper housing, especially after the start of constr...
»more


AUGUST
21
2018

 

Sutton High Street, SM1
What is now known as Sutton High Street was previously a turnpike road from London to Brighton. Carshalton Road (Cheam Road) was also an important road through Sutton, connecting a chain of old towns between Croydon and Guildford and for this reason was added as a turnpike road. The Cock Hotel was located at the crossroads, on the corner of Carshalton Road and ’Cock Hill’ (now the High Street) and was one of only two coaching inns in Sutton (the other was the Greyhound, further down the High Street). The inns provided a resting and changing place for horses as well as food and drink for passengers en route.

The original Cock Hotel and Cock ’Tap’ were built on the corner shortly after 1755 and remained there until 1896 when the old Cock Tap beer house was demolished and the ’new’ Cock Hotel was built in its place. Both the old and new hotels stood alongside for a brief period, before the old hotel was demolished. The old Tap and the new hotel were both set back from the road, creating a forecourt at the junction and this setback ...
»more


AUGUST
20
2018

 

Rye Lane, SE15
Rye Lane runs from Peckham High Street at the north, down to the corner of Copeland Road where The Nags Head sits at the south. Originally called ’South Street’ and now named after Peckham Rye Park, Rye Lane is a very different place now compared to the early 1700s, when Peckham was just a village of around 600 people on the outskirts of London. The street then would have been one of the main thoroughfares into London, bustling with market stalls, colourful gardens and rows of orchards growing produce for nearby London’s increasingly demanding population.

Back then, Peckham was one of the last stopping points for traders on their way into London, who would have stopped for the night at a local inn. Over the years, Rye Lane and the surrounding streets became an area of important industrial activity due to its links into London and access to markets, fields and even docks.

As Peckham became a sought-after area, Rye Lane developed into a major shopping destination (often referred to as the ‘Golden Mile’) which even rivalled the likes of Oxford Street. In 1867, Jones...
»more


AUGUST
19
2018

 

Roding Valley
With roughly 210,000 passengers a year, Roding Valley is the least-used station on the entire Underground network. Roding Valley is an area of Buckhurst Hill and was a new name created for the station - named after the nearby river. The floodplain of the river has effectively stopped the eastward expansion of housing.

The tracks through Roding Valley were opened on 1 May 1903 by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) on its Woodford to Ilford line (the Fairlop Loop). The station was not opened until 3 February 1936 by the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER, successor to the GER). It was originally named "Roding Valley Halt" and was opened to serve new housing developments between Buckhurst Hill and Woodford. The track rises towards Chigwell and crosses the Roding over an impressive viaduct.

As part of the 1935–1940 "New Works Programme" of the London Passenger Transport Board the majority of the Woodford to Ilford loop was to be transferred to form the eastern extensions of the Central line. Although work started in 1938 it was suspended at the outbreak of the Second Wo...
»more


AUGUST
18
2018

 

Ashton Playing Fields
Ashton Playing Fields are located on Woodford Green in Redbridge. Much land has been set aside in Woodford for recreational purposes. The Ashton playing fields at Woodford Bridge cover 50 acres with the facilities for athletics, cricket, football, and tennis being originally administered by a trust.

The facility, lying beside the M11, has four 11 a side grass and astroturf football pitches. The athletic facilities at Ashton Playing Fields include an eight lane running track along with a competition specification hammer, two long jump/triple jump pits and javelin and shot put areas. There are also high jump and pole vault facilities.

The athletics track and field facilities are used regularly by Woodford Green with Essex Ladies Athletic Club.
»read full article


AUGUST
17
2018

 

St Mary’s Churchyard
St Mary’s Churchyard is also known as ’Hendon Churchyard’. The churchyard is important archaeologically, as Roman artifacts have been found on the site and there is evidence of Anglo-Saxon settlement.

A church may have existed on the site as early as the ninth century, and there is an eleventh-century font still in use in the existing building. Parts of it date back to the thirteenth century, but there were successive alterations until it was extended in 1914-15.

The churchyard has many tombs and memorials, and there are cedar and yew trees. A line of headstones on either side of the path lead to the church door, and they form part of the best collection of eighteenth century headstones in London. Burials go back seven to eight hundred years, and as a result the soil contains fragments of bone. Part of it is gravelled, which is unusual in Christian graveyards.

The earliest surviving grave is that of Thomas Marsh dated 1624. Fine monuments include the grave of the engraver Abraham Raimbach, the ph...
»more


AUGUST
16
2018

 

Goodhall Street, NW10
Goodhall Street is part of the Old Oak Lane Estate. Goodhall Street is part of some rows of cottages had been built in 1889 by the LNWR for its employees in nearby Willesden Junction. Originally, the whole estate was simply called Railway Cottages. The London and Northwestern Railway, (LNWR) was the largest railway company in the country at the time.

Between 1915 and 1935, a new pub, The Fisherman’s Arms, appears to have replaced three houses on Old Oak Lane to serve the estate.

Late 19th century public health legislation had brought about general improvements in housing. Nevertheless the uniform rows of Old Oak made a fairly hard edged environment. Although there are subtle variations of facing brick and detail from one terrace to another, the overall impression is one of uniformity.
»read full article


AUGUST
15
2018

 

Spaniards End, NW3
Spaniards End lies behind the eponymous inn. By the end of the 1600s houses can be found around a pond on North End Way - these formed a village called North End. By 1710 there were 10 people paying 19 quit rents for 18 houses and cottages, and nearly three acres, almost all taken from the heath, at ’over the heath or North End’.

Two of the 18 houses were recently built cottages at ’Parkgate’, later called Spaniard’s End. The only other building in the area was Mother Huff’s, an inn later called the Shakespeare’s Head, fronting Spaniard’s Road. The house, where Mother Huff claimed in 1728 to have been for 50 years, was recorded in 1680 and may have been the New inn marked on the road through Cane Wood (Kenwood) to Highgate c. 1672.

The name Spaniard’s End was only gradually applied in connection with the nearby inn. Only by the end of the nineteenth century was it named on maps as such.

In Spaniard’s End, Heath End House was...
»more


AUGUST
14
2018

 

Battersea Bridge Road, SW11
The laying out of Battersea Bridge Road took place in several phases between the 1770s and 1850s. The laying out of Battersea Bridge Road took place in several phases between the 1770s and 1850s, the final southern stretch being the work of the Battersea Park Commissioners.

The Battersea Park area was formerly the heartland of Battersea Fields. It was intensively cultivated for strip farming and market gardens but thinly inhabited, as the land was low-lying and prone to flooding. Before Battersea Bridge was built in 1771–2, it contained only a scatter of houses and cottages, reached along lanes or tracks, and a few riverside hostelries such as the Red House towards Nine Elms.

The main east–west rights of way through the Fields included (from north to south): River Wall Road, now partly represented by the line of Parkgate Road; Marsh Lane, of which a stub survives as Ethelburga Street; and Surrey Lane, the main thoroughfare from Battersea village to Nine Elms, still present west of Battersea Bridge Road, but lost further eastwards. Linking these w...
»more


AUGUST
13
2018

 

Abbots Road, HA8
Abbots Road follows a footpath which stretched from Bunns Lane to Orange Hill House. The road was laid out in the late 1920s and became a useful connection to Mill Hill station from the new Burnt Oak estate.
»read full article


AUGUST
12
2018

 

Appleford Road, W10
Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Appleford Road runs from the Earl Derby on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road, across Adair Row and into a dead end.

It contains a school - St Thomas’ Primary and a 1960s block: Appleford House. It is dominated though by the multistory Adair Tower.
»read full article


AUGUST
11
2018

 

Whitefield School
Whitefield School is a secondary school and sixth form. The school was built between 1953-54 on the site of the disused Hendon Metropolitan water treatment works, part of the original Clitterhouse Farm. It was originally a Secondary Modern School and opened in autumn 1954 later than originally intended. This gave pupils transferring from other schools in the then Borough of Hendon and surrounding areas an extra three weeks summer holiday. At the time of opening it had seven 1st year classes of between thirty and forty. Classes 1 and 2 first year had French or German in their curriculum, unusual at the time. Other older pupils transferred in to second, third and fourth year classes.

In 1954 the school grounds extended only as far east as the Clitterhouse Brook, a small tributary of the river Brent. Many years later the grounds extended east beyond the Brook to the boundary with Hendon Way. This area was the overgrown disused site of the settling ponds of the old water treatment works which were transformed into school playing...
»more


AUGUST
10
2018

 

Addington Square, SE5
Addington Square is a Georgian and Regency garden square which was named after Henry Addington, prime minister in the early 19th century. Addington Square is unusually well-preserved, and a conservation area with the houses that make up the east, south and west sides of the square listed Grade II. The north side is newly refurbished tennis courts.

Because three sides of the square back onto Burgess Park and there is no through traffic, it is a peaceful space popular with lunchtime office workers. This controlled access, period buildings and proximity to central London also make it popular with film crews.

The buildings were constructed between the later 18th century and early 19th century. The square is not composed entirely of terraced properties neither are all the buildings of similar height or architectural treatment.

In the 1960s the square was notorious as the base of the Richardson Gang, a south London rival to the Kray twins. They ran a private drinking club from the square, which had “Mad” Frankie Fraser and two dancing bears in residence. According to the gang...
»more


AUGUST
10
2018

 

Watford Junction
Watford Junction was formerly the northernmost station of the Bakerloo Line. The first station in Watford was north of St Albans Road, but Watford Junction opened with the line to St Albans on 5 May 1858. The station was rebuilt in 1909, and was extensively redeveloped in the 1980s.

The Bakerloo Line was extended to Watford Junction in 1917, providing shared services with mainline electric trains which served London Euston and Broad Street stations. However since 1982, the line north of Harrow & Wealdstone station has only been served by what is now the London Overground service from Euston station; this service uses these DC lines for its "all stations" local service.
»read full article


AUGUST
9
2018

 

Watford High Street
Watford High Street station was opened by the Watford and Rickmansworth Railway on 1 October 1862. In 1912 a branch was opened from Watford High Street to Croxley Green. The line came under the ownership of London and North Western Railway which in turn was absorbed into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923.

The Bakerloo Line was extended through this station to Watford Junction in 1917, but in 1982 it was cut back to Harrow & Wealdstone leaving the section north of there served only by British Rail’s Watford DC Line which is now part of the London Overground network.
»read full article


AUGUST
8
2018

 

Abingdon Street, SW1P
Abingdon Street has linked Old Palace Yard and Millbank since at least 1593. At the northern end stood the South Gate of the Palace of Westminster. At the southern end was the ditch which marked the boundary of Thorney Island. Now, Great College Street marks this former boundary.

The street was briefly known as Lindsay Lane but by 1750 was known as Dirty Lane.

Around 1690, a mansion called Lindsay House was situated at the south-west end of the street. This was later the residence of the Earl of Abingdon. When the King came to parliament, the state coach drawn by eight horses used to turn round in the yard of the house.

In 1750, after an Act of Parliament it was widened and renamed Abingdon Street as part of the general approach improvements to the new Westminster Bridge.

From about 1820 Thomas Telford lived at No. 24. where he died in 1834. In 1932 Harold Clunn described one long terrace of shabby Georgian houses, largely inhabited by Members of Parliament.

Only four houses survived t...
»more


AUGUST
6
2018

 

Golborne Road, W10
Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Until the middle of the nineteenth century it was no more than a country footpath crossing the fields of Portobello Farm, but late in the 1860s the road was widened, shops were built and the road was extended over the railway.

It was planted with trees and named Britannia Road. Later the trees were cut down and the street was called Golbourne and later Golborne Road.

By the beginning of the twentieth century, the area was one of the most overcrowded and poverty-stricken in London.

The thoroughfare was extensively bombed during WWII, after which the Victorian-era slums were cleared to make way for the Trellick and the Swinbrook and Wornington estates, which housed immigrant arrivals from the Caribbean.

Stella McCartney moved into a chapel on Golborne Road next to a curry house in 2002, heralding its arrival as a fashionable destination. Now going the way of upmarket Portobello Road (which intersects it), g...
»more


AUGUST
4
2018

 

Kilburn Priory, NW6
Kilburn Priory is now a road - - it was once the site of a real priory Kilburn Priory itself, which dated from 1134 - the days of Henry I.

The priory was situated where the Westbourne crossed at the present site of the junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road. It had been constructed on the location of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn and was home to the community of Augustinian canonesses.

The priory, was dedicated to the “Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist”, became a renowned resting place for pilgrims stopping by on their way to St Albans. The river supplied the Priory’s moat and provided the inhabitants with water and fish until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 when the building was destroyed.

Priory lands incorporated a mansion and a guesthouse or hostium which may have constituted the basis of the Red Lion pub (believed to have been founded in 1444) and the Bell Inn which opened in about 1600.
»read full article


AUGUST
1
2018

 

Menelik Road, NW2
Menelik Road runs from Westbere Road to Minster Road. In the 1890s, the Powell-Cotton family cashed in on their land holdings which laid to the east of the Edgware Road. Various new roads were named after places in Kent near to Quex House - the Powell-Cotton family seat: Richborough Road (1885), Minster Road (1891), Ebbsfleet Road (1893), Westbere Road (1893), Sarre Road (1896) and Manstone Road (1899).

One of the stalwarts of the family was Major Percy Horace Gordon Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) who travelled widely in Africa. The Major made over 28 expeditions to Africa. Powell-Cotton is noted for bringing an extraordinary number of animal specimens back from his travels across Africa, potentially creating the largest collection of game ever shot by one man. Despite this, Powell-Cotton was an early conservationist, helping categorise a wide number of species across the globe.

In 1900, Powell-Cotton met with Emperor Menelik II, who granted him permission to hunt across Ethiopia. Powell-Cotton’s subsequ...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.