The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51423 -0.21734, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Featured · Notting Dale ·
July
29
2021

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Blechynden Street, W10
Blechynden Street is now a tiny street in the vicinity of Latimer Road station, W10 The stump that remains belies its story as one of the main streets of the area.

Blechynden Street crossed a 50-acre estate that a barrister, James Whitchurch, purchased for £10 an acre in the early 19th century. He left his home in Blechynden in Southampton and built himself a house in Lancaster Road, North Kensington, now situated at No. 133.

Streets were built on the estate in 1846, and the first were named Aldermaston, Silchester, Bramley and Pamber after four neighbouring villages near Basingstoke, which was where James Whitchurch’s daughter Florence Blechynden Whitchurch was living.

After dividing the land into plots, he leased them to builders such as John Calverley, a Notting Hill builder who named a street after himself.

Other developers involved were Joseph Job Martin, the landlord of The Lancaster Tavern in Walmer Road, as well as the developer of Martin Street. Stephen Hurst, a builder from Kentish Town, was r...

»more

JULY
13
2021

 

Eversholt Street, NW1
Eversholt Street connects Euston with Camden Town The origins of Eversholt Street lay in the 1750s when the New Road (later Euston Road) was established to bypass the congestion of London. North of this road were fields, brick works and market gardens. There was an informal path heading south from what later became Camden Town roughly along the line of the later street.

At the end of the 17th century, the Lord Chancellor John Somers acquired the local freehold. The immediate area was, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, known as Fig Mead.

The course of Eversholt Street began in the 1810s as the area developed. It provided a new route from the New Road with Camden Town. The name Eversholt Street was originally given only to its very northern, Bedford Estate part above Cranleigh Street (which was itself formerly Johnson Street). The Eversholt name refers to a village in Bedfordshire, most of the land in the village being owned by the Dukes of Bedford.

Eversholt Street is now ...
»more


JULY
12
2021

 

Balcombe Street, NW1
Balcombe Street is possibly a corruption of Batcombe, Dorset, in line with other Dorset-related street names in the area Balcombe Street, Dorset Square and Gloucester Place all date from 1815-1820. Balcombe Street was at first known as Milton Street.

The streets formed part of the Portman Estate. Their layout shows a social hierarchy of square, thoroughfares and side streets mirrored by a hierarchy in the design of houses, from the grand four storey buildings in Dorset Square to the rather less grand terraces and smaller houses in Balcombe Street and Gloucester Place and the significantly smaller scale of the three and two storey ‘third rate’ houses in the side streets and mews.

There are some 180 grade II buildings including the whole of Dorset Square, most of Balcombe Street and Gloucester Place. The predominant materials are brick and stucco.

The London part of the Portman Estate in Marylebone covers 110 acres and covers 68 streets, 650 buildings and four garden squares. In 1948 the Estate, then valued at £10 million, was subject to death duties of ...
»more


JULY
11
2021

 

Oslo Court, NW8
Oslo Court was built between 1936 and 1938 by architect Robert Atkinson Oslo Court was built over the final remaining 30 workmen’s cottages in the St John’s Wood area. These were demolished in 1936, after which the gentrification of NW8 was more or less complete (Lisson Grove notwithstanding).

The block consists of seven floors containing 125 flats, 112 of which have a direct view over Regent’s Park.

This work of Robert Atkinson has been described as the style of ’restrained modernism’ by englishbuildings.blogspot.com. Crittall windows are used and there are small sculptural panels, with Nordic themes such as a reindeer and a long boat. Each flat was designed with a living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and a small hall. Each also had a balcony, and a restaurant was provided on the ground floor for the use of tenants. The rents varied from £140 to £250 per annum, according to the outward aspect of the view.

Many blocks in the area had restaurants in days gone by but have, one by one, disappeared. ...
»more


JULY
10
2021

 

Waldegrave Road, TW11
Waldegrave Road is named after Frances Waldegrave and was the birthplace of Sir Noël Coward Waldegrave Road was named after Frances Waldegrave, the widow of the 7th Earl Waldegrave who lived at Strawberry Hill House, situated on the road in the 19th century.

The road is split into two sections - a Teddington (TW11) part and a Twickenham (TW1) section. The Teddington part of Waldegrave Road is noted for late Victorian semi-detached villas.

This road, connecting Teddington with Strawberry Hill, was at first known as Fry’s Lane. In the early nineteenth century it became Factory Lane after Alexander Barclay built a wax manufacturing factory in 1800. After the death of Frances, Lady Waldegrave, in 1879, the name changed to its modern form.

Following enclosure at the beginning of the nineteenth century, a large pond covered the south west part of the road at the centre of Teddington. In 1863, a new railway track was built through the site of the pond. A road bridge was constructed to reunite the two parts of Teddington that had been ...
»more





LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 09:12 GMT   

Dunloe Avenue, N17
I was born in 1951,my grandparents lived at 5 Dunloe Avenue.I had photos of the coronation decorations in the area for 1953.The houses were rented out by Rowleys,their ’workers yard’ was at the top of Dunloe Avenue.The house was fairly big 3 bedroom with bath and toilet upstairs,and kitchenette downstairs -a fairly big garden.My Grandmother died 1980 and the house was taken back to be rented again

Reply
Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 08:59 GMT   

Spigurnell Road, N17
I was born and lived in Spigurnell Road no 32 from 1951.My father George lived in Spigurnell Road from 1930’s.When he died in’76 we moved to number 3 until I got married in 1982 and moved to Edmonton.Spigurnell Road was a great place to live.Number 32 was 2 up 2 down toilet out the back council house in those days

Reply
Comment
Lewis   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 20:48 GMT   

Ploy
Allotment

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply
Lived here
David James Bloomfield   
Added: 13 Jul 2021 11:54 GMT   

Hurstway Street, W10
Jimmy Bloomfield who played for Arsenal in the 1950s was brought up on this street. He was a QPR supporter as a child, as many locals would be at the time, as a teen he was rejected by them as being too small. They’d made a mistake

Reply

SEPTEMBER
30
2018

 

Alfred Mews, WC1E
Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent. It was built at the same time as Alfred Place and North Crescent, for which it would be the Mews.

It was named after Alfred Waddilove, son of John who built the street.

Odell’s Livery Stables was here by 1819 and in 1841 its occupants were those of a typical mews: carman, wheelwright, carpenter, coach and harness maker, livery stables.

By 1901 the prestigious furniture makers Hewetson, Milner & Thexton, Ltd. was in the Mews. They resisted the estate’s attempts to extend Alfred Place through their property but eventually were forced to move to premises at 209–212 Tottenham Court Road at a much higher rent, going bankrupt shortly afterwards in 1907.

The Mews buildings were all demolished and replaced by twentieth-century non-residential buildings and it is now mainly a service entrance for Heal’s.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
29
2018

 

Argyle Square, WC1H
Argyle Square is one of the streets of the Battle Bridge Estate. Argyle Square is situated between St. Chad’s Street (formerly Derby Street) and Argyle Street (formerly Manchester Street) which bounds the estate on the south.

The Battle Bridge field originally laid both sides of Gray’s Inn Road, sharing its name with the name usually applied to this part of London prior to the erection here of the memorial to King George IV in 1830, when the area became known as King’s Cross.

The development of the New Road (Euston Road) in the middle of the eighteenth century cut across the 18-acre part of the field west of Gray’s Inn Road, leaving most of it south of the new road.

This field was owned by a William Brock in 1800 and continued to be used for gardens and meadows.

In the early 1820s, when a remaining 16½ acres was purchased by Thomas Dunstan, William Robinson, and William Flanders. 15¼ acres were south of Euston Road and the remainder on the north side was eventually sold to b...
»more


SEPTEMBER
28
2018

 

Belgrove Street, WC1H
Belgrove Street, formerly Belgrave Street, leads south from Euston Road. Building was begun at the Euston Road end in 1834, when the first four houses were entered in the local rate book as due for rating. By 1839 there were seventeen houses. Daw’s map of 1868 (on which it is still spelled "Belgrave Street") indicates that this was its full complement, much of its length being absorbed by the back and front gardens of Hamilton Place (as the large houses facing the Euston Road were then called).

Of the original houses only Nos. 1 to 8 on the west side remain.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
27
2018

 

Grafton Way, WC1E
Grafton Way was formerly Grafton Street. Grafton Way runs east from Cleveland Street and crosses Whitfield Street and Tottenham Court Road to Gower Street. The part west of Tottenham Court Road was the first to be built in 1777, The eastern section was formerly known as Grafton Street and that west of the square as Upper Grafton Street. The section between Tottenham Court Road and Gower Street was a later development and was known as Grafton Street East.

58 Grafton Way (formerly 27 Grafton Street) was occupied by General Francisco de Miranda from 1803 to 1810, when he returned to Venezuela to lead the rebellion against the Spanish government.

»read full article


SEPTEMBER
26
2018

 

St James the Less
St James the Less is an Anglican church built by George Edmund Street in the Gothic Revival style. St James the Less was built in 1858–61. A grade I listed building, it has been described as "one of the finest Gothic Revival churches anywhere". The church was constructed predominately in brick with embellishments from other types of stone. Its most prominent external feature is its free-standing Italian-style tower, while its interior incorporates design themes which Street observed in medieval Gothic buildings in continental Europe.

St James the Less is now embedded in the centre of the Lillington Gardens estate, which was built around the church in three phases between 1964–72. The estate replaced a 12-acre area of dilapidated stucco-fronted houses with a dense low-rise series of residential buildings, constructed with dark red brick cladding interspersed with concrete bands.

The designers, Darbourne & Darke, set out specifically to complement the church and to avoid the use of precast concrete cladding, contemporary at the time, because they fe...
»more


SEPTEMBER
25
2018

 

Ashley Lane, NW4
Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve. The lane is first mentioned by name in 1594 but it appears to have been part of an important medieval road. Cardinal Wolsey travelled along it on his final journey to York in 1530. The southern part is a made-up road of housing. Crossing north over the A1, it finally becomes a bridleway which runs between Hendon Golf Course and Hendon Cemetery. The lane is the continuation of the route to Oakhampton Road.

The northern section is a one hectare Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation, Grade II. The lane has retained its ancient hedgerows, which have developed into narrow belts of woodland. The main trees are Pedunculate oak and ash, together with some wild service-trees, and the hedge bottom flora include ramsons and bluebells.

A small stream, a tributary of Dollis Brook, crosses the lane.


»read full article


SEPTEMBER
24
2018

 

Ashurst Road, N12
Ashurst Road was built by the British Land Company. West of Friern Barnet Lane and north of Woodhouse Road the White House estate of 55 acres of Frederick Crisp was acquired in 1908 by the British Land Co.

By 1911 Ashurst Road, Petworth Road, Bramber Road, Warnham Road and Buxted Road had been laid out between Woodhouse Road and Friern Park and the first two had been built up.

Lewes Road was later inserted and Horsham Road was constructed across the grounds of Brook House.


»read full article


SEPTEMBER
22
2018

 

Dollis Farm
Dollis Farm was on the west side of Holders Hill Road near the junction which is now Holders Hill Circus. Two roads ran north of Hendon, Ashley Lane (which now runs through the back of Hendon Golf Course) and Holders Hill Road. Much of the land was held by All Souls College in 1597.

Dollis Farm was situated close to where Holders Circus is today on the western side of Holders Hill Road. Jeremy Bentham used the farm as a retreat and rented rooms there from 1788 onwards.

The farm existed until the death of the last farmer, Thomas Whiting, in 1930.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
21
2018

 

Garston
Garston is a suburb of Watford in Hertfordshire, located between the North Orbital Road (A405) and Watford’s border with Three Rivers. In an undated charter, probably of the thirteenth century, Nicholas son of John de Garston gave to John de Westwick and Ellen his wife a messuage and land at Garston. By the middle of the fifteenth century it had come into the possession of William Halle of Shillington, ’a good and benevolent man’.

During the 1850s, a number of properties were constructed around the junction between Horseshoe Lane and Cart Path, including the Church of All Saints, which dates from 1853. By the end of the nineteenth century, the settlement at Garston included the Church, an infant school, post office and the Three Horseshoes Public House.

In the later nineteenth and early twentieth centuries further piecemeal development occurred on Horseshoe Lane and Cart Path. As Watford expanded northwards during the mid to late twentieth century, the existing settlement was partially subsumed within the newly constructed suburban housing estates.

The Building Researc...
»more


SEPTEMBER
20
2018

 

Arkley Windmill
Barnet Gate Mill or Arkley Windmill is a grade II* listed tower mill at Barnet Gate. Barnet Gate Mill was built in 1823. A claim that it was built during the Napoleonic Wars (c.1800) has not been substantiated. Although steam had been added in 1895, it was working by wind until 1918, latterly on two sails. The mill was restored in 1930. A new cap, fantail and gallery around the cap being made. The work was done by Thomas Hunt, the Soham millwright. In a further restoration in 1985, the missing pair of sails was replaced.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
18
2018

 

Admiral Duncan
The Admiral Duncan is well-known as one of Soho’s oldest gay pubs. It is named after Admiral Adam Duncan, who defeated the Dutch fleet at the Battle of Camperdown in 1797.

The Admiral Duncan has been trading since at least 1832. In June of that year, Dennis Collins, a wooden-legged, Irish ex-sailor living there was charged with high treason for throwing stones at King William IV at Ascot Racecourse. Collins was convicted and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, as the medieval punishment for high treason was then still in effect. However, his sentence was quickly commuted to life imprisonment. and he was subsequently transported to Australia. In December 1881, a customer received eight years penal servitude for various offences in connection with his ejection from the Admiral Duncan public house by keeper William Gordon.

On the evening of 30 April 1999, the Admiral Duncan was the scene of a nail bomb explosion which killed three people and wounded around 70. The bomb was the third to be planted in a one-man camp...
»more


SEPTEMBER
17
2018

 

Coathouse Farm
Coathouse Farm was the seat of the Peacock family. Coathouse - also known as Courthouse and Court House) - was situated at the north-west corner of Nether Street. It was assessed with fourteen hearths in 1664.

The farm house was partly demolished in 1927 and completly by 1936. The buildings were used by the Sandwell Ladies College.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
16
2018

 

Penge
The Black Boy public house stood on the Mile End Road. This pub was present by 1750; in 1856, listed as 9½ Mile End Road but at 179 Mile End Road in 1910. It was re-built in its present form in 1904 at the time of the construction of Stepney Green Station. The pub closed in c.1996 and the building now houses two fast food outlets (2006). It also traded as the Farmers Arms in the 1940s and as Fifth Avenue in its final years.

From 137 Mile End Road to the Black Boy Tavern, the houses are all pulled down in 1902 for the construction of the Whitechapel & Bow Railway.

Until 1902, the pub had an alleyway connecting it to the mysterious XX Place.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
15
2018

 

Deepdale Close, N11
Deepdale Close forms part of the Halliwick Park estate built by Barratts. When laid out, there were 11 houses in Deepdale Close.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
14
2018

 

Hampstead Garden Suburb
Hampstead Garden Suburb is a suburb, north of Hampstead, west of Highgate, and east of Golders Green. It is an example of early twentieth-century domestic architecture and town planning located in the London Borough of Barnet in northwest London. The master plan was prepared by Barry Parker and Sir Raymond Unwin.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
13
2018

 

Yeading
Yeading was one of the final suburbs to develop in westernmost London. The first land grant including Yeading was made by Offa in 790 to Æthelhard, Archbishop of Canterbury: in the place called on linga Haese [Hayes] and Geddinges [Yeading] around the stream called Fiscesburna (Crane or Yeading Brook).

Anglo-Saxon settlement in Yeading therefore seems probable, but the history of Yeading in subsequent centuries is not as clear as that of Hayes. Such details as the names of many Yeading manor holders remain unknown.

Yeading Dock was one of many docks built along the Grand Union Canal in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The main industry in Hayes and Yeading at this time was brickmaking, and the canal provided a reliable way of transporting larger numbers of bricks. Yeading’s brickworkers could be known to keep pigs as a second source of income. A bourgeois writer, one Elizabeth Hunt, wrote in 1861 that in Yeading dirt, ignorance and darkness reign supreme. In 1874, however, one James Thorne wrote that t...
»more


SEPTEMBER
12
2018

 

The Angel
The Angel Public House is grade II listed and dates from the 1830s. The building potentially includes material from a 17th century building formerly occupying the site. The Angel name has been recorded since that date.

In the 15th century an inn and rest house for travellers called The Salutation was kept at or near this site by monks from Bermondsey Priory. In 1682 The Angel was in a position diagonally opposite its present site, and was referred to by the famous diarist Samuel Pepys as "the famous Angel." The former Redriffe stairs used to be located immediately to its west.

By the 19th century, The Angel marked the commencement of a continuous built-up river frontage running to the east. Gaps in the frontage are evident providing access to the river via stairs.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
11
2018

 

Albemarle Street, W1S
Albemarle Street takes its name from the second Duke of Albermarle, son of General Monk. Albemarle Street and the surrounding area was built by a syndicate of developers.

In 1684, the syndicate had purchased and demolished a Piccadilly mansion called Clarendon House from Christopher Monck, the near-bankrupt 2nd Duke of Albemarle. It was sold for £20,000, some 20% less than the duke had paid for it nine years before. Clarendon House backed onto fields and on them, the syndicate also built Old Bond Street, Dover Street and Stafford Street.

Albemarle Street has associations with Lord Byron and Oscar Wilde.

The Royal Institution was established at 21 Albemarle Street in 1799. Because of the Institution’s popularity through its scientific lectures, Albemarle Street became London’s first one-way street to avoid the traffic problems which had attended a series of lectures by Humphry Davy.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
9
2018

 

Alma Grove, SE1
Alma Grove was formerly Alma Road, and before that Tenter Ground Lane. A map from 1850-51 confirms that at this time the local area remained largely undeveloped with the exception of Alma Grove (then Tenter Ground Lane) and Southwark Park Road (then Blue Anchor Road).

The name Alma Grove records both the date of its development and famous military victories of the Crimean War still fresh in the public’s mind at that time.


»read full article


SEPTEMBER
9
2018

 

Bushey
Bushey is a town in the Hertsmere borough of Hertfordshire. The first written record of Bushey is an account in the Domesday Book, which describes a small agricultural village named ’Bissei’. Chance archaeological findings of Stone Age tools are evidence that the area was inhabited as far back as the Palaeolithic period. The town also has links to the Roman occupation of Britain - a Roman tessellated pavement was discovered near to Chiltern Avenue.

Bushey’s population rose from 856 in 1801, to just under 24 000 in the twenty first century. There was an industrial boom caused by the arrival of the railway. Many new jobs were created in and around Watford, and the first council houses were built in Bushey in the early 1920s. The expansion eventually died down when much of the land in and around Bushey was protected under the green belt scheme after the Second World War.

Hubert Herkomer, a poor immigrant from Bavaria arrived in Bushey in 1874, and fell in love with the village. He rented a pair of cottages an...
»more


SEPTEMBER
7
2018

 

Great Windmill Street, W1F
Great Windmill Street has had a long association with music and entertainment, most notably the Windmill Theatre. The street took its name from a windmill on the site which was recorded 1585 and demolished during the 1690s. In a parliamentary survey of 1658 the mill was described as "well fitted with Staves and other materials".

The area was developed around 1665 but the building was speculative and of poor quality; this led to a royal proclamation in 1671 that prohibited unlicensed development in "Windmill Fields, Dog Fields and Soho". Later that year, Thomas Panton, one of the original speculators, was granted a licence to continue his scheme with the condition that it was supervised and directed by Sir Christopher Wren who was the Surveyor General of the King’s Works. By 1682, maps show that both sides of the street were developed along their whole length.

In 1767 the Scottish anatomist and physician William Hunter FRS built a large house at number 16 after demolishing an earlier large dwelling. Hunter’s house incorporated a large library, a museum and an anat...
»more


SEPTEMBER
6
2018

 

Eynsham Drive, SE2
Eynsham Drive dates from the late 1950s with the construction of the Abbey Wood Estate. A parade of shops was constructed in 1966 with Abbey Wood Library helping to form a focus for the new estate.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
5
2018

 

Albany Street, NW1
Albany Street runs from Marylebone Road to Gloucester Gate following the east side of Regent’s Park. The street was laid out during the 1820s, and takes its name from Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, the younger brother of King George IV.

The freeholds of the west side of the street are owned by the Crown Estate, as part of Regent’s Park. The southern part of the east side of the street is part of the Regent’s Park Estate.

The building numbering system has odd numbers on the west side, and even numbers on the east. At the Marylebone Road end is the Holy Trinity Church. Next is "The White House", formerly a set of luxury flats, and now a hotel renamed "The Melia White House". Both stand on traffic islands to themselves. Numbers 31 and 33 are Grade I listed buildings, designed by John Nash. Between 35 and 55 there is an inserted street. This area was occupied by a huge construction called "The Colosseum" designed by Decimus Burton. It was demolished in 1875, and replaced by houses called "Colosseum Terrace" in 1878.

At...
»more


SEPTEMBER
2
2018

 

Adler Street, E1
Adler Street runs between the Whitechapel Road and the Commercial Road. The street was named after Nathan Marcus Adler, Chief Rabbi of Great Britain 1845–1890. Originally it was called Union Street.
»read full article


SEPTEMBER
1
2018

 

Abingdon Road, N3
Abingdon Road runs north east from Long Lane, roughly parallel with the North Circular Road. Now a development of typical Finchley suburbia, Abingdon Road was laid out in a narrow field backed by a footpath which ran from Bow Lane to Tarling Road past a gravel pit in Victorian times.

Tudor Primary School, now at the end of the road, was built between Abingdon Road and the footpath, cutting it off.
»read full article


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.