The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.
In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.
You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.
As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.
You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.
Latest on The Underground Map...
The Queen’s Theatre is located in Shaftesbury Avenue on the corner of Wardour Street. The original plan was to name this venue ’The Central Theatre’. After a lengthy debate involving the owners, it was named The Queen’s Theatre and a portrait of Queen Alexandra was hung in the foyer.
It opened on 8 October 1907 on the corner of Shafter\sbury Avenue as a twin to the neighbouring Hicks Theatre (now the Gielgud Theatre) which had opened ten months earlier. Both theatres were designed by WGR Sprague.
In September 1940, a German bomb landed directly on the Queen’s Theatre, destroying the façade and lobby. The production at the time was Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca
starring Celia Johnson, Owen Nares and Margaret Rutherford. The theatre remained closed until a ₤250,000 restoration was completed by Westwood Sons & Partners almost 20 years later. The auditorium retained its Edwardian décor while the lobbies and exterior were rebuilt in a modern style. The reconstructed theatre opened on 8 July 1959 with John Gielgud’s ...»more
Heath House is a Grade II* listed historic mansion on Hampstead Heath From 1790 Heath House was the London seat of banker and philanthropist Sir Samuel Hoare. It remained in his family until the house was badly damaged in the Second World War and was sold. The branch of the Hoare family at the house were Quakers and played a significant part in philanthropy and public life. Several members of the family were also members of Parliament, including Sir Samuel Hoare, 1st Baronet who held the Norwich seat, his son Sir Samuel Hoare (Viscount Templewood) who was Foreign Secretary and Home Secretary. Edward Brodie Hoare was MP for Hampstead.
The house has been associated with Elizabeth Fry (who married into the family) and William Wilberforce with whom the Hoare family fought for abolition of slavery.
After the Second World War, after a number of years of dereliction, Heath House was bought by Donald Forrester who undertook a major renovation on the building and the grounds. It then became a Forrester family home for several years....
Lant Street, SE1
Lant Street derives its name from the Lant family who inherited the estates known as Southwark Olace The area around Lant Street was once known as The Mint. It was a slum area until as late as the 19th century but also a ’liberty’ with privileges for debtors until The Mint in Southwark Act (1722) removed these rights.
Much earlier, Suffolk House to the north had been the residence of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. It was exchanged by Henry VIII, the king giving the Duke of Suffolk in return the house of the Bishop of Norwich in St Martin’s-in-the-Fields. Suffolk House then took the name of Southwark Place and a mint was established here for the king’s use.
Later, Queen Mary I gave the mansion to Nicholas Heath, Archbishop of York. Archbishop Heath sold the premises, which were partly pulled down and many small cottages being built on the site. This estate devolved to the Lant family and Queen Anne empowered Thomas Lant to let leases for 51 years. In 1773 it was advertised to be let as seventeen acres, on which were 400 houses, with a r...
Eastcheap is the western continuation of Great Tower Street towards the Monument junction Eastcheap takes its name from cheap, the Old English word for market. There was a Westcheap - another former market street - that today is called Cheapside.
The Eastcheap name first appeared on an Anglo-Saxon penny of King Harold I’s reign. The penny was minted in London between 1035 and 1037 and the mint signature on the coin reads EADǷOLD ONESTCEPLV (’Eadwold on East Cheap’). This is the earliest known instance of a street-name on Anglo-Saxon coinage.
During the medieval period, Eastcheap was the main meat market in the City of London, with butchers’ stalls lining both sides of the street. The current section of the street was known as Little Eastcheap.
The street formerly extended further to the west, where it was called Great Eastcheap, but this section disappeared when King William Street was built in the early 19th century. Eastcheap was the location of Falstaff’s Boar’s Head Inn, featured in ...
Maida Vale, W9
Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London and ultimately takes its name from a pub The whole area of Maida Vale belonged to the Bishop of London in 1647, when a Mrs Wheatley was tenant of a wood and of 44 acres of pasture in five closes, which lay between the high road and the Westbourne stream - this was probably the forerunner of Kilburn Bridge Farm. In 1742, when Richard Marsh was tenant, the farmhouse and its yards stood by the road close to the stream, with around 39 acres in six closes to the south and west. Kilburn Bridge Farm was worth £230 a year in 1795.
Further south, Paddington Wood and some fields of Manor House Farm abutted the Edgware Road, with fields of Parsonage Farm to the west. There were no other buildings in 1790.
Building was made possible by the Act of 1795 but for the northern part of the Bishop’s estate, the first agreements occurred in 1807.
Plots existed along Edgware Road, in Hill Field and Pond Field and as far north as Paddington Wood. Builders Francis Humbert of Marylebone and Abraham C...