The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53106 -0.21449, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Featured · Queens Park Estate ·
JUNE
21
2021

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Oliphant Street, W10
Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme. The Manor and Parish of Chelsea owned an enclave - covering Kensal Town and Queen’s Park - until 1901 when it was divided between Kensington and Paddington. Kensal Town went to the former and the other side of the Harrow Road to the latter.

The north section was developed in 1875 by the Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company, who were the landlords until 1964. The north-south streets of their grid were numbered 1-6 and euphemistically entitled ’avenues’ : First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Avenues. The remaining streets were simply labelled A Street through to O Street.

Eight years later it was decided that even artisans and labourers deserved a little better. A became Alperton, after the Company’s brickyard in Middlesex, and was followed by Barfett, Caird, Droop (after H R. Droop, Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company Director 1877-1883), Enbrook, Farrant (Sir Richard Farrant, Director 1877-1906), Galton (probably i...

»more

JUNE
6
2021

 

Turk’s Head
The Turk’s Head was one of two Wapping pubs of the same name It was situated beside Union Stairs and had the grim task assigned to it of briefly hosting prisoners on their journey to Execution Dock. They would be allowed one quart of ale before departure.

Its address was 30 Wapping High Street (at number 326 on the same street before Victorian renumbering).

Its rather un-PC name derives from many such names coined during the Crusades. Any pub called ‘The Turk’s Head’ or ‘The Saracen’s Head’ is a reference to that period.

It had a dining room by 1940 but the pub was destroyed in the Blitz.
»read full article


JUNE
5
2021

 

Abbotsbury Road, W14
Abbotsbury Road runs between Melbury Road and the road known as Holland Park Abbotsbury Road takes its name from one of the Dorset estates of the Earl of Ilchester. It is exclusively residential.

It is a wide tree-lined street and most houses have off street parking – some with their own garages. The road has humps in it to slow down the traffic. Traffic can go both ways. The south end is very close to the shops in Kensington High Street, and the north end to the shops in Holland Park Avenue. Holland Park itself is next to the road.

Work began in the early years of the 20th century, but only Nos. 3-9 odd, and 8-10 and 24-28 (even) were built before the Second World War.

During the 1960s houses and blocks were built on the west side of Abbotsbury Road. These include Abbotsbury House, a 10-storey block of flats, and Abbotsbury Close, a series of small crescents with houses and landscaped gardens, designed by Stone Toms and Partners and built by Wates Builders.

The brick houses are fairly uniform in...
»more


JUNE
4
2021

 

Victoria Embankment, EC4Y
Victoria Embankment is part of the Thames Embankment scheme of 19th-century civil engineering that reclaimed land next to the River Thames The Victoria Embankment was primarily designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette with architectural work on the embankment wall and river stairs by Charles Henry Driver. Started in 1862, it incorporates the main low level interceptor sewer and the underground District Line over which a wide road and riverside walkway were built. In total, Bazalgette’s scheme reclaimed 22 acres of land from the river. It prevented flooding, such as around what had been the remnants of Thorney Island (Westminster).

Much of the granite used in the projects was brought from Lamorna Cove in Cornwall.

The named named Victoria Embankment runs from the Houses of Parliament to Blackfriars Bridge. It incorporates gardens and open space collectively known as the Embankment Gardens.

Some parts of the Embankment were rebuilt in the 20th century due to wartime bomb damage or natural disasters such as the 1928 Thames flood.
»read full article


JUNE
3
2021

 

Carmelite Street, EC4Y
Carmelite Street continues south from Whitefriars Street, which itself is just off Fleet Street Carmelite Street is a very narrow road and runs down a slope to its south end, where it meets the Victoria Embankment. Named in 1901, it commemorates the old foundation of the Carmelite or Whitefriars monastery here. Before 1901, it had been an extension of Whitefriars Street but was wharfland until the 1860s.

The street seems to have begun as an alley to serve ship berthings which by the 1860s had been repurposed to lead to the new Sir Joseph Bazalgette-designed Embankment.

The buildings which now stand on Carmelite Street were mostly constructed after the Second World War. There are also some very old buildings such as The Harrow, a public house said to have been frequented by Evening News reporters.

Founded by a City merchant, William Ward, in 1881, the City of London School for Girls opened in Carmelite Street in 1894 at a time when there was so little faith in academic education for girls that the building was designed so that it cou...
»more





LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply
Lived here
Norman Norrington   
Added: 8 Jun 2021 08:08 GMT   

Blechynden Street, W10
Lived here #40 1942-1967

Reply
Comment
Brenda Newton   
Added: 5 Jun 2021 07:17 GMT   

Hewer Street W10
John Nodes Undertakers Hewer Street W10

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 2 Jun 2021 16:58 GMT   

Parachute bomb 1941
Charles Thomas Bailey of 82 Morley Road was killed by the parachute bomb March 1941

Reply

   
Added: 1 Jun 2021 12:41 GMT   

Abbeville Road (1940 street directory)
North west side
1A Clarke A S Ltd, motor engineers
15 Plumbers, Glaziers & Domestic Engineers Union
25 Dixey Edward, florist
27 Vicary Miss Doris J, newsagent
29 Stenning John Andrew, dining rooms
31 Clarke & Williams, builders
33 Hill Mrs Theodora, confectioner
35 Golding W & sons, corn dealers
... here is Shandon road ...
37 Pennington Mrs Eliz Harvie, wine & spirit merchant
39 Westminster Catering Co Ltd, ham, beef & tongue dealers
41 Masters A (Clapham) Ltd, butchers
43 Thomas Euan Ltd, grocers
45 Garrett C T & Co Ltd, undertakers
47 Mayle T & Sons, fishmongers
49 Mayles Ltd, fruiterers
51 & 73 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
53 United Dairies (London) Ltd
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
55 Norris William Lennox, baker
57 Silver Star Laundry Ltd
59 Thorp John, oilman
61 Bidgood Leonard George, boot makers
63 Wilkie Rt Miln, chemist
65 Gander George Albert Isaac, hairdresser
67 Harris Alfred William, greengrocer
69 & 71 Lambert Ernest & Son Ltd, grocers
... here is Hambolt road ...
73 & 51 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
75 Cambourn Frederick, butcher
77 Siggers Clement, chemist
77 Post, Money Order, Telephone Call & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank
79 Hemmings William, baker
... here is Elms road ...
85 Cornish Joseph
91 Bedding Mrs
151 Johnson Mrs H K
157 Robinson Albert Ernest, grainer
173 Yardleys London & Provincial Stores Ltd, wine & spirit merchants
175 Clark Alfred, butcher
175A Morley Douglas Frederick, confectioner
... here is Crescent lane ...
... her is St Alphonsus road ...

South east side
... here is Trouville road ...
4 Bossy Miss, private school
... here are Bonneville gardens ...
24 Osborn Charles Edward, ladies hairdresser
24 Hall H Ltd, builders
24A Walton Lodge Laundry Ltd
... here are Shandon road & Abbeville mansions ...
28 Copley Fred Smith, chemist
30 Finch H G Ltd, laundry
32 Carter William Alfred, furniture dealer
34 Spriggs Charles & Co, wireless supplies dealer
36 Miles Frederick William, confectioner
38 Pitman Frederick, hairdresser
40 Rowe Frederick F, valeting service
42 Modridge Edward J, oilman
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
44 Southorn Albert, butcher
46 Brown Ernest, fruiterer
48 Stanley Mrs A A, confectioner
50 Fryatt Owen, delixatessen store
52 Benbrooks, domestic stores
54 Davis William Clifford, boot repairer
56 Blogg Alfred, newsagent
58 Rowlands Thomas & Sons, dairy
... here are Hambalt, Elms, Franconia, Caldervale & Leppoc roads ...
124 Clarke Frederick, decorator
... here are Crescent lane, Briarwood road & Park hill ...

Reply
Comment
Boo Horton    
Added: 31 May 2021 13:39 GMT   

Angel & Trumpet, Stepney Green
The Angel & Trumpet Public House in Stepney Green was run by my ancestors in the 1930’s. Unfortunately, it was a victim on WWII and was badly damaged and subsequently demolished. I have one photograph that I believe to bethe pub, but it doesn’t show much more that my Great Aunt cleaning the steps.

Reply
Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply

MAY
31
2019

 

Barnehurst Avenue, DA7
Barnehurst Avenue runs north from Merewood Road up to the Erith Road. By 1932 development had started on the ’Mayplace Estate’ which was built by developers W.H. Wedlock Ltd. on fairly difficult terrain for building. The estate was laid out between Erith Road and Barnehurst Avenue and roads took names associated with the Lake District.

A new pub called ’The Red Barn’ was built in 1936 by Arnolds of Chelmsford.

To the east of Barnehurst Avenue, New Ideal Homesteads Ltd began their ’Barnehurst Park Estate’.
»read full article


MAY
30
2019

 

Barnehurst Road, DA7
Barnehurst Road was previously called Hills and Holes Road. The road may date from the 1850s or before as a lane through Conduit Wood.

It was the 1926 electrification of the Bexleyheath line that signalled the start of the large interwar housing developments.

The first builder in the area was J.W. Ellingham and who chose the site next to the station on which to build the ’Barnehurst Estate’. This consisted of 578 semi-detached houses which sold for £600 each with building starting along Barnehurst Road in 1926.

The Midfield shopping parade of shops was finished in 1928. The Barnehurst Estate was completed in the early 1930s.
»read full article


MAY
29
2019

 

Lowder Street (1918)
Lowder Street in Wapping at the end of the First World War. Lowder Street, as imaged from Raymond Street.
»read full article


MAY
28
2019

 

Hackford Road, SW9
Hackford Road is the former home of Vincent van Gogh. Hackford Road stands where there was once open countryside and in historical documents is often referred to as part of Stockwell.

Originally known as St Ann’s Road, Hackford Road is a mixture of housing styles from the 1840s onwards.

In fact the first appearance of building were small houses and shops at the north end of the street in the 1820s.

By the 1880s, cottages on the west side of the street and some on the east side were demolished and the terraces that stand today were erected.

Vincent van Gogh lived at No. 87 in 1873.

Reay Primary School was built in the early 1900s and was originally a school for boys. The school was built on the site of the 1820s shops to the north of the street.
»read full article


MAY
27
2019

 

Altab Ali Park
Altab Ali Park is a small park on Adler Street, White Church Lane and Whitechapel Road. Formerly known as St. Mary’s Park, it is the site of the old 14th-century white church, St. Mary Matfelon, from which the area of Whitechapel gets its name. St Mary’s was bombed during The Blitz - all that remains of the old church is the floor plan and a few graves.

The park was renamed Altab Ali Park in 1998 in memory of Altab Ali, a 25-year-old Bangladeshi Sylheti clothing worker, who was murdered on 4 May 1978 in Adler Street by three teenage boys as he walked home from work.

At the entrance to the park is an arch created by David Petersen, developed as a memorial to Altab Ali and other victims of racist attacks.
»read full article


MAY
25
2019

 

Bondway, SW8
Bondway is named after the late 18th century developers of the street, John and Sarah Bond. Bondway was formerly called Bond Street and runs parallel to the railway viaduct from South Lambeth Place south to Miles Street.

Thomas Hill drew up a map of Vauxhall Manor in 1681 and, on it, most of the property was owned by both John Plumer and William Freeman. Plumer sold some 20 acres to Elias Ashmole in 1686. and Thomas Cooper purchased Freeman’s lands in 1683.

Both estates descended to Cooper’s great grand-daughter Emma Miles. In 1766 she sold them to John Bond, a merchant of Crutched Friars in London and his wife Sarah. They were responsible for the development.

In 1778 they obtained a building Act and let the ground in small plots. The present Bondway, Miles Street, Parry Street and Wyvil Road were laid out to form a residential area. The subsequent arrival of the London and South Western Railway Company have completely altered the character of the neighbourhood.

The buildings here represent one of the last cohe...
»more


MAY
24
2019

 

Cuba Street, E14
Cuba Street was laid out by the Batson family. The West India Docks were built in 1802. Before that, there were only a few paths crossing the Island.

Robert Batson, a local shipbuilder built a rope walk within his works. His son - Robert Batson junior - started to lay out other streets in the 1810s. He named Robert Street after himself although no houses were there in 1818 and it wasn’t fully built until the 1860s.

Because of the proliferation of duplicate street names in London, the 1870s saw the streets on the former Batson estate renamed. The new street names reflected the sources of sugar imports to the West India Docks. Robert Street was renamed Cuba Street. So afterwards, the rope works were replaced by engineering factories.

According to the Survey of London, because of the long-drawn-out building process, Cuba Street, Manilla Street and Tobago Street evolved a ’ragged uniformity’.

Cuba Street had an industrial character, with industry along the north side o...
»more


MAY
23
2019

 

Pigott Street, E14
When the Lansbury Estate was built, Pigott Street was the final part of the plan, hosting a block of flats from 1982. Pigott Street existed before the estate and was named for Francis Pigott Stainsby Conant, whose family owned the original land. The original street dates from 1861.
»read full article


MAY
22
2019

 

Moat Lane, DA8
Moat Lane was formerly part of Whitehall Lane. The 1869-1882 Ordnance Survey showed a large farm called Sladesgreen Farm. In the south west corner of the farm was ’The Corner Pin’ beerhouse - the pub was rebuilt in 1958.

The surrounding area was affectionately known as ’Cabbage Island’ due to the market gardens located between Moat Lane and Slade Green Road (formerly Slade Green Lane).

With the arrival of the railway, Moat Lane and Whitehall Lane became separated from one another by the tracks.
»read full article


MAY
21
2019

 

Talbot Court, EC3V
Talbot Court was next to the Talbot Inn until the Great Fire of London. A ’talbot’ was a long-extinct large breed of hound and a favoured dog for tracking and hunting.

Nevertheless, there is no conclusive evidence to the origin of its name but the Talbot as it stood in Gracechurch Street was one of a whole array of inns and taverns, about ten in all, between here to Threadneedle Street.

Talbot Court is cobbled as it leaves Gracechurch Street through a modern square archway, turning southwards at a right angle to link with Eastcheap.

The Ship public house has now taken over dominance in the Court, a very popular resort on summery evenings when crowds of ale-swilling workers congregate and block the way.
»read full article


MAY
20
2019

 

Meridian Water
Meridian Water station on the Lea Valley Lines in Edmonton opened on 20 May 2019. It is located 580 metres south of Angel Road railway station, which it replaced.

In 2016/17, Angel Road, opened in 1840, was the least-used station in London, with an estimated 33,500 passenger entries/exits.

The London Borough of Enfield announced in 2014 that a new station, being an integral part of the proposed Meridian Water development, would be constructed.

Under the proposals, Angel Road station would close on 19 May 2019 and Meridian Water station opened the following day.
»read full article


MAY
18
2019

 

Bloemfontein Road, W12
Bloemfontein Road is one of the main roads of the White City Estate. In 1908, the site of the future estate was the site of the Franco-British Exhibition. The main roads of the estate are named after imperial possessions featured in the exhibition: Australia Road, Canada Way, India Way and Bloemfontein Road. Once the First World War came along, the exhibition site fell into disuse.

In 1935, the London County Council (LCC) bought the redundant site and planned a 52 acre estate of 2286 flats in 49 five-storey blocks.

23 blocks were completed when the Second World War broke out. In 1953, the estate was completed but with only 35 blocks. The 2011 built homes housed a population of just under 9000.

The White City Estate represented the LCC’s first attempt to apply ideas of slum clearance and comprehensive redevelopment asked for in the 1935 UK Housing Act.
»read full article


MAY
17
2019

 

Woodcock Hill, HA3
Woodcock Hill Lane until the 1920s, the road leads south from the crossroads of Kenton Lane and Kenton Road. WoodcockHill is associated with a farm of that name existing since the mid-17th century as ’Ruff Leas Farm’. The farm buildings were demolished in the late 1950s to be replaced by 60 and 62 The Ridgeway.

Before 1930, two footpaths provided alternative routes to Woodcock Hill Lane. One started from Kenton Grange, crossed open meadows for a mile before ending at a stile in neighbouring Preston. The other turned westwards before reaching the location of Woodcock Dell, and then across fields to Harrow on the Hill - now the route of The Ridgeway and Northwick Avenue.

Fields on the lane were well-stocked with small game and the area was known for poachers. Drag hunting was organised at Christmas and some farmers arranged clay pigeon shoots during seasonal breaks. Clay pigeons were ejected from the top of a wooden tower sited to the south of a position between Kenton Station and Woodcock Hill.

Well into the 1920s, Woodcock Hill continued to ...
»more


MAY
16
2019

 

Vandon Passage, SW1H
Vandon Passage probably dates from the fifteenth century. Cornelius Van Dun, a Dutchman and Yeoman of the Guard to Henry VIII, built a row of almshouses in 1575 for the well being of eight deprived women of the district. Not content with this singular generous deed, he provided the cash for the building of twelve more at St Ermin’s Hill - now around the back of St James’s Park Station.

At the time the almshouses were built, Petty France had already been in existence for about 100 years as a continuation of Tothill Street, the main west road from the Abbey. For those living in the alleys to the south of here, Vandon Passage was a vital link with civilisation, long before the roadway of Buckingham Gate was constructed and when the line of Victoria Street was still a dusty track. Vandon Street, still almost as narrow as it was 400 years ago, is a survivor of one of these alleys and marks the southern limit of the plot purchased by Van Dun.

During the day the Passage reclines in an almost hushed withdrawal from ...
»more


MAY
15
2019

 

Southgate
Southgate village originated as a tiny hamlet, which grew up in the north-west corner of Edmonton parish, along the southern boundary of Enfield Chase. The name derived from the south gate of Enfield Chase, which stood roughly where Chase Road now joins Winchmore Hill Road. The area was originally very heavily wooded, with large estates of oak coppice woods; the last remains of the woodland can be seen in Grovelands Park. Enfield Chase was enclosed in 1777. On the 1803 enclosure map, the settlement is called Chase Side after its main thoroughfare, and what is now Southgate Green is called Southgate. On this map, the four roads which form the crossroads – Chase Side, Bourneside, Chase Road and High Street – are quite densely developed near the junction, with long narrow frontage plots and more generous larger houses in substantial grounds.

Much of the land formed part of the large Grovelands and Arnos estates. The early railways in the mid 19th century gave Southgate a wide berth because of its hilly terrain and, until the arrival of the Piccadilly line extension, the nearest station to Southgate town centre was Pal...
»more


MAY
13
2019

 

Kilburn Grange Park
Kilburn Grange Park is a three hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road. The park takes its name from a large mansion - The Grange - which was built in 1831 and stood facing Kilburn High Road where the Grange Cinema eventually stood.

The Grange, at the end of its time, stood at the centre of the poorest and most crowded part of Kilburn. The streets were the only open space outside the playgrounds of the Council schools.

The first hopes that the space could be made into a public park were raised in 1901 when the owner, Ada Peters, decided that she didn’t want a school built on the edge of her grounds, in Kingsgate Road. She encouraged local residents in the belief that they could purchase the grounds as a park. However, the London School Board had already bought the land in 1892, renting it back to the Peters family until the school was needed.

A local Grange Open Space Committee was formed in April 1901 to resist the ’mutilation’ of the grounds: the short-lived campaign gained popular support befo...
»more


MAY
12
2019

 

Islington
Islington grew as a sprawling Middlesex village along the line of the Great North Road, and has provided the name of the modern borough. Some roads on the edge of the area, including Essex Road, were known as streets by the medieval period, possibly indicating a Roman origin, but little physical evidence remains. What is known is that the Great North Road from Aldersgate came into use in the 14th century, connecting with a new turnpike up Highgate Hill. This was along the line of modern Upper Street, with a toll gate at The Angel defining the extent of the village. The Back Road - modern Liverpool Road - was primarily a drovers’ road where cattle would be rested before the final leg of their journey to Smithfield. Pens and sheds were erected along this road to accommodate the animals.

The first recorded church, St Mary’s, was erected in the twelfth century and was replaced in the fifteenth century. Islington lay on the estates of the Bishop of London and the Dean and Chapter of St Pauls. There were substantial medieval moated manor houses in the area, principally at Canonbury and Highbury. In 1548, t...
»more


MAY
11
2019

 

Hodgson’s Farm
Hodgson’s Farm stood nearly at today’s meetingpoint of Chapter Road and Park Avenue. Hay was the major crop on the farm, owned by a Robert Hodgson.

In the accompanying photo, the farm and farmyard are seen from across a field at the very start of the 20th century. Shortly afterwards it disappeared as the whole of Willesden Green was developed.
»read full article


MAY
10
2019

 

Parliament Hill Fields
Parliament Hill is an area of open parkland in the south-east corner of Hampstead Heath. In 1875 Hampstead Heath was acquired for the people by the Metropolitan Board of Works. Thirteen years later Parliament Hill was purchased for the public for £300 000 and added to Hampstead Heath. It has been administered by the City of London Corporation since 1989.It is a popular place that is used by walkers, runners and kite flyers.

Parliament Hill is 98 metres high and notable for its excellent views of the capital’s skyline - to Canary Wharf, the Gherkin, the Shard and St Paul’s Cathedral.

It is known particularly as a cross-country running venue and hosted the 2009 English National Championships. The 2012 English National Cross Country Championships were also staged at Parliament Hill.
»read full article


MAY
9
2019

 

Upper Woodcote Village, CR8
Upper Woodcote Village was the first area of the Webb Estate to be completed. Chartered surveyor William Webb designed his 260-acre estate as a concept of co-operation between architect and gardener. The estate was built around the imaginative use of of plants and shrubs, with each road having a different character.

Webb had bought the Foxley estate in 1888 and planted trees, flowers and hedgerows that were allowed to mature. Only in 1901 with the coming of the local tram service, were homes were built and offered for sale.

Upper Woodcote Village surrounds a green of four acres. When the green was first laid out, Webb introduced a flock of geese to a pond he had built in one corner. The pond was eventually filled in.

Webb was a Quaker and the Lord Roberts Temperance Inn - named after Field Marshall Lord Roberts - was a "pub with no beer." It was later a coffee shop and post office.

Most of the inner roads of the estate were laid out from 1907 and the plots were developed between 1912 and 1920.
»read full article


MAY
8
2019

 

Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey, formally titled the Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, is one of the world’s greatest churches. According to a tradition first reported by Sulcard in about 1080, a church was founded at the site, then known as Thorn Ey (Thorn Island), in the 7th century, at the time of Mellitus (d. 624), a Bishop of London. The island was a marshy retreat from the City of London, flanked by two channels of the Tyburn River, which flowed where Downing Street and Great College Street now run. Construction of the present church was begun in 1245, on the orders of Henry III.

It is a designated World Heritage Site and ‘Royal Peculiar’, which means the Dean is directly answerable to the monarch. The coronation of Kings and Queens has taken place here since 1066, and many of the nation’s Kings and Queens are buried in the Abbey. Principal among them is St Edward the Confessor, King of England from 1042 to 1066, whose shrine is at the heart of the Abbey. The Abbey has hosted many royal weddings.

Apart from the royal graves, there are many famous commoners interred her...
»more


MAY
7
2019

 

Bridge House
Built around 1705 and demolished in 1950, Bridge House in George Row was once surrounded by the Jacob’s Island rookery. Jacob’s Island was immortalised by Charles Dickens’s novel ’Oliver Twist’, in which the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of ’Folly Ditch’.

Dickens was taken to this then-impoverished and unsavory location by the officers of the river police, with whom he would occasionally go on patrol. When a local politician attempted to deny the very existence of Jacob’s Island, Dickens gave him short shrift, describing the area as the filthiest, the strangest, the most extraordinary of the many localities that are hidden in London. The area was once notoriously squalid and described as The very capital of cholera and The Venice of drains by the Morning Chronicle of 1849.

The ditches were filled in the early 1850s, and the area later redeveloped as warehouses.
»read full article


MAY
6
2019

 

Kensington Palace
Kensington Palace is a royal residence set in Kensington Gardens. It has been a residence of the British Royal Family since the 17th century. The palace is the official London residence of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, while the Duke and Duchess of Kent reside at Wren House.

Kensington Palace, earlier known as Nottingham House, has its origins in a Jacobean mansion built in 1605. Shortly after William and Mary assumed the throne as joint monarchs in 1689, they began searching for a residence better situated for the comfort of the asthmatic William. In summer 1689, William and Mary bought Kensington Palace from Daniel Finch, 2nd Earl of Nottingham.

George I spent lavishly on new royal apartments from 1718. William Kent painted a staircase and some ceilings. In 1722 he designed the Cupola Room, the principal state room, with feigned coffering in its high coved ceiling; in 1819, the Cupola Room was the site of the christening of Princess Alexandrina Victoria, who had been born at Kensington, in the apartments of the ...
»more


MAY
5
2019

 

Chartist meeting, Kennington Common (1848)
On 10 April 1848, William Kilburn took daguerrotypes of the Great Chartist Meeting on Kennington Common – taken from the top of The Horns tavern were the first ever photos of a crowd scene. William Kilburn opened his portrait studio on London’s Regent Street in 1846. He was commissioned to make daguerreotype portraits of the Royal Family between 1846 and 1852 as the Royal Photographer, and was awarded a prize medal for his photographs at the 1851 Great Exhibition.

The Chartists who took their name from Magna Carta were the first British national working class movement. Their meetings had a carnival-like atmosphere.

Tensions were high on that April morning – there were those who feared that civil strife would break out. Between 6-10 April, extra troops were brought to the capital and the authorities enlisted 170 000 special constables. However, on 10th, instead of the half million expected, only about twenty to thirty thousand Chartists demonstrated, and there was little violence.
»read full article


MAY
4
2019

 

Kensington Canal
The Kensington Canal was a canal, about two miles long, opened in 1828 in London from the River Thames at Chelsea, along the line of Counter’s Creek, to a basin near Warwick Road in Kensington. It had one lock near the Kensington Basin. It was not commercially successful, and was purchased by a railway company, which laid its line along the route of the canal.

Counter’s Creek was a minor tributary of the Thames running south from Kensal Green to join the main river west of Battersea Bridge.

Lord Kensington, William Edwardes, seeing the success of the Regent’s Canal, asked his surveyor William Cutbush in 1822 to draw up plans to convert the creek into a canal, with the object of bringing goods and minerals from the London docks to the Kensington area, then a rural district isolated from London.

After some modifications, Cutbush’s plan obtained Parliamentary sanction in 1824, and the Kensington Canal Company was incorporated in that year. William Edwardes and a group of his friends were the proprietors; the cost of construction had been estimated as £7,969. The share capital of the company was £10,000 in one hun...
»more


MAY
3
2019

 

Coldharbour Farm
Coldharbour Farm, which was active in Hayes until the 1950s, was once the property of the Minet family. Properties in Hayes, Middlesex, acquired piecemeal by the Minet family, were collectively known as the Minet Estate. The Minets were a French Huguenot family who came to England after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1686.

At its height the Minet Estate comprised a very large portion of the eastern side of the parish of Hayes.

Not only did they own Coldharbour Farm but Hayes Court Farm, Hayes Bridge Farm, East Acton Brickworks, Victoria Sawmills, Wistowe, Porch House, Townfield and the Grange.
»read full article


MAY
2
2019

 

Mops and Brooms
Nelson Cottage, Well End, is a two storey two bay timber framed house dating from c1600. It became a beer house in 1841. It was bought by Hertford Brewers McMullen’s in 1912 and was known as the Lord Nelson.

It closed in 1932 and the building reverted back to a dwelling house, McMullen’s building the new Lord Nelson on an adjacent plot of land.

For some time the pub had been affectionately known by locals as The Mops and Brooms. The name supposedly derived from a fight between gypsies, farm labourers and poachers who frequented the pub and who used the travellers wares of mops and
brooms in a mighty punch up.

When McMullen’s decided to officially change the name to The Mops & Brooms the original sign, a portrait of Lord Nelson, was replaced by one depicting the fight. The old sign now hangs over a fireplace in the pub.
»read full article


MAY
1
2019

 

Whitechapel Road, E1
Whitechapel Road is a major arterial road in East London. It connects Aldgate (as Whitechapel High Street) with Mile End Road. Whitechapel Road is part of the historic Roman road from London to Colchester.

The road had become built up by the 19th century - by the 1870s, the road had become extensively developed with properties along the entire stretch of the road. A market became established in the road.

The Whitechapel Bell Foundry, a principal supplier of church bells, was until its closure in 2017, based at 32–34 Whitechapel Road.

Several ethnic minority communities have based themselves on Whitechapel Road. The road was a focal point of the Jewish Community between the 1850s and 1930s, with many Jewish shops and market stalls. Towards the latter part of the 20th century, the street became an established settlement of the Bangladeshi community.
»read full article


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.