The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  BLOG 
(51.56161 0.07417) 

The Underground Map

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Ilford ·
August
3
2020

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Thorold Road, IG1
Thorold Road dates from 1889-90. The name Thorold Road might reflect a Lincolnshire association since, while not a village name, there are two pubs called ’The Thorold Arms’ - one in Marston and the other in Harmston. The Reverend Henry Thorold lived in a vicarage in the former. A housemaster at Lancing College, he wrote for the acclaimed ’Shell Guides’ to the counties of England.

More likely is the theory that the name is derived from James Edwin Thorold Rogers (1823-1890) who was Liberal MP for Southwark. He had been influential in the ’National Liberal Land Company’. The company was renamed the ’National Land Company’ in 1893.

While not landowners in Ilford, the Balfour Group and the National (Liberal) Land Company had close political links and it was the Balfour Group - trading locally as Hobbs and Company - which developed Thorold Street.


»more

JULY
10
2020

 

Silverdale Road, WD23
Silverdale Road lies between Aldenham Road and Grange Road The road dates from the Edwardian era.
»read full article


JULY
6
2020

 

Hounslow West
Hounslow West was once the terminus of the London Underground Hounslow branch The original station was opened by the District Railway (now the District line) on 21 July 1884. It was originally named Hounslow Barracks since it was situated close to the Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow which were south of the station on Beavers Lane.

At first, the station was the terminus of a single track branch line from the now-closed Hounslow Town station on Hounslow High Street. This branch diverged from the main route about 300 metres east of the present Hounslow East station. When the branch opened there were no intermediate stations between this station and Osterley & Spring Grove (now called Osterley).

New stations were eventually opened and on 1 December 1925 Hounslow West, Hounslow Central and Hounslow East received their current station names. The branch had been electrified in 1905.

The original building was demolished and a new Stanley Heaps and Charles Holden-designed Hounslow West opened on 5 July 1931 on the Bath Road.»more


JULY
5
2020

 

Gants Hill
Gants Hill is an area of Ilford within the London Borough of Redbridge, 15 km northeast of Charing Cross The name ’Gants Hill’ may derive from the le Gant family, stewards of Barking Abbey, who were originally from the Ghent area (’Gand’ in French). The name ’Gantesgrave’ appears in records from 1291.

The area was remote farmland until after the First World War.

The government had begun to provide funds to subsidise public housing. The Corporation of London proposed an estate of 2000 cottages between Cranbrook Road and Horns Road but abandoned the project before it was even half way complete.

After the Eastern Avevue was carved through the site in the mid 1920s, a developer - Charles Lord - bought the abandoned Corporation of London site and largely completed the scheme. Especially profitable for him was the conversion of properties that faced the Eastern Avenue into shops.

The focus for the new area was the Gants Hill roundabout. Largely retail, the The art deco Savoy cinema was built in 1934 (but demolished...
»more


JULY
3
2020

 

Zulu Mews, SW11
Zulu Mews lies within the curve of a Battersea railway At time of writing it was the last street alphabetically in London. It arrived as the latest street in Battersea in 2010.

It had been an access road to the back gardens of Rowena Crescent but, London housing pressure being what it is, became filled with ten modern dwellings in a gated development.

The curious name comes about because Rowena Crescent was originally called Zulu Crescent when laid out in 1880. The nearby streets had all been named after 1870s British military victories. Rowena Cresent residents of the 1880s did not take to the name for the road.

When the 2010 developet was built, and needed a name, the original Zulu monicker was given to the new street.


»read full article




JULY
11
2019

 

Belmont Road, UB8
Belmont Road was the original site for Uxbridge station. Uxbridge Common was enclosed in the 17th century to provide sites for country residences. Blue House or Belmont on the Common, west of the Harefield Road, was built in the late 17th century. The name for the house became the name for the road which was built to connect the Common with the town centre.

Uxbridge was a major centre for Quakers since 1658. The Friends Meeting House on the corner of Belmont Road and York Road dates from 1817 but this had replaced the original 1692 Meeting House on this site.

Also in the road, the Uxbridge Lancasterian or British School was a school for children ’of all labouring people or mechanics’ based in the Uxbridge Market House until premises in Belmont Road were erected in 1816.

Victorian housing became established in the road with building stretching from the Uxbridge end.

At the end of the nineteenth century, the Harrow and Uxbridge Railway Company was established under the auspice...
»more


JULY
10
2019

 

Passmore Edwards Public Library
The Passmore Edwards Public Library on the Uxbridge Road, Shepherd’s Bush, was built in 1895 and funded by the journalist and philanthropist Passmore Edwards. It is one of a number of public libraries that still bear his name today. In 2008 a new library was built in Shepherd’s Bush, part of the substantial Westfield London development, and the Passmore Edwards library fell into disuse. In October 2011 it re-opened as the new home of the Bush Theatre.


»read full article


JULY
8
2019

 

Barclay Road, SW6
Barclay Road runs from Fulham Road to the rails of the District Line. The history of Barclay Road is linked with that of Fulham, and later Walham Green. Originally part of Fulham Fields, and from Norman times the Manor of Fulham, it remained sparsely populated and predominantly involved in agriculture.

By 1706 this part of Fulham was being described as "a village in which lives a considerable number of people, mostly gardeners, whose kitchen greens, plants, herbs, roots and flowers dayly supply Westminster and Covent Gardens. Here are no houses of considerable note."

In 1813, Thomas Faulkner describes this part of Fulham as the "great kitchen garden, north of the Thames for supplying London". There were orchards of apples, pears, cherries, plums and walnuts, with soft fruit such as raspberries and gooseberries grown in between the trees. Once vegetable growing became more profitable, many orchards were replaced and land given over to vegetables. The market gardeners often cultivated a succession of crops throughout the yea...
»more


JULY
4
2019

 

Bishop’s Wood
Together with Winnington Road, Ingram Avenue and the reknowned Bishop’s Avenue, the wood was named after Arthur Winnington-Ingram, who as Bishop of London owned much of the surrounding area following a land grant in 704 AD. Bishop’s Wood, with one further to the north called Mutton Wood, and another to the west known as Wild Wood, was a portion of the great wood attached to the estate and castle of the Bishop of London, at Highgate.

In 1755 it was purchased by Lord Mansfield, and left as a wild copse, strictly preserved as a cover for game.

Most of the land was sold privately in the early 20th century.
»read full article


JULY
3
2019

 

Woodcock Dell Farm
’Woodcock’ is derived from the old English word ’Woodcot’ meaning a dweller at a cottage in or near a farm. Woodcock Hill (Lane) is the road leading south from the crossroad of Kenton Lane and Kenton Road.

Before 1930, a footpath was an alternative route to using Woodcock Hill Lane. It reached the location of Woodcock Dell, and then across fields to Harrow on the Hill - now the route of The Ridgeway and Northwick Avenue.

Woodcock Dell with its pond, by the time it came to adjoin the Metropolitan Railway, was a pig farm. A small ’cattle creep’ went under the nearby railway line in the direction of what is now Windermere Avenue.

Woodcock Dell Farm was demolished in the 1930s to make way for a new residential estate built by Costin, and Comben and Wakeling.
»read full article


JULY
2
2019

 

Boyle Street, W1S
Boyle Street was built on a piece of land called the Ten Acres to discharge some Boyle family debts. The Boyle family were the Earls of Burlington who held land rather than had money.

Jabez Collier, a lawyer, suggested that part of the Ten Acres, also known as Crabtree Field, which the Burlingtons used as a garden should be given over to building leases. In January 1718, Lord Burlington submitted a Bill in the House of Lords to permit him to grant building leases of the part of the Ten Acres lying behind Burlington-House Garden. On this piece of ground were built Boyle Street, Cork Street, Clifford Street, Old Burlington Street and some houses in New Bond Street.

The street runs east-west from the junction of the Coach and Horses Yard and Old Burlington Street, to Savile Row. Although mainly offices now, the street once had houses and the Burlington Charity Schoolhouse, built about 1720.
»read full article


JULY
1
2019

 

Northwick Park
Northwick Park is a park, suburb and tube station. The park was originally an estate which was part of Sheepcote Farm and named after its lord, Northwick. Middlesex County Council acquired 192 acres in the 1930s to create public land. The amount of public open space has since diminished, partly due to the building of Northwick Park Hospital.

The Metropolitan Railway run their lines through here in 1880 but the station opened only in 1923 as the suburbs was built.

Kenton station on the Bakerloo line and London Overground is within walking distance.
»read full article


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Files on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Attribution:
You are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.