The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.54086 -0.19749) 

The Underground Map

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Brondesbury Park ·
October
25
2020

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
The Elms
The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane. From around the 1750, The Elms was under the ownership of a number of people. Mr and Mrs Pickersgill were in occupation between 1829 and 1832. The husband, Henry William Pickersgill, was an eminent portrait painter. Mrs Pickersgill ran a school for ‘female education’.

From 1832 John Ebers, a widowed theatre manager with two daughters moved into The Elms. He moved into the world of publishing.

Next, the writer William Harrison Ainsworth lived in the house (his wife was Fanny Ebers, daughter of John). Here he began writing his novel ’Rookwood’, about the notorious highwayman Dick Turpin. John Ebers published the book. Although the inn where Dick Turpin met his accomplices is based on The Cock in Kilburn, the story is fictitious and there’s no historical evidence to link Turpin to Kilburn.

The Elms stood on the site of the later Gaumont State Cinema.

»more

OCTOBER
9
2020

 

Oakington Manor Farm
Oakington Manor Farm derived its name from a corruption of the name ’Tokyngton’ Oakington (Manor) Farm was an old Wembley manor and farm, first mentioned in 1171.

Gordon S Maxwell’s The Fringe of London (published 1925) talks of the small Middlesex hamlet of Monks Park, alongside the river Brent to the south of Oakington Farm.

In 1845, Richard Welford, a cowkeeper from Holloway, took over Warwick Farm, Paddington and founded what was to become J Welford & Sons Ltd. His dairy business became the largest retail milk business in the capital. The farm’s cowsheds were situated between the Harrow Road and what is now Warwick Crescent. The fields of Warwick Farm were built over and became Warwick Avenue, Warwick Place and Warwick Crescent.

In the mid 1850s, the Warwick Farm cowsheds were moved to Oakington Manor Farm in Wembley.

The farm was situated almost next to Watkin’s Folly in Wembley Park. What was later South Way was the farm’s access track but in 1906, the Great Central Railway bu...
»more


OCTOBER
8
2020

 

British Museum station
British Museum was a station on the Central line, located in Holborn and taking its name from the nearby British Museum in Great Russell Street British Museum station was opened by the Central London Railway on 30 July 1900 with an entrance at 133 High Holborn.

There had been ideas for an underground passageway between British Museum and Holborn (100 metres away and open in 1906) but tunnelling would have been complex. A proposal to enlarge the tunnels under High Holborn to create new platforms at Holborn station for the Central and to abandon the British Museum station was originally included in a private bill submitted to parliament as early as November 1913. The First World War prevented any work taking place. The works were eventually carried out as part of the modernisation of Holborn station at the beginning of the 1930s when escalators were installed. British Museum station was closed on 24 September 1933, with the new platforms at Holborn opening the following day.

British Museum station was subsequently used up to the 1960s as a military administrative office and emergency command post, ...
»more


OCTOBER
7
2020

 

Nether Street, N3
Nether Street was recognised by the mid-14th century as an old street, sometimes called ’Lower Street’ Nether Street was a link road from the main roads to Finchley properties such as Moss Hall and Brent Lodge. It was already called Nether Street by 1365 and ’le lower street’ in 1622. It was linked at both ends to Ballards Lane. Coles Lane, first mentioned in 1393 may have been the southern link. About 1867 the northern section was named Mosshall Lane.

By the time of the 1851 census, Nether Street had 17 houses, including Elm Place, Sellars Hall, Brent Lodge, Long Lodge, and Courthouse Farm, and housed two fund-holders, two members of the stock exchange and two solicitors.

West of Nether street is Dollis Brook, a tributary of the Brent. The viaduct carrying trains between Mill Hill East and Finchley Central was designed by Sir John Fowler and is the highest point above sea level on the London Underground.

The large house which is now Finchley Golf Club (here since 1929) was originally called Nether Court. This is one of the larg...
»more


OCTOBER
6
2020

 

Debden House
The Grade II listed Debden House was built in the early 19th century and was probably a former coach house Debden Green House, as it was then, was once part of the Debden Hall estate. In 1777, Alexander Hamilton is shown to be the owner of Debden Hall and Debden House in Debden Green. He owned Debden Green House from at least 1748. It seems that he used Debden Hall and House as his country estate.

Hamilton died at Lincoln’s Inn in 1781 at the age of 88. When he died his eldest son William Hamilton inherited his property. William was also a lawyer who lived at Lincoln’s Inn.

William died in 1811 and as he had no sons his property was left to his nephew William Richard Hamilton. It seems that sometime after this both Debden House and the Hall were sold to Nicholas Pearse who was the husband of Sarah Hamilton, William’s daughter.

Nicholas Pearse was the son of a wealthy landowner and clothier and he had inherited property when his father died in 1793. Nicholas Pearse and Sarah Hamilton had no children and when Nicholas died in 1825 he lef...
»more




OCTOBER
5
2020

 

Poplar Dock
Poplar Dock is a small dock that connects to the Blackwall Basin of the West India Docks. Originally this was a series of reservoirs built by the West India Dock Company and completed in 1828.

The West India Dock Company built the reservoirs to provide clean impounded water to keep the water level in the docks high and so prevent an influx of water and mud when the entrance locks were opened at high tides. Each of the reservoirs was 650 feet by 110 feet. They were fed from the river on every high tide. The bottom of each reservoir inclined upwards. A steam engine pumped settled water into the upper reservoir, which sluiced directly into the Blackwall Basin and entrance lock.

The steam engine proved inadequate and so, in 1831, James Watt replaced the twin pumps with a single ’Great Pump’.

The upper reservoir was filled in 1838–9 because its site was required for the London and Blackwall Railway. The reservoirs were converted into a timber pond in 1844.

Poplar Dock was then converted into a railway dock, in t...
»more


OCTOBER
4
2020

 

Rosenau Road, SW11
Rosenau Road was named after Schloss Rosenau, the birthplace and boyhood home of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became the consort of Queen Victoria. After the opening of Albert Bridge in 1873 offered the prospect of easy access to Chelsea and the West End, development along its approach road became more attractive. Hedworth Williamson, a speculator then acting as building contractor for the bridge, saw the potential. A cousin of his better-known namesake, the diplomat Sir Hedworth Williamson, he had a somewhat doubtful record in property speculation. A warrant for his arrest issued in 1865 over a questionable sale of shares described him as ‘5ft 6in high, of florid complexion, and very stout face, with projecting front teeth; wears no whiskers or moustache’.

He employed as his architect and surveyor John Robinson. Robinson drew up the initial plans for Williamson, writing in November 1871 to the Commissioners:
At the present moment I think it cannot be denied that the Locality has a bad
name, but, as most of the Building Ground surrounding the Park is still unlet
and as it is in most part...
»more


OCTOBER
3
2020

 

Hacton
Hacton is a small dispersed settlement located within the London Borough of Havering. Hacton is located in the countryside between two London suburban towns, Upminster and Rainham.

The name means ’farmstead on a hook-shaped piece of land’ and refers to an area next to the River Ingrebourne. It was historically a hamlet in the ancient parish of Upminster with a long history - a Romano-British farmstead was discovered west of Corbets Tey during gravel-digging in 1962.

In medieval Upminster there seem to have been three clusters of settlement - Upminster village and the hamlets of Hacton and Corbets Tey.In addition to the three settlements medieval dwellings were scattered through the parish.

Hacton and its bridge already existed in 1299. The hamlet expanded slowly. High House and Hoppy Hall on the Corbets Tey road, were probably built in the early 17th century - both were demolished in 1935–6.

Hacton Bridge was originally manorial. In the 1630s it was a horse-bridge, but in the 1660s local inhabitants per...
»more


OCTOBER
2
2020

 

Brockwell Park
Brockwell Park is a 50 hectare park located between Brixton, Herne Hill and Tulse Hill. The Grade II listed Brockwell Hall was originally built between 1811-1813 when the area was part of Surrey and was the country seat of glass merchant John Blades as the centrepiece of his Park Estate. The perimeter of today’s park reflects the boundary of the original estate.

The land and house were acquired by the London County Council (LCC) in March 1891 and opened to the public on 2 June in the following summer, led by the local MP Thomas Lynn Bristowe. At the unveiling, he died of a heart attack on the steps of Brockwell Hall.

In 1901 the LCC acquired a further 43 acres of land north of the original park.

J.J. Sexby, the Chief Officer of Parks of the LCC designed the conversion of the estate into a public park. When he came to the estate he described it as displaying "a wildness ... the beauties of Nature unadorned... long stretches of undulating grassland dotted here and there with fine specimen trees ... When it was bought for the...
»more


OCTOBER
1
2020

 

Wembley Park
Wembley Park is a London Underground station, the nearest Underground station to the Wembley Stadium complex. Tracks were laid through the area by the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan Line) when it extended its services from Willesden Green to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Services to Harrow started on 2 August 1880 although Wembley Park station was not constructed until later.

The station was constructed to serve the pleasure grounds developed by the MR at Wembley Park, a former country estate bought by the company in 1881 as a destination for excursion trips on the company’s trains. The station opened for the first time on 14 October 1893 and initially operated to serve only Saturday football matches in the park. It opened fully on 12 May 1894.

Later in the 1890s, the Great Central Railway’s (GCR’s) London extension was constructed adjacent to the MR’s tracks. The tracks pass under the entrance building but the station has never been served by mainline operators. In 1905 the tracks were electrified and the first electric trains became operational. B...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
Attribution: No known copyright owner. Public domain assumed
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.