The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.56312 -0.11377, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Featured · Finsbury Park ·
JUNE
25
2021

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Alsen Road, N7
Alsen Road, which existed between 1851 and 1972 crossed the still-extant Andover Road. The location of Alsen Road was part of the local Long Lands estate. This was bought by the St Pancras, Marylebone and Paddington Freehold Land Society which sold off in plots in 1851.

The provisional street name for Alsen Road was Reform Road, the name approved in 1864 and reflecting the Society’s aim to create more voters. Other local street names were Franchise Road (Andover Road), Liberty Road (later Victor Road) and Freehold Road (which became Durham Road). The Franchise public house was about halfway along the street on the corner of Franchise Road/Andover Road.

The northern half of the street was Reform Road and the southern half Alsen Road. In 1877, the whole street became Alsen Road.

Alsen is the German form of Als, an island the chief town of which is Sonderburg in German (hence Sonderburg Road) but Sønderborg in Danish. The First Schleswig War took place between 1848 and 1851, some of the action taking place around Als. In 1864...

»more

JUNE
10
2021

 

Two Puddings
The Two Puddings was situated at 27 Stratford Broadway The first mention of the Two Puddings as a Stratford pub seem to date from the 1890s.

During the twentieth century, the Two Puddings became a notorious pub, known locally as the Butcher’s Shop on account of the amount of blood spilt.

From 1962 until its closure in 2000, Eddie Johnson was landlord of the Two Puddings in Stratford and he started to change its reputation.

Eddie and wife Shirley were rock’n’roll fans and already from 1958 onwards had organised gig nights known as The Big Beat Club and The Devil’s Kitchen where in time The Who and The Kinks performed

The Puddings became a prime venue with the UK’s first disco. Coming along to the pub in the 1960s and beyond were television personalities, actors, writers, champion boxers, musicians, gangsters and footballers. Harry Redknapp met his wife there and David Essex made his performing debut at the Puddings.

At the end of the...
»more


JUNE
9
2021

 

Lombard Street, EC3V
Lombard Street has a history stretching back to medieval times Lombard Street has its origins in one of the main Roman roads of London. It was so-named as it formed a plot of land granted by King Edward I (1272–1307) to goldsmiths from Lombardy.

In his diary of the 1660s, Samuel Pepys mentions "Lumbard street" many times.

The Royal Exchange was built in the street by Thomas Gresham. Lloyd’s Coffee House, which eventually became Lloyd’s of London, moved to Lombard Street from Tower Street in 1691.

From 1678 to 1829, the General Post Office had its headquarters on Lombard Street. The continuously expanding the post office site in the middle of the financial district eventually necessitated a move to St Martins-le-Grand.

Until the 1980s, most UK-based banks had their head offices in Lombard Street.

The street has a number of colourful signs hanging from the buildings, depicting historic organisations and buildings once located there. The signs were erected for the coronation of Edward VII in 1902.
»read full article


JUNE
8
2021

 

Oxhey Lane, WD19
Oxhey Lane is the oldest road in Carpenders Park The road connected Oxhey and Hatch End. Midway along, Carpenders Park Farm was formerly the location of Braziers Dairy. Oxhey Lane was a narrow winding lane until widened in 1937.

Little Carpenders, along the lane, dates from around the 1860s and may have been the Estate Agent’s house for the ’Carpenders Estate’.

Before the South Oxhey (Carpenders Park) estate was built, the Oxhey Hall Estate was built in the 1930s in the lands to the west of Oxhey Lane as an example of "Metroland" architecture.

In the mid 1930s, Carpenders Park station was simply a halt for golfers using Oxhey Hall Golf Course. Bungalows and a few houses were built around it and Carpenders Avenue came into being; other roads spread out from it.

After the Second World War, South Oxhey Estate was built by London County Council between the railway line and Oxhey Woods. The land had formerly been part of the extensive Blackwells’ estate (of Crosse and Bl...
»more


JUNE
7
2021

 

Oliphant Street, W10
Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme The Manor and Parish of Chelsea owned an enclave - covering Kensal Town and Queen’s Park - until 1901 when it was divided between Kensington and Paddington. Kensal Town went to the former and the other side of the Harrow Road to the latter.

The north section was developed in 1875 by the Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company, who were the landlords until 1964. The north-south streets of their grid were numbered 1-6 and euphemistically entitled ’avenues’ : First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Avenues. The remaining streets were simply labelled A Street through to O Street.

Eight years later it was decided that even artisans and labourers deserved a little better. A became Alperton, after the Company’s brickyard in Middlesex, and was followed by Barfett, Caird, Droop (after H R. Droop, Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company Director 1877-1883), Enbrook, Farrant (Sir Richard Farrant, Director 1877-1906), Galton (probably i...
»more





LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Lived here
Kim Johnson   
Added: 24 Jun 2021 19:17 GMT   

Limehouse Causeway (1908)
My great grandparents were the first to live in 15 Tomlins Terrace, then my grandparents and parents after marriage. I spent the first two years of my life there. My nan and her family lived at number 13 Tomlins Terrace. My maternal grandmother lived in Maroon house, Blount Street with my uncle. Nan, my mum and her brothers were bombed out three times during the war.

Reply
Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply
Lived here
Norman Norrington   
Added: 8 Jun 2021 08:08 GMT   

Blechynden Street, W10
Lived here #40 1942-1967

Reply
Comment
Brenda Newton   
Added: 5 Jun 2021 07:17 GMT   

Hewer Street W10
John Nodes Undertakers Hewer Street W10

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 2 Jun 2021 16:58 GMT   

Parachute bomb 1941
Charles Thomas Bailey of 82 Morley Road was killed by the parachute bomb March 1941

Reply

   
Added: 1 Jun 2021 12:41 GMT   

Abbeville Road (1940 street directory)
North west side
1A Clarke A S Ltd, motor engineers
15 Plumbers, Glaziers & Domestic Engineers Union
25 Dixey Edward, florist
27 Vicary Miss Doris J, newsagent
29 Stenning John Andrew, dining rooms
31 Clarke & Williams, builders
33 Hill Mrs Theodora, confectioner
35 Golding W & sons, corn dealers
... here is Shandon road ...
37 Pennington Mrs Eliz Harvie, wine & spirit merchant
39 Westminster Catering Co Ltd, ham, beef & tongue dealers
41 Masters A (Clapham) Ltd, butchers
43 Thomas Euan Ltd, grocers
45 Garrett C T & Co Ltd, undertakers
47 Mayle T & Sons, fishmongers
49 Mayles Ltd, fruiterers
51 & 73 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
53 United Dairies (London) Ltd
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
55 Norris William Lennox, baker
57 Silver Star Laundry Ltd
59 Thorp John, oilman
61 Bidgood Leonard George, boot makers
63 Wilkie Rt Miln, chemist
65 Gander George Albert Isaac, hairdresser
67 Harris Alfred William, greengrocer
69 & 71 Lambert Ernest & Son Ltd, grocers
... here is Hambolt road ...
73 & 51 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
75 Cambourn Frederick, butcher
77 Siggers Clement, chemist
77 Post, Money Order, Telephone Call & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank
79 Hemmings William, baker
... here is Elms road ...
85 Cornish Joseph
91 Bedding Mrs
151 Johnson Mrs H K
157 Robinson Albert Ernest, grainer
173 Yardleys London & Provincial Stores Ltd, wine & spirit merchants
175 Clark Alfred, butcher
175A Morley Douglas Frederick, confectioner
... here is Crescent lane ...
... her is St Alphonsus road ...

South east side
... here is Trouville road ...
4 Bossy Miss, private school
... here are Bonneville gardens ...
24 Osborn Charles Edward, ladies hairdresser
24 Hall H Ltd, builders
24A Walton Lodge Laundry Ltd
... here are Shandon road & Abbeville mansions ...
28 Copley Fred Smith, chemist
30 Finch H G Ltd, laundry
32 Carter William Alfred, furniture dealer
34 Spriggs Charles & Co, wireless supplies dealer
36 Miles Frederick William, confectioner
38 Pitman Frederick, hairdresser
40 Rowe Frederick F, valeting service
42 Modridge Edward J, oilman
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
44 Southorn Albert, butcher
46 Brown Ernest, fruiterer
48 Stanley Mrs A A, confectioner
50 Fryatt Owen, delixatessen store
52 Benbrooks, domestic stores
54 Davis William Clifford, boot repairer
56 Blogg Alfred, newsagent
58 Rowlands Thomas & Sons, dairy
... here are Hambalt, Elms, Franconia, Caldervale & Leppoc roads ...
124 Clarke Frederick, decorator
... here are Crescent lane, Briarwood road & Park hill ...

Reply
Comment
Boo Horton    
Added: 31 May 2021 13:39 GMT   

Angel & Trumpet, Stepney Green
The Angel & Trumpet Public House in Stepney Green was run by my ancestors in the 1930’s. Unfortunately, it was a victim on WWII and was badly damaged and subsequently demolished. I have one photograph that I believe to bethe pub, but it doesn’t show much more that my Great Aunt cleaning the steps.

Reply

APRIL
30
2021

 

Abbey Road
Not a zebra crossing in sight. Abbey Road DLR station is built on the original route of the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway which opened between Stratford and Canning Town stations in 1846. The line became part of what is now known as the North London Line in 1979. The Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway had four tracks over this section of route. The western pair were redeveloped as part of an extension to the London Underground’s Jubilee Line in 1999 and the eastern pair, which carried the North London Line service, were cut back at Stratford in 2006. The tracks were converted for use as part of the Docklands Light Railway.

The area between Canning Town and Stratford has been identified for major regeneration and new development as part of the Lower Lea Valley. The street that it serves is named after the nearby Stratford Langthorne Abbey.

The station is nowhere near the other, better-known Abbey Road of Beatles fame, with the celebrated zebra crossing near St...
»more


APRIL
29
2021

 

Stratford High Street
Stratford High Street is a DLR station and the location of an earlier station from 1847 to 1957, known initially as Stratford Bridge and later as Stratford Market. The first station on the Stratford High Street site was opened as Stratford Bridge on 14 June 1847 between Stratford and Canning Town stations. In 1879, the Great Eastern Railway opened a wholesale fruit and vegetable market at Stratford to rival Spitalfields Market, and the station was renamed Stratford Market on 1 November 1880.

The line through the station site to North Woolwich closed in December 2006 for works to start on conversion of the North London line to DLR operation. The station reopened as Stratford High Street as part of the Stratford International extension on 31 August 2011.

The original red brick station buildings from the original station still stand on the south side of Stratford High Street.
»read full article


APRIL
28
2021

 

Market Square, BR1
Bromley was granted a market charter in 1205 and the square dates from then. Bromley’s very first charter was granted by King Ethelbert of Kent in 862.

A traditional wooden market building lay at the centre of Market Square until the 1830s. The building had open sides where the market would take place.

This structure was replaced by the ’Old New Town Hall’, built by Coles-Child.

In 1933, the narrow row of houses and shops between the High Street and Market Square were demolished and replaced by Arts and Crafts buildings.
»read full article


APRIL
27
2021

 

Jubilee Crescent, E14
Jubilee Crescent was built in 1935 by architect G R Unthank. Local ship repairing firm, R. & H. Green & Silley Weir Ltd were based in Blackwall and were part of a long shipbuilding tradition. R. and H. Green Ltd was formed from the long-established Blackwall firm of Wigram and Green who were famous shipbuilders in the 19th century, however with the decline of Thames shipbuilding in the early 20th century, R. & H. Green became part of a ship repairing partnership called R. and H. Green and Silley Weir.

It was the chairman of the firm, John Silley, who was determined to provide homes for retired workers of the shipbuilding and repairing industries. John Silley was a committed Christian who contributed toward the YMCA and numerous other charities. Silley had already built some dwellings for his workers in Falmouth and chose the Isle of Dogs to build a series of dwellings.

Silley approached the Port of London Authority and persuaded them to give him 1.5 acres on the edge of the Mudchute in exchange for some land ow...
»more


APRIL
26
2021

 

Monza Street, E1W
Monza Street lies south of the Shadwell Basin. Shadwell Basin was formerly part of the London Docks and nowadays is one the most significant bodies of water surviving from the historical period.

Monza Street was originally called Star Street and, like other nearby streets, contained small chandlers and other maritime shops.

As Fiona Rule notes in ’London’s Docklands: A History of the Lost Quarter’, by the 1880s, most of the shops had disappeared and in Star Street, lightermen advertised their services on small brass plaques fixed to the front doors of their homes.
»read full article


APRIL
25
2021

 

Aldwych, WC2B
The name Aldwych derives from the Old English eald and wic meaning ’old trading town’ or ’old marketplace’; the name was later applied to the street and district. In the seventh century, an Anglo-Saxon village and trading centre named Lundenwic (’London trading town’) was established here approximately one mile to the west of Londinium. Lundenwic probably used the mouth of the River Fleet as a harbour or anchorage for trading ships and fishing boats. It was recorded as Aldewich in 1211 but then the name Aldwych largely disappeared from history for some 800 years.

The Aldwych and Kingsway scheme was the London County Council’s first large urban improvement scheme in central London. It was opened in 1905 and signalled the council’s vision of London as a modern city of tree-lined boulevards, office blocks and free-flowing traffic.

There had long been calls for a new route for traffic between Holborn and Fleet Street, but it was not until the London County Council came into existence that the scheme took shape. A new road was proposed between Holborn and Fleet Street. The slum properties ...
»more


APRIL
24
2021

 

Woodcote Valley Road, CR8
Woodcote Valley Road falls within the boundary of William Webb’s Garden Estate at Woodcote. The Webb Estate was built by William Webb from 1898. Webb was a local estate agent and spent his lifetime developing his Garden Estate idea.

He designed Woodcote Valley Road to lead to his 1903 model village, Upper Woodcote Village, in the south-western corner of the Webb Estate.

At the centre is a four acre green.

»read full article


APRIL
23
2021

 

Amen Court, EC4M
Many of the highways and byways around the precincts of St Paul’s Cathedral bear names which have ecclesiastical origins. It is very likely that Amen Court housed the scribes and letter writers employed in writing the great volumes of the Cathedral.

Reputedly built by Sir Christopher Wren, Amen Court is a secluded solace hidden away behind Ave Maria Lane. This little Court contains the late 17th century houses of the residentiary cannons of St Paul’s Cathedral, some of which still retain the original torch-light extinguishers, positioned by their doors. One or two are further graced with old iron foot scrapers. Tucked away at the far end a pretty garden adds the finishing touches to this tranquil setting.

Before the Great Fire, the ground on which Amen Court is constructed was occupied by the Oxford Arms, one of the many galleried coaching inns of the City. All were built on a similar style where the galleried rooms, usually of two storeys, bordered three sides of the court and the fourth side was built up with stabling. In the Oxford Arms courtyard the stables lay on the ...
»more


APRIL
22
2021

 

Allington Street, SW1E
Allington Street was named after Allington in Lincolnshire. Allington Street is first found in 1827, a year when a rash of new streets and terraces appeared in the future Victoria area.

They were all named, and for no apparent reason, after towns scattered over the country: Allington (Lincs), Stockbridge (Hants), Shaftesbury (Dorset), Bedford, Trelleck (Mon), Pembroke, Hindon (Wilts) and Howick (Lanes). Names of towns were a common source of street names among uninspired builders.

Apart from Allington Street and Howick Place, they have all since disappeared.
»read full article


APRIL
21
2021

 

Allcroft Road, NW5
Allcroft Road was built between 1862 and 1870 to links Queen’s Crescent with roads to the south. The church of St Martin’s was built in 1865 at the expense of John D. Allcroft. Allcroft was a wealthy Shropshire gentleman who was concerned about the spiritual welfare of the hundreds of workers and artisans moving into the developing neighbourhood. A memorial to him was erected in the church after his death in 1893.

J. Sainsbury built an important North London depot in Allcroft Road in the 1880s.

After Second World War devastation in the area, the northern section of the road went under the bulldozer and disappeared.
»read full article


APRIL
20
2021

 

Barfett Street, W10
Barfett Street is a street on the Queen’s Park Estate, W10 Barfett Street forms part of the Queens Park Estate, built by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company.

The Artisans Company’s first project was Shaftesbury Park, a development of 1,200 two-storey houses covering 42.5 acres built in 1872 on the site of a former pig farm in Battersea. The success of Shaftesbury Park led to the construction of Queen’s Park, built in 1874 on a far more ambitious scale on 76 acres of land to the west of London, adjacent to the railway line out of Paddington (Queen’s Park station opened in 1879), purchased from All Souls College, Oxford.

The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.

Barfett Street was originally called "B Street" since the Estate had street names of numbers and letters: Avenues 1-6 and streets A-P.
»read full article


APRIL
19
2021

 

Forest Hill
Forest Hill was sparsely populated until the coming of the railway in the mid-19th century. The name Forest Hill, originally simply ’The Forest’, referred to the woodland which once covered the area and which was a relict of the Great North Wood.

While in 1809, the Croydon Canal opened, however, the large number of locks meant it was not a commercial success, and it was bought by the London & Croydon Railway Company (L&CR) who used the alignment to construct the London Bridge to Croydon railway line. The local station was opened by the London & Croydon on 5 June 1839, as Dartmouth Arms (the name of the local inn).

When the Crystal Palace was moved from Hyde Park to Sydenham in 1854, many large homes were built on the western end of Forest Hill along with Honor Oak. In 1884, London’s oldest swimming pool was constructed on Dartmouth Road. The tea merchant Frederick Horniman built a museum to house his collection of natural history artifacts. He donated the building and its gardens to the public in 1901 and this became the Horniman M...
»more


APRIL
18
2021

 

Greenwich
Greenwich is a town, now part of the south eastern urban sprawl of London, on the south bank of the River Thames. Greenwich is notable for its maritime history and for giving its name to the Greenwich Meridian (0° longitude) and Greenwich Mean Time. The town became the site of a royal palace, the Palace of Placentia from the 15th century, and was the birthplace of many Tudors, including Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. The palace fell into disrepair during the English Civil War and was demolished to be replaced by the Royal Naval Hospital for Sailors, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and his assistant Nicholas Hawksmoor. These buildings became the Royal Naval College in 1873, and they remained a military education establishment until 1998 when they passed into the hands of the Greenwich Foundation. The historic rooms within these buildings remain open to the public; other buildings are used by University of Greenwich and Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance.

The town became a popular resort in the 18th century and many grand houses were built there, such as Vanbrugh Castle es...
»more


APRIL
17
2021

 

West Smithfield, EC1A
West Smithfield is the oldest street of the Smithfield area. Smithfield and its market was founded in 1137. The ancient parish of St Sepulchre extended north to Turnmill Street, to St Paul’s Cathedral and Ludgate Hill in the south, and along the east bank of the Fleet (now the route of Farringdon Street). St Sepulchre’s Tower contains the twelve ’bells of Old Bailey’, referred to in the nursery rhyme "Oranges and Lemons". Traditionally, the Great Bell was rung to announce the execution of a prisoner at Newgate.

A livestock market was in the area as early as the 10th century.

As a large open space close to the City, Smithfield was a popular place for public gatherings. In 1374 Edward III held a seven-day tournament at Smithfield. Possibly the most famous medieval tournament at Smithfield was that commanded in 1390 by Richard II.

The Priory of St Bartholomew had long treated the sick. After the Reformation it was left with neither income nor monastic occupants but, following a petition by the C...
»more


APRIL
16
2021

 

Old Ford Road, E3
Old Ford Road stretches two and a quarter miles from Bethnal Green to Bow. Old Ford Road represents two separate ways from different points to the sometime passage across the Lee, one being from the west, the other from the south, which in meeting converged with a third from the north which is known now as Wick Lane, the communication with Hackney.

In ancient times the estuary of the river Lee extended as far as Hackney Wick, and during the period when the Romans were in Britain the marshes which lay above it and on either side were crossed in the direction of Leyton by a stone causeway of which portions have been found, but of any contemporary road leading to it no traces have been discovered, although Roman remains were unearthed in 1868 in the coal and goods yard attached to Old Ford Station. The probability is that there was no military highway of massive construction such as those found elsewhere, but a track formed by use which led through woods and over the open fields to the first fordable place on the river Lee or Lea, a name derived ...
»more


APRIL
15
2021

 

Crossharbour
Crossharbour is a station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Bank-Lewisham Line in Cubitt Town. The station opened as ’Crossharbour’ on 31 August 1987 but was renamed in 1994 to ’Crossharbour and London Arena’. After the neighbouring London Arena was demolished in 2006, the original name was reinstated. Just to the north of the current station, the London and Blackwall Railway built Millwall Docks station. This operated between 1871 and 1926.

The ’cross harbour’ name refers to the nearby Glengall Bridge across Millwall Inner Dock. The bridge’s construction was a neccessity for the developers to obtain planning approval for the dock when it was built in 1868.

In 1969 Tower Hamlets council completed the St John’s estate on the Cubitt Town side of the station. The project was begun 17 years earlier by Poplar Borough Council.
»read full article


APRIL
14
2021

 

Narrow Street, E14
Narrow Street is a road running parallel to the River Thames through the Limehouse area. Many archaeologists believe that Narrow Street represents the line of the medieval river wall. This wall was built to reclaim riverside marshland and to protect it from the tides.

A combination of tides and currents made this point on the Thames a natural landfall for ships. The first wharf was complete in 1348. Lime kilns or oasts (’lymehostes’) used in the production of mortar and pottery were built here in the fourteenth century.

Houses were then built, on the wall itself at first, but then outwards onto the foreshore by a process of encroachment. Indeed, the eastern end of Narrow Street was previously known as Fore Street.

The area grew rapidly in Elizabethan times as a centre for world trade. The neighbourhood supplied ships with ropes and other necessities; pottery was also made here for the ships. Ship chandlers settled here building wooden houses and wharves in the cramped space between street and river.

By the t...
»more


APRIL
13
2021

 

Westminster Bridge, SE1
Westminster Bridge links Westminster on the west side with Lambeth on the east side. Westminster Bridge was built between 1739–1750 under the supervision of Swiss engineer Charles Labelye.

For over 600 years, the nearest Thames bridge to London Bridge had been at Kingston. A bridge at Westminster was proposed in 1664, but opposed by both the Corporation of London and watermen. A bridge was built at Putney in 1729 and the Westminster Bridge scheme finally received parliamentary approval in 1736. Financed by private capital, lotteries and grants, Westminster Bridge opened on 18 November 1750.

The bridge assisted the development of south London. Roads on both sides of the river were built and improved, including Charing Cross Road and the area around the Elephant & Castle.

By the mid-19th century the bridge was subsiding badly and expensive to maintain. The current bridge was designed by Thomas Page and opened on 24 May 1862. Since the removal of Rennie’s New London Bridge in 1967 it is the oldest road structure which cros...
»more


APRIL
12
2021

 

Orange Square, SW1W
Orange Square is a small open area in Belgravia. Under the mature London plane trees of Orange Square is a statue of a young Mozart by Philip Jackson. Mozart as an eight year old lived at 180 Ebury Street in 1764 and 1765 while on a grand tour of Europe with his father. There, the child prodigy composed his first two symphonies.

In 1764, Orange Square - then called Pimlico Green - was an open area with sheep and donkeys grazing, and market gardens providing local vegetables.

Orange Square has a pub called The Orange which started as the Orange Coffee House and Tavern in 1776.

A timber yard was built around 1839 by John Newson who lived and worked from 19 Bloomfield Terrace. He built the houses of Bloomfield Terrace, called after the original name of his wife as well as some in the neighbouring streets of Ebury Street and Bourne Street. The shops on Pimlico Road, which date from the early 1840s are the oldest surviving buildings on Orange Square. Around this time the informal name Pimlico...
»more


APRIL
11
2021

 

Aste Street, E14
Aste Street is a short street which once connected the western ends of Roffey Street and Judkin Street. There had been a housing boom in Cubitt Town which finished in 1867. A housing slump continued for over a decade before a revival of activity during the 1880s.

In 1882 the Millwall Dock Company produced a plan to set out Aste Street, Judkin Street, Muggeridge Street and Roffey Street in an area behind East Ferry Road. The plan was approved but barely carried out as planned with only ten houses being built in Judkin Street.

Muggeridge Street, Roffey Street and Aste Street were not started by 1902. Muggeridge Street was abandoned in 1904 and in 1908 it was agreed that much of Roffey Street and Aste Street would not continue as planned.

Aste Street is now a street with modern housing in keeping with the later Canary Wharf ’style’.
»read full article


APRIL
10
2021

 

Dollis Hill
Dollis Hill tube station lies on the Jubilee Line, between Willesden Green and Neasden. Metropolitan Line trains pass though the station, but do not stop. The Dollis Hill Estate was formed in the early 19th century, when the Finch family bought up a number of farms in the area to form a single estate. Dollis Hill House itself was built in the 1820s.

William Ewart Gladstone, the UK Prime Minister, was a frequent visitor to Dollis Hill House in the late 19th century. The year after his death, 1899, Willesden Council acquired much of the Dollis Hill Estate for use as a public park, which was named Gladstone Park.

Mark Twain stayed in Dollis Hill House in the summer of 1900. He wrote that ’Dollis Hill comes nearer to being a paradise than any other home I ever occupied’.

With the advent of a station at Dollis Hill in 1909, the area began to urbanise. It became a suburban area favoured by Jewish Londoners moving out of the East End - its synagogue opened in 1938.

The code-breaking Colossus computer, used at Bletchley Park during the Second World War, was built at the Post Off...
»more


APRIL
9
2021

 

Norfolk Street, WC2R
Norfolk Street ran from the Strand in the north to the River Thames and, after the Victoria Embankment was built (1865–1870), to what is now Temple Place. Norfolk Street was built on an area originally occupied by Arundel House and its gardens. This was the property of the Howard family, Dukes of Norfolk. Norfolk Street and its neighbouring streets - Arundel Street, Howard Street and Surrey Street - were all built after Arundel House was demolished by the earl in 1678.

10 Norfolk Street was Hastings House, home to the Women Writers’ Club from 1894. The early literary agent A. P. Watt practised there. The Middle Classes Defence Organisation was also based in this building.

Oswaldestre House was at 33 Norfolk Street. The name refers to the another title of the Duke of Norfolk, Baron Oswaldestre. of the Dukes of Norfolk. Oswaldestre House was associated with radio technology. The Western Electric Company had an early radio station (2WP) in the building in 1922.

Former inhabitants of Norfolk Street included writers Percy Bysshe Shelley, Alfred Tennyson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Washington ...
»more


APRIL
8
2021

 

Clarendon Crescent, W2
Clarendon Crescent was said to be the longest road in London without a turning. By 1861 Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm had been demolished and Clarendon Street, Woodchester Street and Cirencester Street were build on their lands.

There was a rapid social decline in the streets between the railway and the canal. Subletting to weekly lodgers had made Brindley Street the most overcrowded in Paddington, with over 3 people to a room. By 1869, when the worst areas were near the canal basin at Paddington Green.

Clarendon Street (later Crescent) had 17 people per house on average. Subletting had gone so far that a room might have different tenants by day and by night and could only be controlled by declaring buildings to be lodging houses. Such decay was attributed in 1899 to the canal, as elsewhere in London, to isolation arising from a lack of through traffic and to the density of building.

The road was renamed from Clarendon Street to Clarendon Crescent, probably as part of the 1937 London-wide renaming scheme.
...
»more


APRIL
7
2021

 

Playford Road, N4
Playford Road was built in 1869/1870. Playford Road was originally Palmerston Road and name after Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, (1784-1865), Prime Minister, February 1855 to February 1858 and from 1859 to November 1865.

However Playford Road itself commemorates John Playford (1623-86) who had a 20 roomed house in Islington High Street. His wife kept a
boarding school for young ladies, opposite to the parish church. His son was baptised there on 6 October 1665. In 1650-1 appeared his ’The English Dancing Master, or Plaine and Easie Rules for the Dancing of Country Dances, with the Time to Each Dance’. This work ran to no less than 18 editions up to 1725.

Clifton Court was built in Playford Road during 1968.

»read full article


APRIL
6
2021

 

Boxall Road, SE21
Boxall Road was formerly Boxall Row. In about 1773, wheelwright John Shaw and builder William Levens built six brick houses at the eastern end (starting with a wheelwright’s shop), for Robert Boxall, lessee of ’The Greyhound’ Inn. The road was gradually extended westward, to link up with Turney Road in the late 1870s.

Dulwich Village was expanding rapidly by the late 1870s and this brought work for gardeners, cooks and other occupations that tended to the needs of the wealthy. There was an increasing shortage of accommodation for the low-paid.

One of the Governors of Dulwich College therefore set up the Dulwich Cottage Company Ltd (DCCL) to provide low rental housing for those who attended to the richer homes of Dulwich. It acquired land from Dulwich College Estate that faced onto Boxall Row.

Cottages in Boxall Road were designed by Charles Barry Jnr, architect to the Dulwich Estate, in the ’Dutch/German’ style designed to blend in with the character of the locality, despite being smaller.
»read full article


APRIL
5
2021

 

Ethelburga Street, SW11
Ethelburga Street was named after Saint Æthelburh (Ethelburga), founder and first Abbess of Barking. Ethelburga was the sister of Earconwald, Bishop of London. Earconwold founded a double monastery at Barking for his sister, and a monastery at Chertsey for himself. Barking appears to have already been established by the time of the plague in 664 AD.

Ethelburga had been at some time based in a manor which was sited in what became Battersea Park near to Albert Bridge Road.

Before Battersea Bridge was built around 1771, the area contained scattered houses, lanes and tracks. Once lane which then stretched right across the modern Battersea Park was Marsh Lane. The section across the park disappeared but the remainder of Marsh Lane was made into Ethelburga Street in 1871. At the time, the street stretched from Battersea Bridge Road to Albert Bridge Road.

A house called Park House (now demolished) was built in 1873 at the (north) corner of Ethelburga Street and Battersea Bridge Road for Benjamin Cooke, a builder who built a lot of Battersea.
»more


APRIL
4
2021

 

Bevington Road, W10
Bevington Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10 It runs from Golborne Road in the northwest and formerly ran on to Acklam Road - today though it ends in a cul-de-sac.

At the western end, a pub called the Carnarvon Castle separated it from Portobello Road. Also near that end is Bevington Primary School, built on the site of a former side street called Angola Mews.
»read full article


APRIL
3
2021

 

College Crescent, NW3
College Crescent was built by the Eyre family. The Eyre family were local landowners and became keen to promote building. In 1794 a plan was drawn up on the model of Bath, with a crescent, circus and a square. The plan was never executed but from 1802 development on the Eyre estate was directed by John Shaw, a young architect inspired by the town-planning ideals of the late 18th century. In 1803-4 he exhibited views of a projected circus and in 1807 building began on the Marylebone portion.

In 1819 Col. Eyre began the first of several attempts to promote the construction of a public road through his estate, ultimately successful in the Finchley Road Act of 1826. Finchley New Road and Avenue Road, the southern part of which existed by 1824, went northward into the Hampstead portion of Eyre’s land and were built by 1829. The Swiss Cottage tavern was built at the apex of the two roads by 1841.

College Crescent was then laid out in the 1840s, and by 1852 the first thirteen houses had been built there. T...
»more


APRIL
2
2021

 

Marble Arch
Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway. Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.

The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.

The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.
»read full article


APRIL
1
2021

 

Collingwood Street, E2
Collingwood Street was at the heart of the Old Nicol rookery. In 1680, John Nichol of Gray’s Inn leased just over four acres of gardens for 180 years to a London mason, Jon Richardson, with permission to dig for bricks. The land became built up piecemeal with houses. Many of the local streets were named after Nichol.

At least 22 houses were built in Old Nichol Street in 1801-2, probably on the sites of 17th-century ones.

An area of this was named Friar’s Mount probably after James Fryer who farmed it in the 1720s. Friar’s Mount was sold to Sanderson Turner Sturtevant, a tallow chandler who was leasing out ground on the west side of Turk Street by 1804. A John Gadenne was building on the west side of Mount Street in 1807. Mount Street, from Rose Street to Virginia Row, existed by 1806. Nelson Street and Collingwood Streets ran west from Mount Street by 1807.

A garden - Kemp’s Garden - was taken for building at about the same time. Mead built nine houses in Mead Street in 1806 and others were un...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.