Print-friendly version of this page
Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road
The fire station opened in 1894 after the site was purchased by the London County Council Fire Brigade Committee. It replaced an earlier station built by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
It was used until 1969 when a new fire station was opened by the Greater London Council on the Harrow Road
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Paddington Fire Station (c.1900)
London Metropolitan Archives
Abercorn Place, NW8 Abercorn Place is on the Harrow School Estate and is named after James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, a governor of the school. Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream. Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Loudoun Road, NW8 Loudoun Road, dating from the 1850s, was originally known as Bridge Road. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain.
Edgware Road station was part of the world's first underground railway when it was opened as part of the Metropolitan Railway between Paddington and Farringdon on 1 October 1863.
The main Edgware Road station now serves the Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines.
A second Edgware Road station was opened on 15 June 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) when it extended its line from the temporary northern terminus at Marylebone. In common with other early stations of the lines owned by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London, that station was designed by architect Leslie Green with an ox-blood red glazed terracotta façade.