Lodge Farm was owned by Merton Priory until the dissolution of the monastery in 1538.
Sir Richard Garth was Lord of the Manor in the 1600s.
This farm was originally called Spital Farm - it is not known when its name changed to Lodge Farm. It was a mixture of arable, grass, orchards and market gardening.
From the late 1700s to the early 1900s, the farm was owned by members of the Hoare banking family but they only lived at The Lodge (a large house) next door until the mid nineteenth century. The farm itself was by then run by their bailiff but in the latter half of the 1800s, the land was divided and leased to various farmers.
In 1910, The Lodge is described as being of timber with a pantile roof. It had a sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms, a wash room, an outside toilet and a garden. Various cow stalls were described and three farm yards mentioned. There were also stables.
There was a public footpath through the farm estate which went from Central Road
(formerly Morden Lane) to Bishopsford Road
(formerly Sutton Road). The section from Central Road
to the farm was called Farm Lane - originally the carriageway to the mansion. Farm Road
was not built on until 1931.
The land for Morden Recreation Ground
, which covers part of the farmland, was opened in 1926.